Search for content in message boards

George M. Bragg

George M. Bragg

Posted: 9 Feb 2006 7:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on George M. Bragg, middle name possibly (Maynard). He is my great-grandfather. George and his wife left my grandfather at the State Board of Children Guardians. They were part of a traveling circus called George M. Gragg and the Vaudeville Circus. They never returned for my grandfather after they left him. It was rumored that the Braggs concieved another child. I know my grandfather was born in Bangor Maine. Does anyone know anything about this Bragg family?

Re: George M. Bragg

Bob Pratt (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 9:27PM GMT
Your query seems vague. Who was the father to George M. Bragg? Was it George Bragg born somewhere in Maine
in 1840 or Wilbert P. Bragg born in February, 1853?
Wilbert P. Bragg was my g-grandfather.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 11:38PM GMT
I might have some information that you are looking for.

What was your grandfather name and birhdate?

Do you know about what year he was left?

Posted: 3 Mar 2007 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Bragg
I know a bit about the Braggs!

My grandmother was Pearl Verdie Bragg, b. 1915 New York.
She was not raised by her parents. She was raised in Maine. Census of 1930 shows her father as being born in Maine and mother was "Canada French". She had a sister, Dorithea (sp?) who was born approx 1921 in New Hampshire.
They are both listed as "granddaughter" in the 1930 census.

We heard stories from Dorithea's husband about the bullwhip tricks and tightrope walking that George Bragg did.
Hope this helps!

Posted: 28 May 2007 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Bragg
My George M. Bragg was born in Shapleigh Maine in 1890.

If you search the military records his WWI draft registration is there listing his occupation as "actor"
and that he was employed by a "travel organization". He is my great grandfather who was in vaudeville doing tightrope walking & whip tricks. We know this through an elderly uncle who was his son-in-law. The draft registration lists him as widower who had 2 children under age 12. It was dated June 1917.

What is your grandfather's name?

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 4:50AM GMT
Just read your post and I'm excited to learn a few more things about Geo. M. Bragg. He is my grandfather, my grandmother is either his second or third marriage. He died when I was 8 years old. That was Idaho in 1965. I am wanting to known more about his early life, marriages, children, etc. Could we exchange some info?

Thanks in Advance

Posted: 2 Oct 2007 4:58AM GMT
I found Pearl V Bragg in the 1920 Census. Do you think this is the same person.

Home - Freeport, Cumberland, Maine
Est birthdate - 1915
Relation - Boarder
Father Birthplace - Maine
Mother Birthplace - Canada

Can not find any other Braggs in this census, but with the pieces of the story that I know this is not a surprise.

Thanks Again,

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Bragg of Maine
Yes!
This is the Pearl Bragg.
She lived with grandparents while her father was gone.
I do not know if her mother was living at this point.

I'd be happy to share our family information!

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 12:00AM GMT
I'm scattered and can't remember if I replied or not!

Yes, this is the correct Pearl Bragg.
She was living with George M. Bragg's mother
in Maine.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Bragg, Palmer, Maynard, Mudgett
I am also trying to learn more about George M. Bragg. He had three wives and many children that would be siblings and half siblings to my father. I have found his second wife, Anna Sarah Maynard had three sons. I believe my father is one of the three sons. I was told they couldn't take him on the road shows so he was left behind maybe at an orphanage in Newport, Vermont. He was adopted by the Hutchinson's in Barre, Vermont. I would love to have to met and known all these Aunt & Uncles.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic