Search for content in message boards

Jonas Randolph, b. Abt 1790, VA

Jonas Randolph, b. Abt 1790, VA

Posted: 6 May 2004 2:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am doing Bevington genealogical research and found the following in a book titled “Ohio Marriages Recorded in County Courts Through 1820”, An Index, by The Ohio Genealogical Society, page 81:

Bevenington, Mary to Randolph, Jonas, Mar 6, 1817, Columbiana, Book 1, Page 273.

I believe ‘Bevenington’ is actually ‘Bevington’ and she is the d/o Henry Bevington who was in the 1790 census of Frederick, MD.

Can anyone tell me who the parents were of Jonas Randolph?

Feb. 15, 1816, Henry Bevington, Jr., married Rachel Randolph in Columbiana, OH. Henry is a s/o the Henry Bevington of Maryland and I believe Rachel is a sister of Jonas Randolph.

I also found the following:

1850 census, OH, Summit, Bath Twp, Image 17, Line 41, Dwelling 113, Family 116:
Jonas Randolph, 60, b. VA
Mary Randolph. 51, b. MD
Mary Randolph, 22, b. OH
Roxy Randolph, 19, b. OH
Rachel Randolph, 18, b. OH
Jonas B. Randolph, 15, b. OH

Do you know anything about these people?

Floralyn

Re: Jonas Randolph, b. Abt 1790, VA

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe that Jonas is the brother of my ggg grandfather William Randolph of Akron, Ohio area. I have accumulated some documentation showing that William and Jonas, perhaps along with their father and mother moved from (possibly) Loudoun County, Va. to either Jefferson or Columbiana Co. Ohio sometime prior to 1812. (Jonas and William served in the Jefferson Co. Ohio militia together).

Jonas married your Bevington ancestor in Columbiana, Columbiana Co. in 1817. William Married my ggg grandmother Rachel Johnston in 1818 in Columbiana Co.

In 1819, William (and Jonas also if memory serves) are found in Chippewa Township, Wayne Co., Ohio. In the 1830 census they are both in Milton, Wayne County, Ohio. In the 1840 Census they are both in Bath Township, Summit Co., Ohio with their children attending the same schools. A Jonathan Randolph and wife are also in Bath Township, both old enough to be William an Jonas's parents.

In 1850 they are again in the Summit County census. In 1860 William disappears because he died in 1859. I believe that the 1860 census shows that Jonas and wife have gone to live with one of their daughters in Illinois. By the 1870 census Jonas's wife has died and he is living with one of his other daughters' family.

That is what I know and I have some documentation to back it up beyond what is mentioned in this post. There is some information on the Randolphs of Loudoun county on a post in the Randolph Genealogy.com board by Pat Duncan that lists a number of Isaac, Joseph, Jonas, and William Randolphs who were paying taxes in Loudoun County just prior to the births of both the Jonas and William that you and I are interested in.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions