Search for content in message boards

Korycansky from Brno or Tasso, Austria circa 1900-1912

Korycansky from Brno or Tasso, Austria circa 1900-1912

Jocelyn (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2002 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Korycansky, Koricansky
am searching for the origin of my great-grandmother, whose last name was Korycansky (Koricansky). She is of Bohemian origin. She (maria) traveled to the USA around 1912 with her brother Frank(Franz). She was approximately 16/17 and he was 18/19. We were told that she was from Brno. In other files, we have found that she might have come from Tasso, Austria, which at the time was under Austria-Hungarian rule. I am guessing this town was in Bohemia. If anyone could offer any insights, or information as to the last name KORYCANSKY or the town TASSO, that would be great. Thanks.

Re: Korycansky from Brno or Tasso, Austria circa 1900-1912

Posted: 7 Dec 2002 2:40AM GMT
There is a record found at Ellis Island for Maria KORICANSKY July 16, 1912 age 16 from Tassow, Austria, Race of People Bohemian, mother in Tassow is listed as Kath, KORICANSKY interesting it says her destination was to bro in law in NY but the line below here states that persons (line 19) destination was to bro in law Franz KOYCANSKY in Savanah, ILL (?) line 19 is someone from Tassow named Martin Riska.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

Robert

Posted: 8 Jul 2003 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky, Tomcala
Jocelyn, I believe subject family might be related to your great grandmother.

I am researching Korycansky for a friend- just started.
Frantisek (Frank) Korycansky, born 6 February 1898 (?) in Tasov, Austria / Czechoslovakia, came to the United States in 1912.

Frank married Katerina Tomcala about 1916 in New York City.
Katerina (Catherine) was born in Velka Nad Velicka, Austria, 23 February 1895.

We would like to know the parents and siblings of Korycansky and Tomcala. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks Sharon

Jocelyn (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2003 5:29AM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky
Hello,

I am replying to your request about the Korycanksy family. When I first began researching my family tree last year, I was not positive that Maria Korycansky was actually my great grandmother, but now I am thanks to your email and other research efforts in the current Czech Republic. My great grandmother, who probably changed her name to Mary, did have a brother named Frank. Frank and his wife lived in New Jersey. They had a son who was killed in a plane accident, and was never found. I am just recalling these facts from old family stories.

However, I could never find out Franks' wife's name. I checked the social security index, and there the name was listed..Katherine Korycansky, who was born in 1895, died 1985 in New Jersey. This must be his wife, because she did pass away in the mid 1980s. All of this information seems to be piecing together the puzzle.

My grandmother Emily recalls her mother receiving letters from New Jersey from Frank and his wife, written in Czech. Apparently his wife used to travel back to Czechoslovakia to visit her family. My grandmother remembers her also visiting Frank and Mary's family. I will talk with my grandmother within the next few days and see if she can remember anything about the respective families and let you know as soon as possibe. I also have been in contact with someone in the Brno, Czech Republic vicinity who has found the contact information for our possible relatives. I can give you this information if it would be helpful.

Thanks!
Jocelyn

Re: Korycansky from Tasov, CZ

Joan Lynch (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2005 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky, Filipovic,
Just starting work on my allied lines (maternal). Looking for info
on Antonie Korycanska b 15 May 1849, Zeraviny, CZ. Her parents were Jiri and A Filopowitschova. Jiri dob 2 October 1818 in Tasov.
Any connection?

Jocelyn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2006 9:32AM GMT
Was Koricansky/Korycansky Antonie's married/ or maiden name? thanks -- Jocelyn

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky, Tomcala, Sramek, Pribyl
Hi,

My wife's late g-mother, Anna Pribyl, came to NYC from Tasov (now Hrozina Lhota) after WW I to live with her Sramek relatives. My m-i-l says Anna told her they were related to a Korycansky family in NJ, whose son -- a USAF Major -- died in a plane crash in California (Anna went to burial at Arlington). Are these "your" people?

I believe this must have been the Korycansky/Tomcala family, but I can't yet find a familial connection. Have Anna's 1925 wedding photo showing Srameks and unidentifed couple w/daughter, who MAY be Korycansky's. Could e-mail photo if you're interested.

Ron

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky, Kozumplik
Korycansky would have been Antonie's maiden name. She was my g-grandmother and married Thomae Kozumplik in Zeraviny/Hrznova Lhota. Some of her children were born in both towns. My grandmother was the youngest (b 1890) and came to the US in 1911, settling in the Pittsburgh PA, area.

In regards to the Savanna,IL, post by Mr. Jerin -- many of my Kozumplik relatives were brought to the US by land agent cousin, Frank Kozumplik. Interestingly enough, he took "his" Kozumpliks to Savanna, IL, and then later to
Meadowlands, MN, while settling in Chicago, IL, himself.

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 3:18AM GMT
Hello,
My grandfather was Frank Korycansky and my grandmothers maiden name was Katerina Tomcala. The USAF soldier that you mention was my uncle George. I am new to geneology but would like to correspond to begin building a family tree. Please contact me at Raydar86@aol.com.

Thanks,
Ray

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Korycansky, Pribyl, Drazin
Hi, Ray.

OK, I've sent you an e-mail at the address you provided. One thing I forgot to mention -- a man named Jan Pribyl, possibly a relative of my wife's g-mother, came to the U.S. from Hroznová Lhota in 1922, heading for Guttenberg to join someone with the surname Drazin (or Drazil?). The address he gave was near where the Korycansky family lived per the 1920 Census.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic