Search for content in message boards

Hamill family from Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Hamill family from Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted: 17 Jun 2002 3:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather's name was Andrew McLean HAMILL, born in 1887 in Ballymena, Co. Antrim. I know he had a brother John who died as a child, but he also had a brother Thomas HAMILL and Margaret "Maggie" HAMILL who were both sent to Glasgow, Scotland to be raised by other family members. I understand "Uncle Tom" married, had a large family, and remained in Scotland. Maggie married Tom GAULT. She came to America by way of Canada and moved to New Rochelle, NY (Westchester County). They had a son named Tommy GAULT who worked for the Post Office and a son named Willie. I am mainly trying to get more information on my grandfather's parents, but I am stuck there as I am not sure what their names were. My grandfather Andrew HAMILL married Charlotte JUNK and they lived in New Rochelle, NY for a while and eventually moved to Darien, CT, where they lived until they died. If anyone has any information about this HAMILL family, it would be greatly appreciated. One other tidbit is that I understand my grandfather had an uncle who moved out west to North Dakota after he immigrated form Ireland, but I don;t know what his name was.

Re: Hamill family from Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Patricia Fisher Hamill (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2002 11:37AM GMT
Surnames: Hamill, Hammill
Good Morning Donna,

Do you know anything earlier then 1887?
Do you know where in Ballymena?

I am looking for Hamills from the early 1800s. I am searching the Hamill family of Patrick, Henry, Roger, and Hugh Hamill. It is believed that Patrick and Hugh left in 1803. Patrick immigrated to the US [occupation teacher] and settled in Allegany & Garrett Cty., MD. Hugh is believed to have gone to France. Roger's son, Henry, immigrated before 1830 and married his first cousin Nancy, daughter of Patrick. Roger stayed in Ireland. I have found the following below which could be the family I am searching.

Pattie

I think that I found Roger - I found a Roger in the right area in the right time frame -
FHL film#258749
Title: Griffith's Primary Valuation: Antrim, Ballycastle, Ballymena, Belfast Union

Valuation II, 13A 1862
Front Page: Union of Ballymena, County of Antrim "Dated at the office of the General Valuation of Ireland Dublin the 23 Day of January 1862"

viii: Skerry, Parish of
Ordinance Parish, Townland, Streeets Electrorial District Pg.
28,33 Ballymena
28,33 Breakagh Longmore 87

pg. 87

pg. 87 : Ballymena
no. and Letters of Reference to Map: 11 C
Names: Townlands: --------
Names: Immediate: Rev. William C. O'Neil
Discription of Tenement: National School-house and garden
A. R. P.: 0,2,0
f.s.d.: 0,5,0
s.s.d Bld. L.s. D: 1,0,0
Total: f.s,d: 1,5.0

continued pg. 87 Breakagh
no. and letters of Referene to Map: 9 R
Names: Townlands: Roger Hamill
Names: Immediate: Rev. Wm. C. O'Neil
Discription os Tenement: House , Offices, and Land
Acres: 2,3,30
Rateable Annual Valuation Land /Bldg: 1,15,0/ 0,10,0

There are two of interest in the next film: I have listed the information vertically but it was really set up like a census where the top of the page listed what informtion was listed below line after line for each entry. So where they had the heavier double lines between the columns I have "---" to show this.

FHL Film: #258468
Tithe Apploment Book
Skerry Parish 1825

Parish: Skerry
Diocese of: Connor
County: Antrim

Number: 490
-------
Name:= Henry Hamill
--------
Acres:= 2
R.= 3
D.= 20
--------
Value of acres= 20'-0
--------
Amount= 2
---------
= 17
--------
= 6
--------
Tythe= 2
--------
= 7
--------
= 0
--------
Amount of tythe on the townland= Blank

Number: 492
-------
Name:= Roger Hamill
--------
Acres:= 11
R.= 1
D.= 13
--------
Value of acres= 18'-0
--------
Amount= 10
---------
= 3
--------
= 11
--------
Tythe= 2
--------
= 12
--------
= 6
--------
Amount of tythe on the townland= Blank

Loration: Claggin
Number:501 and 502
-------
Name:= Lord O'Neil

Number: 571
-------
Name:= Ber'd Hamill
--------
Acres:= 13
R.= 2
D.= 26
--------
Value of acres= 17'-0
--------
Amount= 11
---------
= 12
--------
= 3
--------
Tythe= 3
--------
=
--------
=
--------
Amount of tythe on the townland= 14 - 4

Posted: 17 Jun 2002 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2002 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: HAMILL, JUNK, GAULT
No, I do not know where in Ballymena my HAMILLs are from. I am also not sure exactly when my grandfather immigrated. I have been unable to find him in Ellis Island records. The 1920 census image is very unclear and looks like it says he immigrated in 1887, but that is when he was born, and I know that he grew up in Ireland and worked on farms until he could save enough money for his passage. The census image also showed his naturalization date of 1911, which makes sense because he married my grandmother in 1912. I was hoping to connect with someone connected to either his sister Margaret "Maggie" HAMILL GAULT or brother Thomas HAMILL who might know more information about their parents.

Patricia Fisher Hamill (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2002 11:11AM GMT
Surnames: Hamill
I am sorry that I have nothing that I can find or tie with your family but it is good to know who is attatched to who as we search so thank you for posting. I do hope that you do find your connection. Let us know if and when you do so that it will help with these few Hamill in Ballymena, County of Antrim, Ireland.

I did find this list in a Library once. There is no mentation of Andrew but he should have been a child at this time and could have been in one of the following households.

Pattie

Title of Book: Land Owners in Ireland 1876 of One Acres and Upwards Province of Ulster
Pub: Genealogy Publishing Co., 1988
ISBN: 0-8063-1203-3
McClung Reference Library, Knoxville, TNCall # 929.3415, Ireland

Name of Owner-- Address-- Extent-- Valuation[A. R. P. lb. s.]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Province: Ulster

County: Antrim : Population 1871: 394,618
Inhabited Houses 69,439
Pg. 189
Hamill, Arthur --French House--Upper Falls--[ 129. 3. 5.-- 963. 0.]

Hamill, John-- Ballyrobert, Doagh-- [43. 1. 10.-- 45. 0.]

Hamill,John-- French House, Upper Falls -- [276. 0. 0.-- 950. 10.]

Hamill, John-- Moycraig, Mosside--[ 277. 3. 35.-- 164. 0.]

Hamill, Samuel --Ballyrobert, Doagh --[ 45. 3. 35.-- 46. 0.]

Hamill, William --Moycraig-- [218. 3. 20.-- 116. 15.]

Donna Hamill Martin (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2002 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: HAMILL, JUNK, GAULT, WILSON, ALLEN
Thank you for your reply. I had also seen the same landowners list that you included. I also have now learned that the name of Andrew's father was the same as my father - William Hamill. Noone in our family knew that. So, it is a good possibility that the William Hamill listed in Moycraig could be him. I'm not really sure where to go with that yet. But thanks again for the info.

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 7:04AM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2004 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hamill, Wilson, Pryde
Hello - My mum, Janet Pryde Hamill, married Charles Lawson in 1933.
Janet was one of 7-9 children, born of Thomas Hamill, and Mary Jane Pryde (who became a Hamill when she married Thomas)
My third cousin, Cathie Grant, sent me information about the Hamill's.
I thought we had a Helen Wilson who married a Hamill in Antrim.
Third cousin Cathie is our expert.

Donna Hamill Martin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2004 3:55PM GMT
The Wilsons in my family actually married on my grendamother;s side of the family, so they would nothave been Hamills, but I would be very interested to learn more about your Thomas Hamill. My grandfather Andrew had an older brother named Thomas who went to Scotland to live and raised a very large family from what I heard. Again, their father's name was William Hamill and they were from Ballymena in Antrim County. I do not have a lot of info on Thomas otherwise. Anything you can share would be helpful. Maybe we have a connection!

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2004 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hamill, Lawson, Barker
I have passed this information on to my third cousin, Cathie, in Canada. She seems to be able to work it all out. so will wait and hear.
Thanks for your reply.
Mary

Posted: 26 Aug 2004 3:06AM GMT
I have a John Davison Hamill who died very young. He had a sister Margaret 1892 and a brother James 1878

Posted: 26 Aug 2004 3:09AM GMT
I forgot to mention that James, John and Margaret had a brother George who moved to the western U.S
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions