Search for content in message boards

Van Horn and Hickman

Van Horn and Hickman

Posted: 7 Mar 2002 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 15 Jun 2002 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Van Horn,Hickman
Van Horn and Hickman

Estelle Baker Van Horn, b. June 27, 1890, Atlanta, Cass Co., TX, d. April 14, 1975, Vivian, Caddo County, LA. was the wife of Florent Ernest Van Horn, b. Feb. 24, 1880 Doddridge Co. WV, d. Nov. 23, 1971, Vivian, Caddo Parish, LA. Florent E. Van Horn was the son of Moses Sylvanus Van Horn, b. March 4, 1853, Doddridge Co. WV, d. ? and Margaret Ellen Snyder b. May 1857, VA, d.?. Moses S. Van Horn was the son of John Waldo Van Horn, b. Feb. 2, 1824, Harrison Co. WV, d. 1912 pb. Doddridge Co., WV and Adaline Emily Stout, b. June 1828, VA, d. 1916 pb. Doddridge Co. WV.

Sometime after the 1900 Doddridge Co. WV census Moses S. Van Horn and family moved West. Their sons, Brooks and Florent E. Van Horn are in the 1910 Caddo Co. LA census. In the same census, living next door to Brooks Van Horn is Okey L. Hickman, wife Fannie, married 1 year and both born WV, and infant daughter Margaret who was born in LA.

In the 1910 Belle Plaine, Sumner Co. Kansas census Err Hickman 62, b. VA and wife Mary A. 61 b. WV are renting from and living in the HH of Anna M. Kilmer, 66, Wd, b. PA. Err Hickman and his first wife, Margaret Madora Van Horn, daughter of John Waldo and Adaline Stout Vanhorn, sister to Moses Sylvanus Van Horn, are the parents of Okey L. Hickman. Margaret M. Van Horn Hickman died July 27, 1900 in Doddridge Co. WV.

Between 1900 and 1910 the Moses S. Van Horn family and at least Err and Okey L. Hickman left WV with Okey spending the remainder of his life near the Van Horn family in LA. Moses' children: son Brooks and family and Moses' daughter Melissa and husband lived in Minden, LA; son Florent and family lived in Vivian, LA; son Selsey Clyde and family in Shreveport, LA. I have not been able to trace Moses and Margaret Snyder Van Horn and their daughter Lulu E. Van Horn. I suspect Moses and Margaret died in LA somewhere as family information states that they were there.

Selsey Clyde Van Horn's wife, Minnie Etta Unknown b. Oct. 30, 1885, died Jan 10, 1910 in Sour Lake, Hardin Co. TX. Selsey took her back to Doddridge WV by train and she is buried in a cemetery in Grove WV. They had one daughter, Mildred Van Horn.

1936 Shreveport, Caddo County LA newspaper clipping from the personal effects of Estelle Baker Van Horn, wife of Florent E. Van Horn.

Funeral services for O. L. Hickman, 54, well-known Shreveport oil operator, who died Thursday morning will be held Saturday with interment in Greenwood Cemetery. Arrangements for the funeral had not been completed Thursday night.

Mr. Hickman died early Thursday morning at a Shreveport sanitarium following an illness of a month. Death came suddenly of a heart attack and was a shock to friends and relatives who had considered his condition as improving the night before.

Mr. Hickman was closely associated with the development of the petroleum industry of North Louisiana, South Arkansas and East Texas. He came here from Beaumont in 1906 upon the discovery of the old Caddo field and later held an important position in the development of Homer, Pine Island, Eldorado, Bull Bayou, Zwolle and East Texas oil fields. He and Sam K. Baird, another well-known independent, had been associated in the oil business since 1918.

He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and of all Masonic bodies, Scottish Rite and a Shriner. He was also active in civic work and a supporter of the Boy Scout movement and of Centenary College scholastic and athletic activities.

He had been active in his business and other pursuits until he became ill about a month ago.

Mr. Hickman is survived by his wife, Mrs. Fannie Bell Snider Hickman; his father, Edward Hickman, of Belle Plaine, Kansas; two daughters, Mrs. John Guyton and Miss Mable Hickman, of Shreveport; two sons, Kenneth and Edward, of Shreveport, and two sisters, both of West Virginia.

He was born at New Middleton*, WV, Nov. 20, 1882.

Osborn funeral home is in charge of funeral arrangements.

Transcribed by Hannah Van Horn

*This should be New Million Magisterial District, Doddridge Co., WV.

Re: Van Horn and Hickman

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 4:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Err V. Hickman and Margaret Madora Van Horn were my great grandparents. They had five children: Okey L. Hickman, Jennie Idell Hickman (m. Samuel Bodie)(my grandparents), Ethel I. Hickman (m. Edward Sherman), Agnes Hickman (not married), Ada Hickman (not married), and Pearl Hickman (died young). All of the girls stayed in West Virginia and were apparently raised by their grandparents after Margaret died in 1900.

It is not part of family history that Err remarried. In fact, there seemed to be sort of a scandal surrounding Err. My mother suggested that Err may have lived with a girlfriend for several years which would have embarrassed my grandparents who were staunch Southern Baptists.

John Waldo Van Horn and Adaline Emily Stout had eleven children including Margaret Madora Van Horn Hickman and Moses Sylvanus Van Horn so there are vast buckets of cousins out there. Okey's daughter Margaret still lives in Shreveport, I never met his other children.

Hannah Van Horn (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2003 1:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Terry:

Thanks for your response.

I made a typo in that post. It was 1920 Belle Plaine, Sumner Co. Kansas where I found Err Hickman and wife Mary A. I looked for him there because that's where he was said to be living in his son, Okey Hickman's obit.

Ancestry online image #16, ED 164, sheet 8B, Belle Plaine City, HH 225, Roll T625-553

Er Hickman, Head, rents, MW, 62 yrs old, married, WV VA VA, Teamster, wage.
Living in Anne M. Kilmer's HH, also listed as head of HH, 66, Wd. PA PA PA, no occupation.

Mary A., wife, FW, 61 yrs old, married, WV WV WV, no occupation

Err Hickman was in 1910 Doddridge Co Cove District WV Census, Ancestry image online #8, ED 27, sheet # 5A, HH 80 ,Cove District Enum. April 25, 1910, Roll T624-1679

Er Hickman, Head, MW, 52 yrs old, Wd., WV WV WV, farmer, working out, Own Acct., Rent, farm Schedule #70. Street or Road Address: Middle Fork of Hughes River
Ada, daughter, FW, 20 yrs old, single, WV, WV, WV, none.
Ethel, daughter, FW, 18, Single, WV WV WV, servant, private family, wages
Agnes, daughter, FW, 11 yrs old, WV WV WV, none.

In the 1900 Doddridge Co. WV Census New Milton Magisterial District Ancestry online image #32, ED 25, sheet 16 B, Enumerated June 29, 1900
All 6 children were living with Err and wife "Dora" Hickman. (Margaret Madora Van Horn Hickman died July 27,1900 after this census was taken)

Do you feel that this is not Err Hickman of the family discussed in the 1920 Kansas census? Or do you believe that Mary A. is not his wife, but his live in girl friend?

Hannah Van Horn

Terry King (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 4:35AM GMT
Thank you for the response on Er V. Hickman. Everything you have listed ties out to my information. It was only a family rumor that he was living with a girl-friend, and I don't know her name. So it could have been before (or after) Mary. We would need more information on her to be sure. Since his first wife died in 1900 and he died in 1948, there is a long period of time there for him to develop other relationships. I don't have any indication that he had any more children than the first six, however.

Terry King (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 4:36AM GMT
Thank you for the response on Er V. Hickman. Everything you have listed ties out to my information. It was only a family rumor that he was living with a girl-friend, and I don't know her name. So it could have been before (or after) Mary. We would need more information on her to be sure. Since his first wife died in 1900 and he died in 1948, there is a long period of time there for him to develop other relationships. I don't have any indication that he had any more children than the first six, however.

Terry King (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 4:36AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic