Search for content in message boards

Baldoon Settlement

Baldoon Settlement

Posted: 6 Jan 2002 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jan 2006 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Thompson, White, Murray, Benway
I was born and raised in Wallaceburg with reportedly direct connections to the early Baldoon Settlers of the area. However I have not as yet been able to find this direct connection. My GGGgrandmother, Elizabeth Thompson, who married John Wilson, was stated to be my connection to these settlers. Dose anyone have information or possibly suggestions as to how I should continue to my research into discovering this missing link in my family tree?

Re: Baldoon Settlement

Kent OGS (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2002 8:51PM GMT

Posted: 26 Mar 2002 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2002 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: McLean
I am a descendant of the McLean family who came to Canada as part of the Baldoon Settlers. Some of the lines of Baldoon have been researched by various descendants. While I have not found any of the names you mentioned in the McLean tree, it does not mean there is no Baldoon connection. The familes that left Scotland as Settlers were: McDonald, McLean, McDougall, McKenzie, Stewart, McPherson, Brown, McCallum, Buchanan and Morrison. The settlement as a settlement was a disaster. In fact many of the arrivals in 1804 died from malaria etc. My ancestor was killed in the war of 1812. As a result, the families left the settlement, and married into the surrounding families of Kent.

I would suggest the you trace back as far as you can on all lines, and then place another query with the oldest Kent lines on this site. I would also search the census, OVS and various Kent libraries (if you have access), and check the museum in Wallaceburg (again if you have access - as some of the preliminary trees for each family were done).

An excellent book was done by Doug McKenzie, "Baldoon" which traces the journey etc. If you ever make a connection to the settlement, UWO's library in London has a copy of Selkirks papers in their historical room.

Keep searching

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald ~ Moor
I am a descendent of John Moor McDonald. His Parents were involved in the Baldoon Settlement also. John was born 1804 (which is on his cemetery stone) (1880 atlas says different) I have looked at all the Settlers of the Baldoon and none seen to fit my John. I was told that he was a Cousin to the John McDonald that was involved in the Baldoon Mystery. Still no luck. Researching for over 20 years I just can't find his Parents. It means alot to me to find the rest of our roots but sadly I cannot go back any further. John's son Henry was a Ferry-man from Sombra to the US side of Roberts Landing. Some of the family came across the St. Clair River to live in Marine City and Algonac. My John sometimes went by the name of just John Moor, which is a bit puzzling. I am looking for John's Parents. The Surname I am looking for to go back another generation is either McDonald or Moore. Does any-one out there know any more info? I will check out Selkerks Papers as our John was born in this time frame
Any ideas please contact me at: animalsandfarmtreesrme@comcast.net

Posted: 3 Aug 2014 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: McDonald MacLean
I do not know if this will help, but the mystery family of McDonald's came from Tiree. Donald (Daniel) McDonald and Flora McDonald were living in Kenovay, Tiree prior to the emigration. In fact John T. McDonald was baptized in Kenovay. So, a good place to start might be Tiree! I personally believe that Donald McDonald was from Caoles, Tiree prior to his marriage to Flora McDonald who was of Kenovay. I also have a working theory that Donald and Mary McDonald MacLean (Allan MacLean's wife - Baldoon Settlers) were siblings. And as such. Donald's mother also came to Canada (the Allan MacLean's mother in law of Selkirk's Letters/Diary).

Posted: 4 Aug 2014 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2014 3:01PM GMT
Thank-you so much! Do you know who keeps the Diaries of Selkirk? My John Moor McDonald, in his orbit states he was the first White child born there. In 1804 Wallaceburgh was not called Wallaceburg but was Shanwanese Land. I have been looking for someone to have written this is their diary. I think this is the only way I may find the Parents to John Moor McDonald. I have been reading anything I can to get my hands onto find the answer. I know that John Moor McDonald was related to the John that was the mystery Baldoon, and his Father was Donald, which would make Donald a Brother to John's Father or Mother.

Posted: 5 Aug 2014 3:20PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2014 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: MacDonald MacLean
Selkirk's diaries (copies) are housed at the archive section (Lambton Room if I remember) of Weldon Library - University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario.

I have interest in your finding out more, as Mary MacDonald m. Allan MacLean was I believe Donald "Tailor" MacDonald's sister. Mary's mom also came to Canada with Allan and Mary. She died shortly after arriving at Baldoon from illness (malaria? fever?). Her death was definitely recorded in the letters to Selkirk!

I am also related to the mystery family through my Turner family, and remember my great aunt telling me many stories regarding the mystery.

I have tried a number of times to connect your John Moor McDonald, but no success.

Posted: 10 Aug 2014 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald MacLean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic