Search for content in message boards

Joseph Putnam

Joseph Putnam

Jennifer Van Alstyne (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 4:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Putnam, Porter, Parris, Williams, Corwin
I am trying to see if I can find any supporting documentation that the Putnams and Porters could be found at opposite ends of events/issues in Salem before & during the witch trails. I came across a book that stated that one man named Thomas Putnam Sr. died and left everything to the 2nd wife Mary Veren Putnam & their one son Joseph. The book continued to state that the children from the first marriage were bitter toward the 2nd wife and their step brother who recieved all of their fathers estate. The eldest son felt that it was rightfully his.

The story continues to state that the stepbrother Joseph married Elizabeth Porter a family with just about as much if not more money than the Putnams.

The Putnams were said to belong to the church of Samuel Parris (father and Uncle to Betty Parris, and Abigail Williams who are said to have started the whole thing)

Some say it was more like "The What's in it for me" period vs. a Witch hunt. The sheriff George Corwin got $ for auctioning off the accused's property, the elder Putnams seek revenge.

Please send me your thoughts and leads. I have found some info on the Putnam family but no evidence on the Porter side.

Re: Joseph Putnam

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Putnam, Porter
I think you might find Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum's Salem Possessed - The Social Origins of Witchcraft [ ISBN 0-674-78526-6 ] helpful. They devote an entire chapter to The Putnam-Porter feud, and the following chapter to Joseph Putnam, Jr. and his brothers. I have the book if you need look-ups. Frank Omar

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 1:52AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Interesting to say the least. I am a Porter dec. Some from this area.

walter t. crean (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2003 2:53PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Dane
really, from which porter are you descended? i am writing a book on the salem witch trials and i would like to put your lineage in my book. i have been researcing the trials because i am descended from an accused witch [susanna roots] as well as from one juror [john dane 3rd] as well as distantly related to twenty others through the dane family. if you could email me your lineage from the porter family to my address on yahoo, brianboru662002, i would greatly appreciate it and thanks.

walter

Posted: 6 May 2004 4:53AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2006 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
HI
I a decendent of John porter of Salem Ma. I would love to read what you have written.
Darlene

walter crean (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2004 1:26AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:17PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Herrick, Cue, Tarbox
sure, i would like that too. i am working with someone on their descent from three of john porter's children by lydia herrick: samuel porter, nehemiah porter, and mary (porter) cue tarbox. the last one, mary (porter) cue tarbox, may be wrong, but if you have any information on mary porter's marriage (or marriages), feel free to send that information to my address on yahoo, brianboru662002, as it would be useful to me. i am suspecting though that mary porter may have married robert cue and samuel tarbox or mary porter married just robert cue and her daughter (mary cue) married samuel tarbox. if you find out which it is, let me know with an email to brianboru662002@yahoo.com, thanks.

Darlene (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2004 3:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: porter
hello
I am a decendent of Hezediah porter. would love to hear from you

walter crean (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2004 7:29PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2004 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Herrick, Cue, Tarbox, Putnam, Perley, Osgood, Clement
hi, darlene, i am glad to hear from you. a friend and new relative in massachusetts, dave montegna, is descended from three children of john porter and lydia herrick [samuel porter, nehemiah porter, and mary (porter) cue tarbox]. i am doing his family tree from that branch of the family as i am writing a book on the 1692 salem witchcraft trials which includes the porter family's part in it. i know that a daughter of israel porter, elizabeth porter, m/1 joseph putnam and m/2 <widower> thomas perley, jr.; thomas perley, jr.'s first wife was sarah osgood, daughter of capt. john osgood and mary clement (an accused witch in 1692). did mary porter, nehemiah porter's sister, marry once or twice? i know she m/1 robert cue, jr., but i wasn't sure if she m/2 samuel tarbox or if her daughter [mary cue] married samuel tarbox. any information on that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Putnam
I can no longer find the reference, but I have a note for Joseph Putnam (Husband of Elizabeth porter) that suggests that he was well known for his opposition to the witch trials.

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2008 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Tarbox, Look, Armitage, Gott, Leighton, Dix, Phelps, Pinney, Burr, Knowland
I am descended from a Samuel Tarbox born 1647 in Lynn, Mass. He and Experience Look had 12 children. She was his second wife. He was an Ensign in King Philips War.
His father was John Tarbox and his mother was Rebekah Andrews. His first wife was Rebekah Armitage. She owned and had control of her inheritance from her grandmother Sarah Webb. Her father was Godfrey Amitage. Rebekah Armitage Tarbox died in childbirth in 1676. Her first child, Samuel Tarbox, born June 20, 1666, died at the age of 27 and did not marry. He was named after his dad as the first born. I am descended from Jonathan Tarbox of Lynn,Mass, born 1668 and married to Elinor (last name unknown), who was also later later married to John Gott. Godfrey was son of Jonathan m. Hannah Leighton. Godfrey died in Hebron, Conn. in 1768. He had a sister Experience Tarbox, a sister Hannah Tarbox that married John Gott(Jr?), Mary who married Nathaniel Root, Sarah that married Jonathan Root.
Jonathan Tarbox had a son Godfrey Tarbox, b 1696, married Hannah Leighton, daughter of Thomas Leighton and Sarah Dix. His fifth son was Solomon Tarbox married to Asenath Phelps, daugther of Ashbel Phelps and Anna Pinney. They gave birth to Roswell Tarbox who married Sally Burr and who died in Granby, Mass. His son Roswell Burr Tarbox married Bethena Knowland, who gave birth to Byron Roswell Tarbox, who married Eliza Bullis. They gave birth to Robert Owen Tarbox, my grandfather.
Probably different Samuel Tarboxes, but who knows.
Susanna Abbott
per page

Find a board about a specific topic