Search for content in message boards

Gilmer-Baber-Walker-Thomas connections

Gilmer-Baber-Walker-Thomas connections

Posted: 10 Feb 2001 12:49PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 12:32AM GMT
Husband's gr. grt. grandparents were Rachel Walker Baber Archelaus Thomas. They were wed in Albemarle Co. Va. One son named John Walker Thomas; one Edward Gilmer Thomas. These two lived in Rockbridge Co., then Greenbrier CO., and many of their offspring in Fayette Co. WVA. Have assumed Walker Gilmer to be family names but do not know of the connection. Can anyone shed light on this? Thank you.

Gilmer/Baber/Walker/Thomas connections

Posted: 9 Mar 2001 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 16 Dec 2002 3:29AM GMT
I have a copy of 'The Gilmers' 1731-1897 by Jno Gilmer Speed pub. 1897. It states that the Gilmers in Virginia are descended from a Dr. George Gilmer from Edinburgh (Scot) b. 1700 who mar. a Mary Peachy Walker in 1732 or 33. Their son, also Dr. George Gilmer b. 1742 or 43 mar. his cousin Lucy Walker. They had 10 children 3 of whom included Walker in their names. A gt grandson of Dr. George Gilmer (2), Peachy Harmer Gilmer also married a Maria Isabella Walker in 1836 and a John Patton Gilmer mar. a Lucy Dabney Walker in 1895. The Walker name therefore crops up fairly regularly amongst Gilmers & descendants of Gilmers.

A son of Dr. George Gilmer (2, Francis Walker Gilmer was a close friend & protege of Thomas Jefferson. He died young without marrying.

Should you or any other American Gilmers like more details feel free to contact me on tienny.jerram@xtra.co.nz
Regards, Tim Jerram

Regards, Tim Jerram

FAMILY

GARY M GILMER (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2001 5:10PM GMT
DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION RATHER THE GILMERS WENT TO MISSISSIPPI. I HAVE 2 BROTHERS JAMES EDWARD AND TRACY AND A SISTER SHELIA MY FATHER IS ROBERT AND HIS FATHER LACY. I WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH TO KNOW. THANK YOU.

Re: Gilmer/Baber/Walker/Thomas connections

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have written a historical novel, On the Banks of the Rappahannock, that includes the Gilmers from Scotland and their relationship to the Peacheys and the Walkers. It highlights Dr. George Gilmer as being the personal physician of Thomas Jefferson. This book will be published within the next month. It takes place between 1699 and 1783 in the Northern Neck of Virginia, ending with the Revolution. Please let me know if you want more info. on this. John H. Peach

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 6:56AM GMT
I would be interested in a copy of your book when published.
My mother was a Gilmer and my wife's mother was also. We are 2nd cousins. Our branch came to New Zealand from Northern Ireland in the 1870s but I think knew of the connections with the American Gilmers and Dr. Gilmer in particular.
I have a copy of the Gilmers in America published in about 1900 that has much of Dr. Gilmer. The pity was that he died so young. I expect you would have seen a copy of that book.
Kind regards
Tim Jerram
New Zealand

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 7:28AM GMT
Now I'm wondering if my gandpa George Gilmer was named after this man.

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 11:38AM GMT
Tim, I would be happy to reserve a copy for you. The 280 page, fully indexed book sells for 29.95 + shipping. You can use PayPal. Let me know if you want more details. I hope Happy Feet got off your shores and is heading back to Antarctica. Thanks for taking care of him/her. John

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 9:34PM GMT
Thanks. Yes, Happy Feet is doing well in the Wellington Zoo while they figure out the best way to get him back to the Antarctic. Actually he was found on Pekapeka Beach. We thought Pekapeka would have been a better name for a bird!
We have a grand-daughter from Christchurch here in Auckland for a few days escaping the earthquake aftershocks, which still happen every day. She is following the Happy feet story closely.

I don't have paypal but can transfer direct to your bank account when the time comes. If you prefer not to give your account number by email I could arrange for my sister in Tallassee to mail you an American cheque or I can give you my Visa details.
Did you by chance access the book of the American Gilmers that I mentioned?

Kind regards
Tim

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 6:57AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2011 6:58AM GMT
Tim, I have ordered the Gilmers in America book. I prefer you use the USA check, as I have problems with my bank receiving international checks. John

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 9:58AM GMT
OK let me know the cost incl. post to Tallahassee when the time comes.

Tim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions