Search for content in message boards

Van Houten Cemetery

Van Houten Cemetery

Posted: 28 May 2012 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
My aunt, Esther Miskei (spelled Ester Meske on death certificate), died of diphtheria at age 6 on May 8, 1915 in the mining town Van Houten, New Mexico. Did Van Houten have a cemetery?

Re: Van Houten Cemetery

Posted: 30 May 2012 2:57AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
MESKE ESTER 05 08 15 COLFAX 06 6

NMDI, NMGenWeb Archives

The above site will tell you how to get a photocopy of the death certificate for genealogy purposes only. It is very inexpensive about 50 cents. This might give you info. on the cemetery you are looking for.

Good luck,
Louise J.

Posted: 30 May 2012 4:57AM GMT
Thank you, Louise. I already obtained death certificate copies from this site for Esther and for my baby uncle Vince who died in 1920. Esther's 1915 certificate looked very different from Vince's. It only listed name, age, sex, date and cause of death and was signed by the camp doctor.

Posted: 31 May 2012 2:43PM GMT
Yes, there is a small cemetery west of the NRA Whittington Center, 36.786304 -104.561969. There were a few unmarked graves when I visited some years ago, but I will ckeck with the Center this morning.

Nancy

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 3:03AM GMT
Thank you, Nancy!
Kathy

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 3:52PM GMT
For photographs, please see www.findagrave.com Van Houten, Cemetery, NM.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 9:57PM GMT
I think it would be alright to add Esterka to the Van Houten Cemetery on Find a Grave. There are fallen pieces of wooden crosses and other evidence of multiple burials.

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 6:30AM GMT
This would probably be most likely where she is buried. My grandparents were poor immigrants and would not have been able to afford a city cemetery plot in Raton. Transportation there would have also been an issue. My grandmother had just given birth to my Uncle Paul less than a month earlier and certainly would have been physically and emotionally exhausted by Esther's illness and death.
Thank you for finding this information for me, Nancy!
How did you know Esther's Hungarian name? (Esterka)
Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions