Search for content in message boards

Glassford/Whittaker family

Glassford/Whittaker family

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 10:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Glassford/Whittaker
Researching the Glassford family from Greenock in Scotland
who emigrated to Fitzroy Melbourne. In particular David Glassford who married Sarah Whittaker daughter of Thomas.
Also a potential son of theirs Morton Glassford.

Thomas Whittaker was transported from Nottingham to Tasmania in 1832. His mother Hannah, daughter Sarah and Niece Catherine all joined him later when he received his pardon.

Would like to hear from anyone who may have a connection.
Thanks

Re: Glassford/Whittaker family

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 11:43PM GMT
If you are seeking living relatives,a search of public trees is your best bet.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 11:13AM GMT
No birth found for Morton in VICTORIA; according to the marriage entry he was born FITZROY.

Surname: GLASSFORD
Given Names: David
Event: Marriage
Spouse Surname: WHITTAKER
Spouse Gvn Names: Sarah
Birth Place: GREENOCK
Year: 1870
Reg Number: 1314

Surname: WHITTAKER
Given Names: Sarah
Event: Marriage
Spouse Surname: GLASSFORD
Spouse Gvn Names: David
Birth Place: NOTTINGHAM
Year: 1870
Reg Number: 1314

Given Names: Sarah
Event: DEATH
Father: Thomas WHITTAKER
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother:
Death Place: Fitzroy North
Year: 1892
Reg. Number: 6245

Given Names: Morton
Event: MARRIAGE
Spouse Surname: HUTCHISON
Spouse Gvn Names: Laura Jane
Birth Place: FITZROY
Year: 1911
Reg. Number: 3497

Given Names: Morton
Father: David
Mother: Sarah WHITTAKER
Death Place: MALVERN
Age Code:
Year: 1957
Reg Number: 10655
Event: DEATH

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Whittaker, Glassford, Sparks, Sparkes
Hello -

I stumbled upon your message while trying to find out more information on a Thomas Whittaker who lived in Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia and who married his 2nd wife, a Mary Sparks (also spelled Sparkes) (b. 1801, Somerset, England) in 1847, Melbourne, New South Wales. Note: Melbourne was part of New South Wales at the time; what is now the Australian state of Victoria was established from New South Wales in 1852.

In case you are not aware of it, there is a good online biography of Thomas Whittaker, b. 1808, St. Mary's, Nottingham, England; d. 27 Mar 1878, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia here:
http://www.historyhome.co.uk/people/Whittaker/whittaker.htm

This is a link to the burial information for the mother of Thomas Whittaker, Hannah, and his 2nd wife, Mary Sparks Whittaker, Melbourne General Cemetery, Cartlon North, Victoria, Australia, in case you are interested:
http://billiongraves.com/pages/cemeteries/MelbourneGeneralCe...

I am distantly related to Thomas Whittaker's 2nd wife Mary Sparks/Sparkes, so I don't know anything else about the Whittakers and nothing of the Glassfords.

Correction - New South Wales & Victoria, Australia

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 8:12PM GMT
Correction to a sentence in my previous post:

* Melbourne was part of New South Wales at the time; what is now the Australian state of Victoria was established from New South Wales in 1851. *

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 9:06AM GMT
Surnames: Sparks/Whittaker
Hello

Mary Sparks' father is my 4x great grandfather. I have quite a bit of information about the Sparks family as I have been researching them for many years.

I have recently found that Thomas Whittaker owned quite a bit of property in Fitzroy and I have a couple of news articles about him as well. If you would like them I could email them to you.

I would also love any information you may have about them. Every little bit helps.

If you give me your email address I could also invite you to my family tree.

To jv2244 - Re: Glassford/Whittaker family

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Glassford, Whittaker, Sparkes, Sparks
To jv244 -

In reading your post again, it dawned on me that you are the person who gave all the great biographical information on Thomas Whittaker to Dr. Marjie Bloy for her web site A Web of English History, the web site where I initially stumbled upon the info on Thomas Whittaker, for whom I was searching info for my Australian cousin, Shannon Smith, who I see also has found your post.

"It's an incredible small world."

Thank you, jv224, for your research on Thomas Whittaker. Shannon Smith (in Australia) and I have more information on his 2nd wife Mary Sparkes/Sparks in New South Wales, Australia. I recommend you contact Shannon 1st. :-)

Jean E. DeLauche
St. Louis area, Missouri, USA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic