Search for content in message boards

Chabot-Green Dench families

Chabot-Green Dench families

Posted: 20 May 2005 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone help with relatives of Bertram, Ethel and Sidney Dench. Leslie Flint. All of whom were actors/actresses in the 1920-1950 and seemed to have travelled widely, particulalry in America.
I am not related but have some literature that I would love to return to the rightful owner.

Re: Chabot-Green Dench families

Neal Dench (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2005 2:15PM GMT
Hello

I am the son of Bertram Dench, and the nephew of Sidney. Ethel was my father's first wife. I'm intrigued by your post because, to the best of my knowledge, Bertram never went to America, and I don't think Sidney did either (I don't know about Ethel).

I'd be very grateful if you could get back in touch with me via email. I have a large collection of my father's theatrical material, and am always interested in finding more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that was his long acting career!

Helen Bodenham (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 9:18AM GMT
I was trilled to see your post.

I am researching the Dench family - Sidney John (snr), Sidney (jr) Dora and Bertram. My husband's maternal grandfather was Sidney (jr) and his wife was Lydia Whitfield k/a Cissie - his mother was Mabel Dench also an actress k/a Toots. There were apparently two further generations of Dench actors further back.

We would certainly be very interested in any materials you might have on the Denches. I have been scouring the net for information on them as Bill as very little. We found Bill's cousin and Bertram son last year. Bill had no idea he existed and vice versa. They met for the first time last July.

We are very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Helen Bodenham

Helen Bodenham (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 9:20AM GMT
An addendum to my last post -I was so excited to see your post I did not see Neal' reply!!!

Helen

margaret plastow (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 12:10PM GMT
Hello Helen
I was going to send you a copy of the details that I sent to Neal but this programme will not take it. If you would like to send me your e-mail address I will sned you details of what is available.
My e-mail is arthurjames@corydon.fsworld.co.uk Yes that is right CORYDON not croydon!
Margaret Plastow

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 3:43PM GMT
Hi there,

I have just stumbled upon this thread whilst searching for information on my Grandad (Charles Ross, actor early 1900/1920s) and Grandmother (Delia/Della/Nina Lockwood/Aldous, actress same era.) They worked with The Carlton Fredericks on pantos mostly around the West Country. I was researching using The British Newspaper Library website and saw that my Grandad played "Ali Baba" to Cissie's "Corgia" at the Exeter Theatre Royal in Feb 1919 production of The 40 Thieves.There is a large amount to information on Cissie and Sidney's performances during that time on the Newspaper website if you have not already found it. I know very little else, especially about my own grandparents who seem very hard to track down. I have no photos of any performances. Any info you may have about them or any other performances from Carlton Fredericks would be greatly recieved. best wishes,

Ellalaine

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 8:03AM GMT
Hi Ellalaine,

Got your message. I have not come across your Grandad or Grandmother. However I have researched through "The Stage" publication and got lots of information on the Dench/Artaud/Whitfield actors. I think it goes back as far as the 1880s to the present day. However note that it is not free you have to subscribe to it. Good luck with your hunting and if I come across anything on your family I will come back to you.

Helen

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 10:59AM GMT
Hi Helen,

Thanks very much for your message. I have not tried The Stage yet :) Hoping to give it some time in the next few weeks,

Ellalaine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions