Search for content in message boards

Gonthier as Gonqué in St. Gervais, Bellechasse?

Gonthier as Gonqué in St. Gervais, Bellechasse?

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 5:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GAUTHIER, GONTHIER
While searching for GONTHIER families in the 1852 East Canada Census for St. Gervais and Protais Parish in Bellechasse, I was surprised to find several families enumerated as GONQUÉ. These same families are clearly identified as GONTHIER in the St. Gervais and Protais Parish records.

For example,
1852 Census: Magloire Gonqué and wife Catherine Jolivette
St. Gervais and Protais Parish record for 1849 baptism: Magloire Gonthier and wife Catherine Jolivet

The 1852 census taker is the same L. D. Blanchet for the whole St. Gervais and Protais parish, and he has enumerated some GONTHIER families and some GONQUÉ families. Perhaps some families identified themselves as GONQUÉ. I have done a good amount of GONTHIER - Bellechasse research, but this is the first time I have seen people whom the parish priest identified as GONTHIER being listed as GONQUÉ.

Since I am not a French speaker, my question is: does this make sense, and why? Is GONQUÉ a reasonable alternate pronunciation/spelling of GONTHIER in Quebec French?

One more piece of information: the modern transcriber of the 1852 Census page, Eric Gonthier, chose to transcribe the GONQUÉ entries as GONTHIER, with the following note:
"Gonquie a ete remplace par Gonthier"
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=3307...

A further question: were there GAUTHIER families in the Bellechasse parishes in the early-to-mid 1800s, or were there only GONTHIERs (i.e. descendents of Bernard GONTHIER)?

Thanks,
Robert Gauthier

Re: Gonthier as Gonqué in St. Gervais, Bellechasse?

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 2:48PM GMT
Hi Robert

I am the Eric Gonthier dit translate Gonquie to Gonthier. From a french prononciation, Gonquie and Gonthier is a bit similar but not enough i think to see a split in families.

However, for Magloire, and their son Antoine and Arsene, it is an transcription error. They are actually Gonthier. Magloire is my direct ancestor (5th generation) and on all the offical document (baptism, marriage, death certificate) prove it.

Eric

Re: Gonthier as Gonqué in St. Gervais, Bellechasse?

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 5:20AM GMT
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply; it is nice to meet you. Also, thanks for your work in transcribing the 1852 census.

If I understand your meaning, you transcribed Gonqué as Gonthier because you recognized your family and knew they were truly Gonthiers. Why do you think the 1852 census taker wrote Gonqué for some families but Gonthier for others?

Also, do you think there were GAUTHIER families in the Bellechasse region in the early-to-mid 1800s, or were there only GONTHIERs? From the parish records I've read (St-Gervais, St-Charles), I only see Gonthiers. I presume they are all descended from Bernard Gonthier.

regards,

Robert Gauthier
- a Gonthier descendent
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions