Search for content in message boards

John Peter Wittman-died 1931

John Peter Wittman-died 1931

Posted: 27 Dec 2010 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wittman, Jacobs
How does one get info from a death cert from Lewiston, Idaho? I am trying to find out John Peter Wittman's parents. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio between approximately 1845-50. He died at St Joseph Hospital in Lewiston, Idaho on March 4, 1931. He lived mainly in Uniontown, WA for most of his life.
He is my husband's great great grandfather.

John was husband of Catherine Schmidt. Both are buried in Uniontown, WA.
Any info would be helpful.

Carol

Re: John Peter Wittman-died 1931

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 12:59AM GMT
This page tells how to order a certificate from the state.
http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/?TabId=82

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 1:49AM GMT
Have you seen him in the 1870 census. He appears to be in Portland, with his wife Kate. Living with them are a Nicholas Witman age 46, born Prussia, Alex Witman (born France, age 19) and a very old woman, name appears to be Martalin born France, age 105. In 1880 there is an Alexander Witman, born Ohio, age 29 living in Humboldt County California, with a son Nicholas.

These names seem to fit with the middle names of two of John's sons.

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 12:35PM GMT
I saw that but was not sure that it was the same one. I will re-visit that one.

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Wittman Jacobs Fleckenstein
Hi Carol - sounds like we are related! Here's what I know about John Peter Wittman (JPW) who is my great grandfather. Drop me an email if you wish to visit further (kurt.wittman@farm-credit.com):

JPW's grandmother Magdalene (maiden name unknown) Wittman was born about 1800 and was reported to have lived to the age of 105. She was born in Alsace Lorraine and in later years moved to the US and lived with her son Nicholas. Nicholas was born in 1821. He reportedly lost his wife (JPW's mother) and several children from diptheria. Nicholas moved with his mother Magdalene and three surviving children (one being JPW) to Minnesota. In 1864, they came west to Oregon with a covered wagon train. About 20 wagons left St. Cloud, MN and joined another wagon train further to the south, and all traveled West together. Some families stopped in Idaho and Washington, and some (including Nicholas & family) went on to Oregon, settling in the Gervais area just NE of Salem. Nicholas' three surviving children included: 1.) Alex Nicholas Wittman - married and lived in Central Oregon. He had 2 sons and 2 daughters and was a contractor and builder by profession. 2.)Christina Wittman - married Henry Fleckenstein, a brewery operator. They had 2 boys and 2 girls. 3.) John Peter Wittman (JPW - born 1945 in Cincinnati, OH) - As a young man of approx. 19, he served as a scout on the Oregon Trail passage noted above. JPW met his future bride Catherine Schmidt (who was traveling with her foster parents, the Jacob's family) while on the OR Trail. Catherine was about 15 years of age and became quite ill on the trip from mountain fever. (This wagon train ride must have occurred somewhere between 1864-67.) JPW married Catherine Schmidt in 1869 in Portland, OR. Once married, they settled in Gervais, OR where they operated a country store and post office. JPW also did part-time painting. According to JPW's grandson Marvin Wittman, JPW had worked in a sawmill in Gervais in the initial years after arriving in OR and severed four fingers from one of this hands in a sawmill accident. In 1879, JPW & Catherine and their five children moved from Gervais to Uniontown, WA. They bought land and also homesteaded land. Seven more children were born to them. The 10th of their 12 children was George Wittman, father of Marvin Wittman and grandfather of Kurt Wittman.

If you can shed more light on any of these parties, I would love to hear it! Kurt Wittman
Edit Delete
per page

Find a board about a specific topic