Search for content in message boards

Castlereagh and Portaupique Mountain Cemeteries

Castlereagh and Portaupique Mountain Cemeteries

Posted: 21 May 2012 2:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know the locations of these 2 cemeteries in Nova Scotia? Haven't been able to find them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Castlereagh and Portaupique Mountain Cemeteries

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 3:30PM GMT
Exactly a year ago today, I spent an afternoon at the Castlereagh Pioneer Cemetery - quite a thrill for me. It is quite difficult to find as the road is in very poor condition. A 4 wheel drive or quad would be the ideal vehicle to reach it. To find it you to north from Bass River on the New Minas Road and turn north on the Old Castlereagh Road. These roads are quite well marked. Follow Old Castlereagh Road for about 15k and you will pass the turnoff to Gamble Lake. Just a short way along, you will see the sign for the Castlereagh Pioneer Cemetery. The cemetery itself is set in the woods and is very overgrown, but a good search will find some stones in good condition. Of the fifty some odd burials I have in my records, I found about a dozen stones that were readable. Many of the graves, I understand, were marked by simple field stones and the heavy moss has covered any markings that may be there. Many of my ancestors are buried there and it is a beautiful place to see. ps - Take lots of bug spray!

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 3:54PM GMT
Thank you so much for your help. My friend and I drove out there (in my 4x4 truck) one day but did not see any sign. Did see the Gamble Lake turnoff. So the cemetery is fairly close to that turnoff? Perhaps we drove too far....we were to the Silica Lake turnoff. You are definitely correct when you say the road is in poor condition! I too have relatives there as well and would be thrilled to see it and photograph the headstones there. I am descended from Fultons.

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 4:02PM GMT
Karen,

If you send me your email address, I'll be glad to send you some of the photos we took last summer. Most of my family up there are Gambles, but of course we have quite a sprinkling of the Fultons as well. Maybe the photos will help you find the cemetery. I do have photos of Francis Fulton and Mary Bogg's grave.

I'm at mbraggsymons@gmail.com

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 4:07PM GMT
That would be wonderful! Thank you so much!! My email is kwilson3@telus.net

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 4:12PM GMT
I do have thousands of photos from many cemeteries in Colchester and Hants Counties. I would be more than happy to share if there are any you need that I might have......

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 4:31PM GMT
We sound like kindred spirits! I have lots too. I spent the last three summers in Nova Scotia doing genealogical research. I live in Saskatoon so it's a bit of a hike but I really fell in love with your part of the country! We should put our heads together and see what photos each of us has and which ones we need. I am presently working on the Portaupique Beach Cemetery. Do you have any there?

Marilyn

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 4:58PM GMT
I have about 57 pictures from the Portaupique Beach Cemetery so far. I will make a list for you tonight and email it to you if you'd like!

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 9:27PM GMT
Karen,

That would be wonderful! I have just been looking at your photos on My Heritage - and two things are obvious: 1. We hang out in a lot of the same cemeteries (Bass River, Economy, Portaupique Beach and others) and 2. If you are related to even a few of those folks in your photos, we are definitely related. We'll have to try and figure it out sometime. I descend from Gambles, Starritts, Crawfords, Fultons, Creelmans, Johnsons, Dills, Davisons, Campbells, Cooks and all their inter-related families. Fun eh!

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 10:28PM GMT
I am most definitely related to those people! My mother was a Fulton and married a Creelman. My grandfather grew up in the old Homestead built by Judge James Fulton in Bass River.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions