Search for content in message boards

COPELANDS OF SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND

COPELANDS OF SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND

Susan Cooke (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2001 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you to the people who responded to my message regarding my ancestors. From research I have done, the Copeland name originated in the North of England around 400AD and is believed to be descended from the Boernocians, and a mixture of Vikings, Scottish Picts and Angles.

My ancestors, as far as I can find, came from the North of England and mainly around the Sunderland are. My Father Thomas was I think the eldest and he had three brothers and twin sisters,
I have several cousins, but unfortunately they can tell me nothing of my Grandfather John and his wife whose name was Eighly or Iley, also from Sunderland - these are the people I am trying to search for. All are now deceased.

If there is any-one who may have great grandfathers or Grandparents born in the late 1800's we may be able to match up our relations. My father was born in 1906 or 1908 and died at the age of 67 in Sunderland.

My mother's single name was Liddle - also a North England name and going back about the same time as the Copelands

Once again thank you for any information

Susan Cooke

Re: COPELANDS OF SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND

Posted: 4 Nov 2001 4:40AM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2001 5:10AM GMT
I have a Agnes Copeland that was born around that time. She married Robert Smith and came to the US and had atleast one child name Dorothy Kellogg. Could we be linked?

Posted: 11 Apr 2002 1:35AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2003 2:14AM GMT
Susan

My Copelands come from Dolphin Leigh England. Is there a geographical connection here?

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2002 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Copelands of England
My family also orignated in Dolphin Leigh England, with known ancestors from Northhumberland, vikings. The name was Coupland, meaning, owner of land.

Posted: 24 Jul 2002 8:13PM GMT

Posted: 27 Jul 2002 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Coupland/Copeland
Becky, I have found that the older English spelling "Couplands", then in America it became Copeland.
My mother was a Copeland on her fathers side, I have our direct line back to 1690, England. The NC>TN>MO. If I can be of any help to you or anyone, I will pass-on whatever I have.
Sharron Williams

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 1:08AM GMT
Sharron

I can only trace ours back to the early 1700's in VA. I will research it some more and will be in touch.

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 5:31AM GMT
Read your msg to Becky on Roots....I am interested in the Copeland's of Virginia (1800 to abt1840). My ggrandfather, John Copeland, was born in Loudoun county 21FEB1821....and there is my "brick wall".
The problem is that there isn't any record of a birth to the families that are known to be living there on that date....assumption = John's parents were not regular residents of Loudoun and were only there by chance and soon moved on (Ohio). He married Emmaline Wise, abt 1844 in Ohio.
My mind has really given the, "what ifs", a real work-out and was hoping your research would provide a new clue for me. Family lore is that John claimed to be the fourth or fifth generation of his line born in America.
Look forward to hearing from you....Bill/Iowa

Jerry Copeland (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2002 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: copeland,caylor,west,hancock,werts,dick,armstrong
bill/iowa
I read your information about your John Copeland with some interest. I too have a GGGrandfather John Copeland, b abt 1795, who currently is my brick wall. He married Jane Dick in OH and is buried in Athens Co. Ohio Family lore says the family came thru New York to Westmoreland Pa then on to Oh (Guernsey then Athens). My John is thought to be the first generation born in the US but I have been unable to confirm. E-Mail me at Solomon@nstar.net for more copeland information.

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 11:09PM GMT
Sharron

AlI have I will gladly give you. I descend from John b. 1616 Dolphin Leigh Engalnd>Nicholas I b. 1652 in VA>Joseph>Nicholas II b. 1692 Isle of Wight VA>Nicholas III b. 1710 NC>Aaron b. 1762 NC>Miriam Copeland Strickland b.1798 SC. Does any of this sound familiar? I have who they married as well if that will help.

Beck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic