Search for content in message boards

Liddells in Louisiana

Liddells in Louisiana

Lelah Liddell (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2001 9:59PM GMT
My great-great-great grandfather was John R. Liddell (Liddell's Records). My grandfather was John Norman Liddell. Please send my any information anyone might have. Thank You.

liddells in louisiana correction

lelah (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2001 10:12PM GMT
correction--they'res a few more greats in there--

St. John Richardson Liddell

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 10:01PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 1:24AM GMT
There's a lot of information about him because he's a historical figure. Here's something from a Louisiana Census
#589-612*
ST.JOHN R.LIDDELL 35 M Planter Miss.
Mary 30 F Ky.
Bethia F. 8 F Miss.
Sarah M. 7 F Miss.
Wm. 4 M La.
Louisa 2 F La.
Volney M. 1 M La.
CAROLINE N.GRIFFIN 15 F Miss.
JOHN W.COCKERHAM 28 M Overseer La.
MOSES LIDDELL 5 M La.

1850 Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Census Footnotes
Submitted by Carol Young Knight
#589-612 ST. JOHN R.(RICHARDSON) LIDDELL (b. 1815 - d. 1870
Lanada Plantation, Catahoula Parish, La. Conf. Brig. General - age 35 in the
1850 Census b. Miss. m. Mary Metcalf Roger (b. 1820 Ky. - d. 1869
buried Lanada Plantation); Sarah M. Liddell, age 15, died at Leander on Black River Friday, April 9, 1858, second daughter of St. John R. and Mary Liddell; Wm (Roger) Liddell age 4 in 1850 Census; Louisa (R.)
Liddell m. Wm. P. McMillan Apr. 2, 1869; Caroline N. Griffin m. Marcellin Gillis May 25, 1854; Judge Moses Liddell died at Warm Springs in Arkansas June 13, 1856 at the age of 72. Judge Liddell was born in South Carolina March 5, 1785 and settled in Mississippi in 1804

There are also online transcriptions of newpaper reports of the Jones-Liddell feud.

Re: Liddells in Louisiana

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2002 8:30PM GMT
Please contact me directly at my e-mail as I have information concerning this family.

Re: St. John Richardson Liddell

Posted: 15 Oct 2001 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2003 3:23PM GMT
The entire records of the Liddell plantation near Sliddell LA are in the LSU or LA State Liddell. Ann Liddell who was the chief librarian told me this 20 years ago before she died in Hammond, where she was living at the time. The papers are the South's most complete for a plantation and are the subject of many scholarly papers.

Sorry I don't have time to reply in more detail to this or other messages directed to me. I am having a crisis.

Jim Liddell

Ron Liddell (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2001 8:09PM GMT
I believe you have confused two Moses Liddells. St John's father was Moses John, 1815-1870. St John had a son also named Moses John Liddell who was known as "Judge" Liddell. I have a copy of Judge's obit if you are interested.

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 2:42PM GMT
Ron,
Here's the URL where the Catahoula census is posted:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/catahoul/census/50ca...

And here's where the transcriber's footnotes are posted:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/catahoul/census/50ft...

The dates in here footnotes do seem confusing.

Ron Liddell (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2001 3:01PM GMT
Here's a portion of Judge's obit from The Telegraph-Bulletin, October 10, 1891.

The Telegraph-Bulletin
Saturday, October 10, 1891
Page 2, Column 2
Death of Judge Liddell.
"Judge M.J. Liddell, formerly of this city, died at his home in
Bozeman, Montana, last Saturday. We have no particulars but his death must have been very sudden as his friends here had not been apprized of his illness. "
"Judge Liddell was born in Catahoula parish on the estate of
his father, Gen. St. John Liddell, and was about 45 years of age. He settled in Richland parish after the war where he engaged in planting and the practice of the law, was parish Judge and subsequently a member of the legislature. He removed with his family to this city about 1880, practicing his profession here, and at different times was associated with Hon. C.J. Boatner and Col. R. Richardson. In 1881 he was appointed by President Cleveland Judge of the federal court of the then territory of Montana, with headquarters at Begenian(?) where he removed in that year and resided up to the time of his death. Montana having been admitted to the union as a state his office terminated and he returned to the practice of the law."

One of the problems with having family members with the same names is the confusion it causes. Other family documentation and St John's biography support that Judge was his son. Just proves you can't always accept some of the things you find on the net as fact.

Posted: 9 May 2002 10:50PM GMT
My greatgrandfather (Henry Jackson b. 1835 KY) was a slave on the Lanada Plantation at Catahoula Parish, LA. I have been seeking information on the plantation and it's records. I live in Kansas, but am willing to do what research is necessary to complete my family tree. Please provide more information on the Lanada Plantation.

Posted: 9 May 2002 10:55PM GMT
My greatgrandfather was a slave on the Lananda Plantation in Catahoula Parish, LA. I am seeking access to the plantation records; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions