Search for content in message boards

Delaware Land - Given or Surname?

Delaware Land - Given or Surname?

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Wanted to clarify how to key the following example:

Helen du Pont Gant

I know that in this project you do not have an Alias Surname field and it could be keyed several ways depending upon if information in the document identifies that du Pont was her maiden name. For argument sake, let's say the document does not indicate whether du Pont is a maiden name or a given middle name. Where would you key du Pont - after Helen in the given name field, or before Gant in the surname field? I have been keying it in the given field. While reviewing, I have come across du Pont being keyed in the surname field before Gant.

In the same example, let's say the document does indicate that du Pont was her maiden name because she is mentioned as the daughter of du Pont. It is my understanding that you would key du Pont in the surname field and drop the Gant (according to Keying Standards on how maiden names should be entered without an alias field). Most keyers are entering the maiden name in the given field after Helen and entering Gant in the surname.

Also, would how she signed her name factor into how it should be keyed?

Re: Delaware Land - Given or Surname?

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT
Would in this case go with Helen du Pont(given) Gant(surname)as it only "indicates" & not "states" her maiden name was du Pont.

The signature would be used where there is different spellings of the name, if she signed Helen Gant would still go with the above.

Kerrie.

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 9:04PM GMT
Thanks Kerrie. I just made up different examples that I have run across before. In the second scenario, I was trying to give an example where it does indeed state that Helen du Pont Gant was the daughter of Henry du Pont. In that case, I think du Pont would be the correct entry for surname.

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 9:56PM GMT
Du Pont could still be her middle name rather than maiden name in that case, though - for instance, if she was illegitimate she could have been given her father's surname as a middle name.

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 10:11PM GMT
Yes, that could indeed be true. I guess I'm struggling with where do you draw the line? Would you automatically assume she could be illegitimate in the document, or would it require a specific statement that she was illegitimate?

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:17PM GMT
Here's another example where I want to change all of the four daughters surnames to "Heald". I'm only showing a part of the image, but this is what was recorded as the last will and testament of John Heald. It states "my four daughters" and then goes on name his four daughters and then their husbands. The keyer entered their married surnames. Don't want to change the surnames if I am interpreting this incorrectly.
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:58PM GMT
As far as I know, you should key the surname that is shown for them on the image and it is only when both surnames are given for a person, e.g. Elizabeth Smith formerly Brown, that you have to choose the maiden name. You couldn't be certain that the daughters did all have the surname Heald as their maiden name, in any case - if some were step-daughters, he might well not mention that in his will.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 10:27PM GMT
Thanks for the clarification Kate - I really hadn't thought of it that way (only when both surnames are mentioned). Just hate not including the maiden name while indexing in documents that could be extremely helpful to researchers. However, if they are doing research on this family, hopefully they know John Heald was the father - his name is indexed; the rest of the information is there for them to read.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions