Search for content in message boards

Kicklighter family

Kicklighter

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Kicklighter
The book CEMETERIES OF UPPER COLLETON COUNTY SOUTH CAROLINA
by Evelyn and Gibson Bryan 1st printing 1969, available in reprint or interlibrary loan mentions a little about the Kicklighters.

Supposedly, Thomas Kicklighter, his wife and 3 children:
Catherine, Elizabeth, and John Frederick arrived in Charleston, SC on February 5, 1753 aboard the "Elizabeth" which had sailed from Holland. John was 10 years old at the time.

Apparently, Thomas Kicklighter settled in the forks between the Saluda and the Broad Rivers, known as the Dutch Forks. This is up near Columbia, SC and not in Colleton County.

It is pointed out that a Thomas Kicklighter born in 1798
moved to Hilton Head which is in modern Beaufort County.

Apparently, going by the information in the Bryan's book a Kicklighter owned a farm west of Smoaks, SC in Colleton County. The book does not mention which Kicklighter first owned that property. There is a small cemetery on the land
which contained only 4 graves when the Bryans researched their book. The oldest dates back to 1893, that of Henry Kicklighter born April 6, 1804. There may have have been other graves. To quote, "The original grave markers were destroyed by a former occupant to plant the field."

The Bryans mention a Kicklighter Family Reunion being held at Beard's Creek Primitive Baptist Church in Glenville, Georgia. I don't know if anymore reunions have been held since then, almost 30 years ago.

Kicklighter family

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Kicklighter, Odom
Looking for any personal history on John Frederick Kicklighter (b. 1743, Germany, father Thomas Kicheliter, b. abt. 1710, Germany) m. Eliza L. Odom. John Frederick apparently immigrated to S.C. and settled in Colleton,, but I have no information on when. Would like to know exactly where as well, also any info on his parents, brothers, sisters, what he and his family did for a living, etc.

Later members of the family moved on to Bulloch Co., GA, then to Bradford or Union Co. FL.

Thanks for whatever insight or leads anyone can provide.

Jesse Morgan Kicklighter

Terry Utter (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jesse Morgan Kicklighter, Charles Bud Remer Kicklighter
My name is Terry Utter. I was born from Robert Earl Kicklighter. His father was Jesse Morgan Kicklighter. Jesse's father was Charles ( Bud) Remer Kicklighter. I am searching for any information containing to this family. I am just getting started on our geneology, so I have not gotten much material. I have heard alot of different things, but so far, I have no concrete evidence. Does anyone have any informatin for me? I believe the majority of the family was in either Georgia or Florida.

Kicklighter

Posted: 4 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:13PM GMT
I am not sure but do not believe many Kicklighters are left in Colleton County, SC. Possibly trying the Kicklighter
Genforum may help. Its at genforum.genealogy.com/kicklighter/ There is no www.

Apparently they did hold their annual reunion last year in
Glennville, Georgia. I have not seen anything about 2001

Try rkick@supernet.net They had information about last year's reunion and may have something on this year's.
Also, they may be able to help with any Kicklighter history.

Re: Jesse Morgan Kicklighter

Posted: 3 Jul 2001 9:54PM GMT
Terry, Can you tell me where yoour Charles Remer Kicklighter was born,and who his wife was. I might be able to help you. This sounds like some of the family of George Kickligher
and Nepsey Woodcock,from Bulloch County,Ga.

Terry Utter (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 12:15AM GMT
I did find out that Charles(Bud)Remer Kicklighter was born on April 29, 1868 in the Harville, Bullock, Ga. and he was married to a Jeannette(Nettie)Cook. I hope this information is helpful to you. Please contact me as soon as you find out something more.

Earl Kicliter (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2001 7:23PM GMT
Hello Terry,
I am a grandson of John Lafayette Kicklighter who was Bud Remer's brother. I have information on the family of Jesse Morgan Kicklighter. If you want I will send you my descendants list. Would you tell me about the descendants of Jesse Morgan Kicklighter?
Earl Kicliter

Jo Woodward (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2001 2:37AM GMT
Annette, I've been e-mailing, recently, with someone who is looking for info on George and Nepsy Kicklighter. If you have some, I'm sure she'd appreciate getting it. I'll check with her -- if you are willing -- and be glad to give you her e-mail address.

Re: Kicklighter

Jan Lowry (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2003 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT, BISHOP, HIERS, KICKLIGHTER, TAYLOR
Looking for the family of LAURA KICKLIGHTER b. abt 1858 SC married Jacob Bennett. They are found on the 1880 Colleton Dist. SC census: Their Bennett children were: (1) Frank (2) Daniel Webster b. 1875 m. Matilda Taylor; (3) Joseph W. b. abt 1876; (4) Charles P. b. abt 1878; and (5) Daisy A. b. abt 1880.

Does anyone know if there is another KICKLIGHTER living in the Colleton area who was contemporary to Henry and Rebecca (Smith) Kicklighter and his family?

I really need to find Laura's family. She may have remarried. Jacob remarried a Mary Elizabeth Bishop and had two more children.

Please let me know if there is anyone who can do lookups for the Colleton SC area.

Re: Kicklighter family

Jim Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2004 11:47PM GMT
Jo,

My gggrandfather Joseph Thomas was born in Colleton District, SC in 1820 and came to Florida by 1834. The first homeplace for which he had title was at the crossroads at Theressa, now in Bradford County. In 1866 Joseph and wife Sophia sold the land to Frederick Kicklighter, who is buried in the cemetery there. There seems to be a link between Colleton and Bradford Counties. In addition to our families, there are Johns and Crosby links as well and probably more. Makes one think they may have migrated together. If you run across any Thomas's in your work, please let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions