Search for content in message boards

Whitehairs of Preston County

Whitehairs of Preston County

Dana Whitehair (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2005 1:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Wow...it's good to see an active message board. My name is Dana Whitehair and I'm the fifth great grandson of John August Christian Whitehair, one of the first educators in Preston County. The oddest thing about my genealogy studies is that I can trace the Whitehair line back to 1690 (Johannes Weishaar) in Alsace, France/Germany, but I have three or four generations in West Virginia about which I've been able to find very little. Those generations are the above mentioned John August Christian, his son George Johann, his son John Peter, and his son John C. Whitehair (who died in a mining accident in the Athens. OH area in 1902.

So, if anyone can "fill in some blanks" about these gentlemen and their families, lives, birth/death dates, burial info...I'd be mighty appreciative. In return, I'll send whatever info I have taking the Whitehair/Weishaars back to Alsace.

Thanks and keep up the good work, y'all! I look forward to visiting Preston County in the near future. I hear my ancestors lived in a VERY beautiful part of Virginia/West Virginia. No wonder they left Maryland!!!

DEW

Re: Whitehairs of Preston County

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2006 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Whitehair, Magruder, Strawser, Wolfe, Wile, Nine, Beatty, Burke, Scott, Smith
Hi, DEW,
In Oren F. Morton's "A History of Preston County, Volume I," Morton writes on p. 404:
" August Christian Whitehair came to Union in 1788, settling on the Jacob Elsey place. He taught at Carmel in 1790. He was the first teacher in Union and possibly the first in the whole county. The connection, now well represented in Portland as well as Union, is derived mainly from his son George, who lived on the C.T. O'Brien place, midway between Terra Alta and Aurora. Edmund, a grandson, has served some time on the Portland Board of Education. Spencer K. brother to the latter, is a veteran teacher."

On p. 479, Morton writes under the heading, WHITEHAIR, lists the following children for August C.: George m1. Elizabeth Magruder and m2 Mary Strawser; John migrated to Indiana; David m. Elizabeth Wolfe; Catharine m. Henry Wile; and Susanna m. Christian Nine.

In Samuel Wiley's "History of Preston. . . " in his chapter on education, on p. 343, he mentions Augustus Christian Whitehair as having been in the German Settlement and among the early teachers of Preston.

On p. 299 of Wiley's text, David L. & John P. Whitehair are listed as having served as a Privates in Company E of the Sixth WV Infantry in the Civil War. On p. 302, Fydala Whitehair is listed as having served as a Private in Company B of the Fourteenth WV Infantry and Francis Whitehair, in Co. E, Fifteenth WV Infantry. On p. 303, Geo. W. Whitehair is listed has having served in Co. F. of the Seventeeth Regiment.

In the second cem. listing book by Janice Sisler, there are Whitehairs noted as buried in the Terra Alta Cem. in the Portland District, but none of the specific names you have mentioned. There is also a Whitehair Farm Cem.noted as being "located along Route 7, in a small stand of trees approximately .8 miles West of Terra Alta" Only one Whitehair stone was found, that of Lula 1891-1895 d.o. Joshua & Phebe; other surnames: Beatty, Burke, Scott & Smith. Three illegible stones were noted, with one beginning "Ninnie A."
Regards, Jane

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2006 11:29PM GMT
Hi Dana. I think we corresponded several years ago on the message board. I believe I am also 5th generation grandaughter of John August Christian & Eva Troy. My father is John Whitehair of Elkview, Wv. His father, Donald Whitehair also of Elkview. His father Bert Whitehair, who moved to Elkview from Doddrige/Ritchie County in early 1900's. Bert was the son of Adolphus Whitehair & Catherine Leggett, of Doddrige Cty, & the brother of Guy Whitehair, who married Ellie. Adolphus was the son of John P. Whitehair & Elizabeth (McGruder?) of Preston Cty. It is at this point I am a little lost. I am not sure if there is another generation between John P & John August Whitehair (possibly a George), or if John P & George are one & the same. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. Also, I am interested in your line of decent from John August Christian & Eva Troy. Hope to hear back from you. Feel free to email me.

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Dalton, Johnson, Smith, Pratt
I have a George Whitehair who married a Elizabeth LNUK. Their Daughter Nancy A., born 1808 died 1858 of typhoid, married Bethuel Dalton b 1797 died 1881. Bethuel & Nancy A. are both buried in the Dalton Cem. The cem. is located on the old Bell farm in Clinton District near what was called Clinton Furnace in Monongalia Co. I have TS photo if you wish. If my George and yours are the same, I would appreciate any info you have on the family. Have you read "The Aurora Documents"? It has some info on Whitehairs in it.

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Dalton, Johnson, Smith, Pratt
I have a George Whitehair married to an Elizabeth UNK. parents of Nancy A.(1808-1858) who married Bethuel Dalton(1797-1881). Bethuel & Nancy are buried in the old Dalton Cem. I have TS photos if you want them. I am interested in any info you might have on George and Elizabeth and their families.

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Whtehair,Dalton,Storms
I have a Nancy A.Plum Whitehair(1809-1858) who married Bethuel Dalton (1797-1881). Her father was George Whitehair and her mother was Elizabeth, possible last name of Storms. Are any of these people connected to yours?

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 5:59PM GMT
I have information on the two Ohio mining accidents below if you are interested:
Date of Accident / Name of Person / Age / County (Town) / F=Fatal or N=Nonfatal / Page / Report Year

1902NOV24 WHITEHAIR, CHARLES 17 ATHENS N 139 1903 52
1902NOV24 WHITEHAIR, J C 52 ATHENS F 128 1903 52

Posted: 25 Dec 2010 8:36PM GMT
The Whitehairs and Daltons you talk about are my ancestors, looking for any help. Nancy A. Whitehair m. Bethuel Dalton~unknown...loooking for her parents or siblings, anything is more than what I've been able to find.
thanks~amy

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 11:30PM GMT
I am looking for the location of Clinton Furnace and the Dalton cemetery. feel free to email me at ff1249@yahoo.com

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 2:48AM GMT
My name is Timothy Whitehair I am also fifth generation grandson of John August I am the son of gale a Whitehair and grandson of george d Whitehair I am also stuck at Joanne's weisshair
per page

Find a board about a specific topic