Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Black Dorsey and Lavalais ancestors

Looking for info on Black Dorsey and Lavalais ancestors

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dorsey, Lavallais
My 4x great grandfather was Edmond Dorsey who was a soldier with the 51st US Colored infantry during the Civil War. He was born about 1828 and according the the records lived in Avoyelles Parish most of his life.
His son was William Nelson Dorsey born around 1860 who 1st married a Simonia, born abt 1867, then married Cornelia Normand as his 2nd wife. I have found plenty of information of his second wife's family (they have an amazing story), but I am descended from his first wife through their son Landry Dorsey so would like to find info on her family if possible.
I have deduced from my research that Simonia's maiden name was probably Lavallais but I am having a hard time finding information on her because I find the name spelled differently on nearly every record I've come across. I have seen Lavalais, Lavallie, Lavallee and Lavallair. If anyone has any information on anyone that I have described here I would greatly appreciate your knowledge!

Re: Looking for info on Black Dorsey and Lavalais ancestors

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 4:57AM GMT
Hello,

Please see my family tree- I have both Lavallais and Dorsey surnames from Avoyelles Parish. This may help. Though our Dorsey is also listed as "Daucey" or "Daucy". Perhaps we are related? Also, Lavallais surname only goes back so far in Avoyelles Parish, you may want to check the surrounding parishes. I would love to hear the stories of your family.

Cheryce

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 4:33PM GMT
Thank you very much for the info! I'm still on my hunt!

Posted: 22 Jul 2011 10:06PM GMT
Surnames: Dorsey/ Normand
Please email me at fcmboley@aol.com. I am the great niece of Wm Nelson and Cornelia Normand Dorsey. Might be able to help.
or email me your phone #.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 3:28PM GMT
I sent you an email. Thank you so much for your response!

Posted: 11 May 2012 7:13PM GMT
I've been told that Dorsey was related to my family line from my cousin. I have came across that name.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 11:33AM GMT
THYE SAME.. I TOO AM RESEARCHING THEM.. FOREST LAVALAIS MARRIED ONE OF MY ANCESTORS, ANGELINA MAGEE.

Posted: 22 Jun 2012 4:09AM GMT
I will send you some info. thru your yahoo email.

Posted: 22 Jun 2012 4:12AM GMT
Hello! Thank you so much for your offer to send info. I just wanted to clarify that my email address is a GMAIL address and not yahoo. It is hugrad04@gmail.com. Thanks again!! I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 12:12AM GMT
In box me your email address & I'll send you what little info. I have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions