Search for content in message boards

Hanks Family of Carroll County

Hanks Family of Carroll County

Posted: 3 Jun 2010 3:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hanks, Kane, Carrico, Tucker
I am trying to locate information on William Hanks, son of Joshua and Ruth Byrant Hanks. He was born in Grayson County and died in Carroll County in 1868. I know he had several children with his first two wives, Dicey Tucker and Nancy Carrico. I believe that his last wife was Elizabeth Kane. I have located him living with Elizabeth Kane and her son from a previous marriage, David, in the 1860 Census in Carroll County. I am unable to locate anything else. I would really love to know where he is buried. I would appreciate any information as this is my brick wall! Thank you!

Re: Hanks Family of Carroll County

Posted: 3 Jun 2010 3:15AM GMT
Sorry, don't know where William is buried

Descendants of William Hanks

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM4 HANKS (JOSHUA3, RICHARD2, WILLIAM1) was born 24 May 1781 in Grayson County, VA, and died 24 Dec 1868 in Carroll County, VA. He married (1) DICEY TUCKER Bef. 1810 in Surry County, NC. He married (2) MARTHA MOORE 10 Oct 1810 in Surry County, NC, daughter of EDWARD MOORE and MARTHA. She died Bef. 1820 in Grayson County, VA. He married (3) NANCY ELIZABETH CARRICO 02 Jan 1820 in Grayson County, VA, daughter of ABEL CARRICO and NANCY KENT. She was born Abt. 1789 in Grayson County, VA, and died Abt. 1862 in Carroll County, VA. He married (4) ELIZABETH CAIN 1863. She was born Abt. 1811.

More About WILLIAM HANKS:

Cause of death (Facts Pg): Old age per death record

Children of WILLIAM HANKS and DICEY TUCKER are:

i. FRANKLIN5 HANKS, b. Abt. 1812, Grayson County, VA; d. Abt. 1894, Grainger Co., TN; m. MARTHA KESTER, 06 Aug 1830, Grayson County, VA; b. Abt. 1811, Grayson County, VA.

Notes for FRANKLIN HANKS:

Moved away in the 1850's

ii. LUCINDA HANKS, b. 22 Sep 1819, Grayson County, VA; m. DAVID DAVIS, 01 Oct 1835, Grayson County, VA*; b. Abt. 1814, Grayson County, VA; d. Bef. 1880.

Notes for DAVID DAVIS:

In his later years, he ran a mill

Children of WILLIAM HANKS and NANCY CARRICO are:

iii. NANCY KENT5 HANKS, b. 25 Sep 1821, Grayson County, VA; d. 02 Dec 1909, Carroll County, VA; m. NATHANIEL HAWKS, 21 Sep 1837, Grayson County, VA*; b. 22 Jan 1810, Grayson County, VA; d. 19 Jun 1896, Carroll County, VA.

Notes for NANCY KENT HANKS:

There is also a marriage record dated 1/21/1868

More About NANCY KENT HANKS:

Burial: Mount Carroll United Methodist Church Cemetery, Carroll County, VA

Notes for NATHANIEL HAWKS:

Lived near Lambsburg

More About NATHANIEL HAWKS:

Burial: Mount Carroll United Methodist Church Cemetery, Carroll County, VA

Marriage Notes for NANCY HANKS and NATHANIEL HAWKS:

Remarried after divorcing

iv. SABRINA R. HANKS, b. Abt. 1828, Grayson County, VA; d. 10 Apr 1873, Carroll County, VA; m. STEPHAN PAYNE, 23 Jan 1845, Surry County, NC; b. Abt. 1820, Grayson County, VA; d. 14 Nov 1872, Carroll County, VA.

More About SABRINA R. HANKS:

Burial: Creed Golding's place (by tradition)

Cause of death (Facts Pg): Childbirth per death record

More About STEPHAN PAYNE:

Burial: Creed Golding's place (by tradition)

Cause of death (Facts Pg): Brain fever per death record

v. JULINA HANKS, b. 06 Jun 1829, Grayson County, VA; d. 31 Mar 1903, Carroll County, VA; m. (1) LEVI PAYNE, 1845, Surry County, NC; b. Abt. 1827, Grayson County, VA; d. 17 May 1865, Point Lookout, Maryland; m. (2) SEATON CHANDLER, 04 Jan 1872, Carroll County, VA; b. Abt. 1810, NC; d. Bef. 1900, Carroll County, VA.

Notes for JULINA HANKS:

HH281 Pipers Gap, Carroll County, 1900 Census

More About JULINA HANKS:

Burial: Mount Carroll United Methodist Church Cemetery

More About LEVI PAYNE:

Burial: Grave 8920, Confederate Cemetery

Cause of death (Facts Pg): Chronic diarrhea while a POW

Military service: Pvt Co., C. 29th VA, CSA

vi. SYLVANUS HANKS, b. Apr 1830, Grayson County, VA; d. Aft. 1900; m. SUSAN; b. Abt. 1826, NC; d. Bef. 1900.

Notes for SYLVANUS HANKS:

Living with his daughter Celia in 1900

More About SYLVANUS HANKS:

Census: 1880, HH292

vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON HANKS, b. 20 Jun 1833, Grayson County, VA; d. 25 Jan 1885, Carroll County, VA; m. (1) MARGARET STEVENSON; b. 15 Jun 1832, SC; d. 23 Mar 1904, Carroll County, VA; m. (2) MARY LOUISA MORRIS, 04 Jan 1852, Surry County, NC; b. Abt. 1839, Stokes County, NC; d. Aft. 1910, Carroll County, VA.

Notes for GEORGE WASHINGTON HANKS:

Death reported by the Yadkin Valley News

More About GEORGE WASHINGTON HANKS:

Cause of death (Facts Pg): Asthma per death record

More About MARGARET STEVENSON:

Notes for MARY LOUISA MORRIS:

Her children are listed as her brothers and sisters on the 1860 census (HH 364)

HH106 FGD 1900 Carroll living with Mary Louemma's family

Posted: 3 Jun 2010 3:19AM GMT
What an amazing amount of information! My line is from George Washington. I did not know that there was any information on his death in a newspaper. Is this something that you have?

Posted: 3 Jun 2010 11:55AM GMT
Surnames: Hanks, Morris
I don't know where my response went, but in case you did not see it - what an amazing amount of information! I am getting ready to go to Mt. Caroll and take photos, so now I understand the relation between Wash and his brothers. Wash is my husband's line. I have many pieces of information/documentation if you are interested on Wash, Mary Morris and their son, William "Jeff" Hanks. Jeff was my husband's gg grandfather. If you have any further information, I would greatly appreciate it. How did you find the information on the Yadkin Valley News? Is it something that you have or saw online somewhere? Your e-mail was the most accurate I have seen. There is a lot of misinformation online and I am pretty excited to have your info. I know where they are all buried, except for William and it is pretty frustrating.

Posted: 3 Jun 2010 9:07PM GMT
You are welcome to the information. I try to be accurate as I can.

I saw the reference to his death in a book that has abstracts of news articles from NC newspapers. I have not seen the article myself but will find the book and send you the reference.

What I sent is all I have on this family but I would welcome any information you are willing to share. You may email me directly if you like.

best regards,
Ron Hall
Carroll County Historical Society

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 3:20AM GMT
Just wanted to thank you again. I looked up the article and made a copy of it. I will make sure to scan it and send it your way. Thank you again! If you ever come across anything, please keep me in mind!

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:09PM GMT
Hi,
I'm descended from the Morris Family in North Carolina, who are the same Family as Mary Morris. I was wondering if all of Mary's children belong to Wash? I am looking for the Father of Mary's son George Morris.
Carolyn

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:17PM GMT
Hello! Wash and Mary only had one child together, William Jefferson (Jeff). I will look into my records later today and see if I have that information. Mary had several children - some from different dads, but never remarried. I'll let you know!

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 6:01PM GMT
Thank-you! Luckily George's two siblings died in North Carolina so there are detailed Death Certificates that list the Parents. His brother Thomas was listed as illegitimate,and his sister LouEmma was listed with a John Morris as her Father. But George died in Virginia and I can't find a Virginia Death Certificate for him.
Carolyn

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 7:11PM GMT
That's interesting about John Morris. John Morris was Mary's father. Maybe it was an error?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions