Search for content in message boards

English Compton famillies- in Hampshire,. Croydon, London & Essex

English Compton famillies- in Hampshire,. Croydon, London & Essex

Posted: 22 Oct 2005 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RADNOR, COMPTON, TAPLIN, Hillier in Bray Berkshire
Anyone looking at Comptons in Minstead, Ringwood, Croydon and other places in the UK

Re: English Compton famillies- in Hampshire,. Croydon, London & Essex

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2006 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: compton
I live in wales ,iam a compton who's ancestors came from hampshire.

Geoff Radnor (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2006 5:15PM GMT
Hi, My Comptons were farmers in the village of MInstead, however NOT the Comptons from the Manor house of Minstead. John Compton had a son William who married Mary Taplin from Lyndhurst on 11th April 1846. They had a son John William who was born 1st August 1854. William died in Croydon Surrey on 29th Dec. 1901 aged 79 so he was born about 1822.
Any of these close to you?

David W Steiner (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 1:09PM GMT
The Compton family I am looking for are from Ringwood, amd Amport. Thomas [b.1705] married Anne, a cousin, [b. 1709]. A son Thomas [b. 1731] married Frances Mount Childeroy, their son Harry married Charlotte Newman [Neuman]. They lived around Ringwood, and Amport. Have some more info if this seems to be connected with you. Harry moved to Prince Edward Is., Can. about 1800 because he was given 17,000-20,000 acres for military service.
David Steiner, Mission, Texas

Geoff Radnor (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 6:32PM GMT
Hi David, My research currently is only going as far back as the late 1700's.I have John Compton, a farmer, born in Ringwood in 1789 or 1799, and his wife Jane who was born in Minstead, which is just up the road from Ringwood. John is my 3g grandfather. His son William died in 1901 in Croydon in Surrey, which is a suburb of London. I will have to get a film of the parish records of Ringwood to do more research.
Regards
Geoff Radnor

Posted: 28 May 2007 10:13AM GMT
Surnames: Compton, Childeroy
I might have a vague connection to this line. I certainly have Compton's from Hampshire, one of which moved to Croydon Surrey before some members of his family moved to Australia. I am in contact with a lady living here in Australia who is directly descended from Thomas Compton and Frances Mount Childeroy. We are yet to determine beyond doubt that we are actually related. There were so many Compton's in Wiltshire and Hampshire way back in the 1700's.

Posted: 28 May 2007 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Compton, Essex, Klaus
My ancestors came from Hampshire, My gt gt grandfather Thomas Allen Compton was born Lockerley 1846. He married Jane Essex 1870 in Glos. They moved to Oxfordshire where the first child, Thomas Clifton Bertrand (my Gt grandfather) was born in 1871. They moved to Croydon, Surrey where they had Alice, Mabel, Elsie, Annie and Elizabeth. TCB married Caroline (Clarissa) Klaus in 1903 and they eventually moved to Australia with their 3 children.

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 11:30AM GMT
Hi It seems that our families are not related as my Comptons came from Ringwood and Minstead

Posted: 21 Feb 2009 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: Compton, Machling, Brazier
I am looking for Compton's related to my Grandfather John Compton (Jack) born 19 Oct 1908 in Hastings but lived in Feltham in the London Borough of Hounslow he married Evelyn Gertrude Machling 1/2/1947 having been previously divorced. His Father was also John Compton, dates unknown, he married Emmeline Sarah Brazier.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions