Search for content in message boards

PRESTON's of Bradford, Yorkshire

PRESTON's of Bradford, Yorkshire

ken hartley (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2003 6:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for anyone connected to the family of JOHN & RACHEL (Jenkinson) PRESTON of Bradford, Yorkshire circa 1820+. John Preston was born circa 1818 and was a Poulterer by trade. John & Rachel had 5 children - Robert (1847), Albert (1853), Andrew (1855), Martha (1858) and William (1864). Robert was a coal miner or stone mason and married Alice Whittingham and had 4 children - Hannah, Mary, Eliza and Rachel. Eliza would marry a John Haigh in 1895. Robert & family lived in Bradford. Albert was a water meter inspector and married a Mary Ann ??? and they had 9 chhildren - Annie, John, Louisa, William, Harry, Alfred, Robert, Andrew and Edward. Albert & his family lived in Lancashire - Whitworth & Rochdale areas. Andrew was a woll warehouseman and married Ann Elizabeth Boocock. I have found no children for them. Martha married Joseph Moore, a yeast/poultry dealer and they had 4 children - Samuel, Lucy Ann, Rachael and Morris. They also lived in Bradford - on IVY LANE to be precise.

I believe William Preston, listed as son of John and Rachel was an adopted child - or just taken in (not officially adopted). On the 1871 Census, Willie Preston, age 6 is listed as "nephew"; then on the 1881 and 1891 Censuses, he is listed as son. I believe this William Preston is in fact Albert Potterton Hartley, my Great Grandfather. Albert was born on October 5, 1864 in Harrogate, the son of an Annie Potterton. I believe his father was a Thomas Hartley. Annie gave her son up, later married a Thomas Burrill and had several other children. My Grandfather's sister, who recently died at the age of 102, said that she was told that Martha Moore was her father's sister - she was left in the care of Martha & Joseph Moore when her father emigrated to Canada with is 2 older sons - their mother having died in 1903.

If anyone connected to this family has any information as to the origins of John & Rachel's son William I would appreciate hearing from you as I am desparate to confirm that William Preston and Albert Hartley were one and the same person.........

THANKS

Ken Hartley
Canada

Re: PRESTON's of Bradford, Yorkshire

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2006 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: preston
i have been researching the prestons of bradford and i have traced my husbands great grandma back to john preston 1818, his son alberts son william actually married ann elizabeth boocock and andrew married mary alice mccargo in rochdale and their daughter is my husbands great grandma matilda. i was puzzling about william so i will ask her and she may know of some story or other although it is a long way back. i know ,most of the preston family stayed around bradford so she may not know much about them. please email me if i can be any help, michelle

michelle (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 9:53AM GMT
Surnames: preston/s of bradford
sorry i got mixed up with my andrew and williams, andrew b 1855 did marry ann elizabeth boocock.

Ken Hartley (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 1:52PM GMT
Hi Michelle

So you have traced the Preston family back to John & Rachel and discovered the mysterious "nephew/son" named William? I would be most interested to hear if you can find any info about his origins and whether or not he may be my Albert Potterton Hartley as I suspect. My Great Grandfather Albert does not show up on any census until 1901, by that time he has married and also changed his name to William Albert Hartley (about 1898). William was a butcher and I believe learned his trade from John Preston. I believe he may not have known that he was "adopted" until about the death of John Preston. Albert used his "real" name when he married in 1896 but there is no record of him before that and John died in 1895. I also think that as he was raised by John & Rachel under the name William that that is why there was the final change. William & wife, Annie Elizabeth Waddington had 3 children in Bradford - Harold, Wilfred (my Grandfather) and a daughter Ivy. According to Ivy, who lived to be 102 and died a few years ago, Martha (Preston) Moore was her father's sister and Ivy was supposedly named "Ivy" as the Moore's lived on Ivy Lane in Bradford. (Ivy did not not know Martha's maiden name and that took some digging on my part to discover). Annie Hartley died in 1903 and William emigrated to Canada with his two sons circa 1907 or so. Ivy was left in the care of Joseph & Martha Moore and came to Canada to join her father much later. Harold died in WW1. My Grandfather Wilfred died in 1975 - he had been married and had 2 sons as well.

If you can shed any light on the Preston connection to my Great Grandfather, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS Ken Hartley

Ken Hartley (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 1:52PM GMT
Hi Michelle

So you have traced the Preston family back to John & Rachel and discovered the mysterious "nephew/son" named William? I would be most interested to hear if you can find any info about his origins and whether or not he may be my Albert Potterton Hartley as I suspect. My Great Grandfather Albert does not show up on any census until 1901, by that time he has married and also changed his name to William Albert Hartley (about 1898). William was a butcher and I believe learned his trade from John Preston. I believe he may not have known that he was "adopted" until about the death of John Preston. Albert used his "real" name when he married in 1896 but there is no record of him before that and John died in 1895. I also think that as he was raised by John & Rachel under the name William that that is why there was the final change. William & wife, Annie Elizabeth Waddington had 3 children in Bradford - Harold, Wilfred (my Grandfather) and a daughter Ivy. According to Ivy, who lived to be 102 and died a few years ago, Martha (Preston) Moore was her father's sister and Ivy was supposedly named "Ivy" as the Moore's lived on Ivy Lane in Bradford. (Ivy did not not know Martha's maiden name and that took some digging on my part to discover). Annie Hartley died in 1903 and William emigrated to Canada with his two sons circa 1907 or so. Ivy was left in the care of Joseph & Martha Moore and came to Canada to join her father much later. Harold died in WW1. My Grandfather Wilfred died in 1975 - he had been married and had 2 sons as well.

If you can shed any light on the Preston connection to my Great Grandfather, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS Ken Hartley

Ken Hartley (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2005 1:53PM GMT
Hi Michelle
THANKS Ken Hartley

Ken Hartley (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2006 7:56PM GMT
Hi Michelle - was just curious whether or not you were able to find out any more information regarding the Preston Family of Bradford, Yorkshire and the son of John & Rachel named William??? Re-reading my post I see that I failed to mentoin that Eliza, daughter of Robert Preston (son of John & Rachel) married a John Haigh. John & Eliza Haigh were the witnesses to my Great Grandfather's marriage in Bradford in 1896 - Albert Potterton Hartley married Annie Elizabeth Waddington - he would later change his name to William Albert Hartley. I believe that he was raised as William Preston, son of John & Rachel Preston of Bradford.

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 6:51AM GMT
I have just come across your messages. I am researching the Prestons of Bradford as my mother was a Preston. Her line is through William Preston, who married Bridget Leighton and were my mother's great grandparents. I wondered if you had found out any more about Willie Preston aka Hartley etc. since your last post in 2006? I would be very interested to know what you discovered.

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 6:51AM GMT
Surnames: Preston
I have just come across your messages. I am researching the Prestons of Bradford as my mother was a Preston. Her line is through William Preston, who married Bridget Leighton and were my mother's great grandparents. I wondered if you had found out any more about Willie Preston aka Hartley etc. since your last post in 2006? I would be very interested to know what you discovered

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 12:25PM GMT
Well, I have not found out too much more about "Willie Preston" than I knew before but I am pretty sure that Willie Preston was my Great Grandfather Albert Potterton Hartley based on family stories, etc. Everything I know seems to point to that conclusion - how he ended up with the Preston family is still a mystery..... Have found out more about his mother and that there were possibly a number of children that would be his step-siblings - seems she had quite a few children and possibly quite a few "partners".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions