Search for content in message boards

Ship's manifest entries w/word "bril"?

Ship's manifest entries w/word "bril"?

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jun 2013 3:21PM GMT
I am trying to track down an aunt of my husband's grandmother but am having a hard time deciphering the manifest record from 1911. On the first line, where it says who she was coming to be with in America, the first word looks very much like "Bril" and I'm noticing it appears in many other entries, both in this box and in the one indicating who paid passage. Was this some form of "bride," indicating young women coming to meet their fiances or husbands? Could it be brother in law? I also cannot make out the last name -- is there anyone who's particularly good at deciphering old-fashioned handwriting? It looks to me like Grubner or Kutner. I've attached a screen shot of that box. Thank you.
Attachments:

Re: Ship's manifest entries w/word "bril"?

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 3:09AM GMT
I think it looks like Kutner. The other word is hard to read, can you post a larger portion of the page, or tell us where you found it so we can look at the actual manifest?

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 3:15AM GMT
Thanks so much. Here is the entire page. She is line 12.
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 3:24AM GMT
I agree, it does look like Bril, but not sure what that means. My best guess, is that it may be some sort of agency that helped her emmigrate and employed her.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 4:52PM GMT
Ask your question in the archives of Rotterdam once. The ladies are very kind.

Gemeentearchief Rotterdam
Postbus 71, 300 AB Rotterdam/NL

or e-mail

http://www.gemeentearchief.rotterdam.nl/

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 12:31AM GMT
I think the name is 'Kutner', but I am pretty sure the word is not 'bril'.

If you look at the 'B' in 'brother' below, the loop is completely different, and this letter is repeated in exactly the same way several times.

I suspect it means something like 'Self' as in they paid their own passage and the address given will be their own residence.

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 6:38AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2013 6:41AM GMT
I believe you are correct with brother-in-law (even though the "b" in brother is written entirely differently. The "B" in her first name, which Ancestry has transcribed as Beile, is written the same as the B in Bril. I believe I have seen other lists where it says br-i-l. On this list, it looks to me like "A. Kutner."

According to Ancestry's city directories for Lynn, Mass. in 1912, "Abram" Kutner lived at 180 Summer St. ("180 Summers St." on the passenger list)and he was a shoeworker.

According to the 1910 Census, Abraham's wife was Rachel. If Rachel is a sister to the person you're looking for, then A. Kutner would indeed be her brother-in-law.

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 10:49AM GMT
Surnames: Kutner Krantz
Thank you all very much. I suspect it was indeed the Kutners at 180 Summer Street and am deep in the process of unraveling their connection to her. I am so grateful for your help. The next mystery is who Abraham Kutner's widowed sister in law "Bessie" is in the 1920 census, when they live in Revere Massachusetts. If anyone wants to guess at her last name, (it's faded and hard to make out), please do! Ancestry reads it as "Krantz," but i think it might end in "itz." I think I've searched every Beile and Bessie born between 1890 and 1900 and can't find any other mention of her. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions