Search for content in message boards

Macaulay on South Uist

Macaulay on South Uist

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have connections to this family?
Donald Macaulay born about 1820 at Haclett, South Uist son of John and Mary MacIntyre married Marion Campbell 1855 Feb. 18 on SU. She was born about 1833 at Kildonan, SU. She was the daughter of Angus born about 1791 SU and Mary born about 1797 SU.
John

Re: Macaulay on South Uist

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: MacAulay Campbell
I certainly recognise the family. Indeed, two Campbell descendants have sadly died in the islands in the past month. Angus Campbell was a son of Roderick Campbell and Marion MacCormick. His wife also had the maiden name Campbell and was a daughter of Ewen Campbell and Marion Steele. Angus and family left Kildonan and [I think] lived at one point in Geirinish though in old age Angus was to be found in Lochcarnan, still in South Uist. However, his sons settled not in South Uist but in Benbecula where they had crofts in Kilerivagh. I am not sure that, despite the attribution of Donald MacAulay to Hacklet [also in Benbecula] the affiliation ran at all deep. There are a lot of MacAulay connections with Hacklet but no sign of Donald there, nor of his parents, from 1841 on. I will have a look and see what I can find of them.

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 10:45AM GMT
Surnames: MacAulay
I promised to see what else I could find on MacAulay in Hacklet. When Donald was born just after 1820, the township was only just beginning to emerge and did not exist in the later sense. However, there was a John MacAulay present among the half dozen names in the rent roll for 1818 about the time when division into crofts first occurred in the area. By 1822 those same folks had been rolled back i with the established township of Lionacleit of which Hacklet was effectively a muir pendicle or extension. John may well have been the John MacAulay sen. who was then present. He had disappeared by the time of the next available rent roll on 1835 and this would explain why Donald and the rest of the family do not figure in the township in the 1841 Census.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 24 Dec 2006 4:22PM GMT
Thank you very much Angus for taking the time to check this out.

Posted: 26 Sep 2007 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Macaulay
I believe we have a match!

My Great-grandfather was Donald Macaulay I have B. 1821 in Haclete, Benbecula and died in 1906. He married Marion Campbell in 1855 (b 1834-1898) and his parents were John, and Catherine MacIntyre. If you would like to exchange info please let me know at macaulay@amtelecom.net Thanks Neil

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 2:39AM GMT
Yes, I think we do. Are you by any chance Neil Peter Macaulay born about 1934?

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 12:14PM GMT
Surnames: Macaulay
No - I am Neil Joseph Macaulay and I live in Ontario Canada. I was born in 1951. My father's family came to Canada in 1924. How about you?

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 3:24PM GMT
Very interesting you are connected a bit farther back than I thought. Mary MacDonald, widow of Neil Macaulay (1865-1922), came to Canada about 1925 (maybe she came with your family?). Some time after this she was living in Alberta as was her son Peter Donald Macaulay born 1907. My Macaulays descend from the latter.
I guess it would be better if we contacted each other directly. I did try and will try again to do this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions