Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

Thompsons in Cherokee County

Posted: 1 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 12:32AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Lambert, Lamberth, Tompson
I am looking for information on Elisha Thompson who lived in Cherokee County before 1875 or so. I am told he was a fifer in the Civil war and that he lived in NC. He married or had children with a woman named Lucresia(not sure of the spelling) Lambert or Lamberth. They supposedly left NC for Kentucky about 1875. Elisha is suppose to be the son of William and Elizabeth Thompson. Would appreciate any information on this family. He was suppose to have been married before Lucresia and may have had children. Lucresia is suppose to be part Cherokee Indian and by the looks of her picture I would say so. Thanks for any info Debbie Stevens

Looking for the ancestory of the thompsons

Robin Mccarter (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
i am looking for research done on the family history of thompson in cherokee county, but the name of Franklin Thompson has come up somewhere.
Posted: 30 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Lambert, Beaty, Evans, Smith, Mathews
Robin: No I do not know anyone from Cherokee County, I had put in something on a Lambert Message Board I believe and a woman looked some things up for me. She is the one that told me there are not a lot of Thompsons in Cherokee County. There are Lambert's in Cherokee County. My mother-in-law was a Thompson and the Thompson's left Cherokee for Kentucky sometime after the civil war. I believe that the Elisha Thompson was married before, not sure who he was married to. I am having a lot of trouble with him. He evidently never married Lucresia Jane Lambert. She died under her maiden name. Elisha Thompson is suppose to have been born May 11, 1829 in NC.according to family info. His death certificate says May 1, 1827 in Virginia. All Census records from Kentucky say he was born in May 1925 in N.C. Since census records are things he probably had some control over I am guessing N.C. He is suppose to have children with his first wife, don't know what happened to them. The family thinks they went to Texas, and I can't say for sure but the names I have are Bud and Sarah. Elisha Thompson was a herb doctor and the family says Lucresia was too. Elisha was also a tall man for the period, 6ft4". If he is the Elisha Thompson I think him to be he may have left N.C. because of Civil War charges. The Elisha Thompson I think he is was in the Thomas Legion, Walker Battalion and that legion had a lot of Cherokee Indians in it and evidently caused some trouble by scalping some soldiers. You can find info on this on the web. There was a Nehemiah H. Thompson listed as a Bugler along with Elisha, both enlisted July 18, 1862 in Cherokee County N.C. I haven't been able to find him either or make a connection, but I think there may be one. Debbie P.S. How old was Franklin when he died? Willie Thompson, my husbands grandfather died in 1993 at the age of 94 and was the nicest man anyone could ever hope to meet.

the thompson's history

Surnames: thompsons
DEBBIE: THE FRANKLIN THOMPSON I WAS REFERRING TO JUST PASSED AWAY IN 1990. I PLANNED ON STARTING THERE AND GOING BACK THROUGH HISTORY THAT WAY. FRANKLIN IS MY GRANDFATHER AND I AM NOT 100% SURE HOW HE PASSED. WE WERE ALL BORN IN CHEROKEE COUNTY AND MY BIRTH NAME WAS THOMPSON. MY DAD HAD IT CHANGED SO I COULD SHARE HIS LAST NAME. I HAVE TO DISAGREE CAUSE I HEARD THERE WERE ALOT OF THOMPSONS IN CHEROKEE. I MEAN, YOU COULD BE RIGHT.I DON'T HAVE MUCH INFORMATION ON HIM CAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW HIM THAT WELL. DO YOU KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE IN CHEROKEE? I HAVE ALOT OF FAMILY UP THERE I DO NOT KNOW. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!THANK YOU, ROBIN.
Surnames: Thompsons, Lambert, Beaty, Mathews
Robin: Do you have any info on this Franklin Thompson? I have often wondered if Elisha was my husband's gggrandfather's name or not. I can seem to find anything on him for sure. The only info I have comes from his death certifcate and that was filled out by his Son-in-law. I have found a lot of info on death certificates to be untrue. There is a story from someone in the family that says this Elisha and Lucresia Thompson left Cherokee County in the middle of the night and got lost in the hills of Kentucky so that the sheriff couldn't find them. Kentucky is where they show up in 1900, but their children were born in 1870's in Kentucky so they had to have left Cherokee county sometime after the civil war and before 1875 or so. If you have any info I would appreciate knowing what it is. If Franklin is not Elisha they may be related. I don't think there were a lot of Thompson in Cherokee County. I've been told that there were a lot of Thompsons in Jackson County. Thanks Debbie

Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Lambert, Beaty, Mathews
Donna: I wish I could help you but I am about as lost on the Thompsons as you. I can tell you that there is Cherokee Indian in this family also but no one can remember where Grandpa Willie said it came from. Elisha Thompson b.abt 1820's had 1 son Elisha Francis and 2 daughters with Lucresia Jane Lambert, they were all born about 1875-1880 and claim to have been born in Adair County Kentucky. Elisha was an herb doctor, and grandpa Willie remembers his grandmother Lucresia talking about at night when they would go to sleep the Indian children would come and get the scraps from the fire. They never bothered anything else, they were just hungry. This was in N.C. if the kids remember the story right. Elisha Francis had 3 sons but only one lived to have a family and that is my husbands grandfather William Isaac Thompson, born 1899 in Wayne County Kentucky. Elisha the herb doctor's death certificate says he was the son of William and Elizabeth Thompson but I am not at all sure if this is correct. We believe that William Isaac was named after someone but we think it may be his grandfather William Mathews. I believe that Elisha the herb doctor was a confederate soldier in the Civil War, and that he was married to someone else and probably never married Lucresia. We are about as lost on the Lambert family as the Thompson family. I wish I had started this family research 10 years ago when my husbands grandfather was alive and in good health. His mind was sharp until he died at the age of 94 and would have told me anything he could remember about his grandmother and grandfather. He loved to talk and was always telling stories. If I find anything that can help you I will pass it on. What is the hothouse area of Cherokee county? Debbie
Edited: 20 Jun 2001 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Johnson, Kelley, Wallace, Kincaid, Ledford, Payne, Bowman
I also have been looking for my GGrandfather William Henry or Henry William Thompson in Cherokee County. He married (assumed)my GGrandmother Martha Kelley. Martha was born 1-1-1861. This would give you an idea of what year Henry could have been born. They had 4 children, all four girls. They were born between 1890 and 1900. By 1900 Martha is a widow. I do not know anything about my GGrandfather. I do know that they lived in the Hothouse area of Cherokee County. Martha was born in Union Co Ga, but after her father never came back from the war, they moved to Cherokee County. I don't know for sure where Martha met Henry. I just know that he had Indian blood because of the way my grandmother looked. I would love to find where he belonged. No one in Cherokee County remembers anything about him. My own father and aunts do not remember anything about their grandfather. I do not know if he left Martha or if he died. Any help would be so appreciated.

Donna
Surnames: Thompson, Lambert, Beaty, Mathews
Robin: I wish we could figure this out also. I just wonder if there is a connection. Have you checked out census information on the family to see who he was living with as a child? I have came up dead on the Thompsons and Lamberts before they show up in Kentucky in th 1870's. All I have to link them to Cherokee County is census records saying that is where they were born. Keep in touch and if I find anything I will be sure to pass it on. Debbie

Franklin Thompson

Debbie:Franklin Thompson was in his late 50's or early 60's when he died. I wish I could say he was a nice man, but he had an extremely bad temper that never seemed to go away. All of the Thompsons I am kin to are still in Cherokee now. None of my family has left there!! Except my immediate family that are still alive,which would be my aunts and uncles, Franklin's children.Otherwise, at this moment, I know of no other Thompsons. I am trying to track my family tree by getting information on Franklin. I figured he would be a good start.I hope we figure this out!!!Thank you, Robin

hot house community

Posted: 4 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2002 6:03PM GMT
The Hot House community is between the ranger and wolf creek communities.This would be between Murphy N.C. and Ducktown Tenn.
Lynda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic