Search for content in message boards

Judge Sylvanus I. BRAGG

Judge Sylvanus I. BRAGG

Shelby County History (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: BRAGG, IMGRAW, BALDWIN, MCGREW, STONE, SENARE, MOORE, HENDRON, GALLAGHER, WEST, SIMMONS, TRIPLETT, DEER
JUDGE SYLVANUS I. BRAGG
[Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post Office, Cherry Dell.]

Of an old Virginia family, Mr. Bragg was born in the State, but was reared in Kentucky and has been a resident of Shelby County, Mo., for 40 years. Judge Bragg's parents were Joel and Mary [Imgraw] Bragg, of Lunenburgh County, Va., and he was born there February 11, 1804. In 1812 the family removed to Kentucky, where they resided for nearly 30 years, but pushed on out to Missouri in 1840 and settled in Shelby county, where they lived until their deaths. The father died in 1850 and the mother in 1854. They had a family of five children: Martha, Elizabeth, Sylvanus I., Mary J. and William G.

Sylvanus I. Bragg was reared in Kentucky and was married there to Miss Mary Baldwin in 1831. Nine years later he moved with his family to Missouri in company with his father's family. While in Kentucky he dealt quite extensively in stock and has been engaged in raising stock in this county, as well as farming, ever since his removal here. He has a fine place of 569 acres. In 1856 he was elected a judge of the County Court and served for four years on the county bench.

Judge Bragg's first wife died in March, 1836, and to his present wife he was married in October, 1839. She was a Miss Mary McGrew. By his first wife Judge Bragg had three children: Samuel B., Mary A. and Charles W., only the first of whom is living. By his second wife there are ten children: Leonard, Eliza J., Martha W., Margaret, Sylvanus, John, Robert, James, Lycurgus and William K. Samuel Bragg married Miss Anna E. Stone; Charles W. married Miss Josephene Stone; Leonard married Miss Fannie Senare; Sylvanus married Miss Mary E. Moore; John married Miss Carrie E. Hendron; James married Miss Mary Gallagher; Lycurgus married Miss Della West; William married Miss Dora Simmons; Martha married Elias Triplett; Margaret married Thomas Deer. Judge and Mrs. Bragg are members of the Christian Church.

Re: Stone

Anna Stone Simmons (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Stone, Poe, Trussell
Looking for achestors leading to Claude Gibson Stone, Edgar Allen Poe Stone and Beulah Claude Trussell.

who are the parents of James Madison Bragg?

Mike Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:51AM GMT
Surnames: Bragg, Hicks
Does anyone have any info on James Madison Bragg who's Daughter Louisa Sarah Bragg was born July 17, 1834 and married October 06, 1857 both in Adair County Ky? James' wife was named Eliza Hicks.

Re: BRAGG / STONE

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Stone, Bragg, Moore, Longan
I am researching the John H. Stone family from Kentucky who removed to Missouri. Ann Eliz. Stone married Judge Bragg's son, Samuel B. Bragg. Please see the connection below:
William Stone b: abt 1730 Va m: Grace Unknown
John Stone b:abt. 1761Va m: Jane (Jennie) Moore
John H. Stone b:abt. 1804 Ky m:Sarah Longan
Ann Elizabeth Stone b: 1834 Ky m: Samuel B. Bragg

I would appreciate any information on the Samuel B. Bragg family.

Re: Sarah "Sally" Longan Stone's ancestry

Kathy Vanchieri (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2002 4:51AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: Longan, Stone, Howard, Duke, Christian, Bragg
Hi,

I believe this to be Sarah "Sally" (Longan) Stone's ancestry:

1 Thomas LONGAN b: Abt. 1670 Limerick County, Ireland d: Abt. 1740 Dale Parish, Hanover County, VA
+Harriet HOWARD
2 Augustine K. "Austin" LONGAN b: Abt. 1710 Hanover County, VA d: Abt. 1774 Hanover County, VA
.. +Jane DUKE b: 1723 Prob. James City County, VA d: June 28, 1793 Hanover County, VA
...3 Thomas (LONGDON) LONGAN b: 1767 Hanover County, VA d: 1832 Woodford County, KY
... +Anne CHRISTIAN b: May 07, 1777 Hanover County, VA m: April 18, 1798 Lexington, Fayette County, KY
.... 4 Sarah "Salley" LONGAN b: Abt. 1812 Fayette County, KY
.... + John H. STONE

I don't have info on the Bragg family, but I will forward you privately an e-mail I received last year regarding Catherine Stone, who is believed to be a sister of John H. Stone who married Sarah Longan. Maybe you can make a connection.

Kathy

Posted: 15 Nov 2002 7:25PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: Bragg, Stone, Longan
Kathy, you hit the correct family. Please explain how you fit into the Longan/Stone family. My e-mail is J65Gray97@AOL.com

Thanks...Jim

James Madison Bragg

Twyla Salisbury (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2004 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Bragg, Estes, Hicks, Pendleton, Tartar
You inquired as to the parents of James Madison Bragg? His parents were Ezekiel Bragg and Nancy Estes. Eliza (his wife) - Elizabeth E. Hicks - parents were Joseph Hicks and Elizabeth "Betsy" Pendleton. Their daughter Louisa Jane Bragg married William G. Tartar on October 6, 1857. James and Eliza had 15 children in all. James and Eliza were my gr-gr-gr-grandparents. Please feel free to email me at risandy1965@Lcom.net
Twyla

Re: Sarah "Sally" Longan Stone's ancestry

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 1:32PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2011 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Longan, Langdon, Hollyman, Stone, Pearson, Gray, Claggett
Kathy

I am charting the Stone family along with Jim.
Can you help me some more on the Longan/Langdon family? Have you found sources?

Particularly:
Sarah "Sally" Longan/Langdon who wed John H Stone (John Stone, William Stone)

Interesting facts on her children's MO DC's

William Henry Stone 1921 mother: "Sally Christian" (makes sense) reported by his sister Hattie (Stone) Claggett.

Harriet (Stone) Clagget 1931 mother: "Sally Langdon" (not Longan) reported by her daughter Minnie L Claggett.

And also:
Jane B Langdon (Longan?) who wed Thomas Hollyman (Mary Stone, William Stone) on 23 Jul 1823 in Woodford Co, KY ["History of Woodford County Kentucky" by Wm Edward Railey pg 340 spells her name Langdon].

Is Jane Sally's sister?

About Catherine Stone - Were you referring to John H's sister Caty Stone who married Allen Pearson; or to Caty's aunt Catherine Stone who married Richard Gray?

Suzy Hutson

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 7:43PM GMT
I am the great granddaughter of Sylvanus Bragg, Jr. My grandmother was Dora Bragg and I was named after her sister - Emma Bragg. Both were children of Sylvanus Bragg. I spent many summer's with my Grandmother and her sister Mary Jane in Bethel Missouri.

Our family has been researching our family history for the past year or so.

Would be interested in your family research.

Emma Harris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic