Search for content in message boards

John Walker b abt 1730 Lunenburg Co. VA/Orange Co, NC - Ann Potter b abt 1734 NC

John Walker b abt 1730 Lunenburg Co. VA/Orange Co, NC - Ann Potter b abt 1734 NC

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walker - Potter - Moore
Based on information from World Connect (Raper, Vanderford, Kingsland, Wilkins & Connecting Branches), I am trying to trace ancestors of (1) John Walker listed as having been born Abt. 1730 in Lunenburg Co., VA which possibly is not correct given that Lunenburg did not form from Bunswick Co. until 1746, and his wife Ann Potter born Abt. 1734 in Orange Co., NC, again location may not be correct - Orange Co., NC was not formed until 1752 from Bladen, Granville, and Johnston Cos. According to the World Connect source, they had at least one child named Susannah born Abt. 1758 in North Carolina who married Dempsey Moore 20 Aug 1778 in Granville Co., NC and had 10 children (Dempsey, Jr. b abt. 1790 Caswell Co., George b abt 1790 Caswell, Martha "Patsy" b abt 1795, Laney b abt 1800 Pitt Co., Edward, James, Richard, Samuel, Mark and John, all born in NC). Other information about John Walker and Ann Potter comes from a Walker-L Archives thread (May 2002) in which John is identified as being Capt. John Walker and his having been born in Orange County, NC - married Ann Potter 5 Aug 1753 - other children besides Susannah are listed as Solomon and Ann. Any help with the Walker-Potter ancestors and information about this family would be greatly appreciated. John and Ann are my husband's 6th generation grandparents. I will gladly share family history information of descendants of Susannah Walker Moore that I have and other information that I am able to identify. Regards, Catherine Roberts

Re: John Walker b abt 1730 Lunenburg Co. VA/Orange Co, NC - Ann Potter b abt 1734 NC

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 6:00PM GMT
I'm wondering if the World Connect file indicated a source for the list of children assigned to Dempsey Moore and Susanna Walker? I too am the sixth great-grandson of John and Ann Potter Walker. I descend from their daughter Ann Potter Walker and her husband Ralph Williams. In case you're interested, I have a transcription of John Walker's Last Will and Testament which might help you with your search. Naturally, I would be more than happy to share that with you.

Walt Boswell

Re: John Walker b abt 1730 Lunenburg Co. VA/Orange Co, NC - Ann Potter b abt 1734 NC

Posted: 3 May 2008 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Moore
I was glad to see your reply. I sent email to you with address I found during just a search using google that pulled up some Walker-L correspondence but the address was bad. I was disappointed because I feel you are way ahead of me in the Walker research. I am uncertain as to the source of the Dempsey Moore children's names. I am going to contact Mr. Draper who put the information in World Connect about several of his sources as I try to include as much detail in my records as possible in order to validate them. One correction I need to make is that John is my husband's 7th great-grandparent not 6th - miscounted! I am certain that my husband would be very pleased and honored to have John's last will and testament. We, of course, will reimburse you for your costs. Are you writing up a history of John's family? I know that my daughter and husband would appreciate any details you are willing to share. For example, I am curious about the "Capt." I have seen before his name. I am in the process of trying to get my husband's history entered into Family Tree Maker and am willing to share the file with you just as soon as I finish it. I have some information completed on the line starting from John Walker and probably will have that finished in a day or two. I will try to get the information from Mr. Draper about the Dempsey Moore history so that it will be included. So many people have helped me with all of my family history research that I always try to help in anyway I can. I live in the Houston, TX, area and I have access to the Clayton Library which is one of the leading geneology libraries in the US. If you can think of anything I might look up there that would help with the Walker information let me know. The Clayton Library has an online catalog. Regards, Catherine

Posted: 4 May 2008 12:25PM GMT
There may be some misunderstanding here. I do not have a copy of the original Last Will and Testament of John Walker of Granville County, NC. Instead, I have a transcription which was originally given to me by Mark Freeman, another John Walker and Ann Potter researcher. Here is what I have concerning the matter.

Abstract:
Person County Record Books, Book 1, December 1795, p. 108:
14 Mar 1795: John Walker of Granville co NC - Will - dated 14 March, 1795. daughter Susannah Moore, wife of Demsey Moore; granddaughter Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Demsey Moore, granddaughter Mary Alexander Williams, daughter of Ralph and Anna Williams, grandson John Walker Williams; wife Ann (or Anna); after death of wife Ann, grandson John Walker, son of Solomon and Martha Walker, to receive "all that tract of land known by the name of Oxford, whereon Granville Court House now stands"; children of Ralph and Ann Williams. Exec: wife, Ann, Jas. Taylor, Wm. Hunt, son-in-law Demsey Moore. Proved Dec. 1795.

Full Text of Will:
Last Will and Testament of John Walker of Granville County, NC
"In the name of God Amen; I John Walker of the County of Granville and State of North Caro lina being of sound mind and memory do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament in manner and form following to wit Imprimis, I leave and bequeath my soul to God who gave it hoping for a reserection
... and my body to be buried at the discretion of my executors hereafter named in my will and desire that all my Last and lawful debts of my estate be paid out at the discretion of my executors.
"I give and bequeath to my daughter Susannah Moore wife of Dempsey Moore the following Negroes viz, Sylvia, Phyllis, Lucy Fox and Charles purchased of Matthew Hankins (Hawkins?) and their increase and after the death of my wife. I also give unto the said Susannah Moore Caul, Hannah, and Aron and their increase and also one-half of my stud horse four years old this spring.

"Item I give and bequeath to my grand daughter Elizabeth Moore daughter of Dempsey Moore and Susannah Moore heretofore given Little Caul and Ede.

"Item I give and bequeath to my grand daughter Mary Alexander Williams daughter of Ralph and Anna Williams a negro girl by the name of Hannah one bed and furniture to her and her assigns forever.

"Item I give and bequeath to my grand son John Walker Williams one negro boy named Peter as also one negro boy by the name of Mark to him and his assigns forever.

"Item I give and bequeath to my loving wife Ann Walker Six negroes viz, George, Chloe, Adam , David, Sammie, and Judah as also all the money I have in hand two riding mairs and harnesses and also debts due me by bond or otherwise as to all my stocks of horses, cattle, hogs and sheep. My house and kitchen furniture, working tools & etc. to her and her assigns forever except such legacies are heretofore given in the will.

"Item All the rest of my estate Real and Personal I lend to my wife Anna Walker during her natural life to her use and benefit

"Item I give to my grand son John Walker son of Solomon and Martha Walker after the death of my wife Ann all that tract of land known by the name of Oxford, wherein Granville court house now stands to him his heirs and assigns forever.

"After the decease of my wife I give unto the children of Ralph & Ann Williams the following Negroes but my wife during her life viz Ned, Charles, James, Cate, Abraham and Daniel to be equally divided among them share and share alike.

"I constitute and appint my loving wife Ann Walker executrix, and Lot Taylor, William Hunt and my son-in-law Dempsey Moore executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all wills by me heretofore made and in witness hereof I have ... my hand & seal. This 11th day of arch Anno Dom 1793. Signed, sealed and published in the presence of oseph Taylor, Daniel Ray, and John Williams (Signed) John Walker(seal)."

Person county December term 1795

The execution of this will was duly proved in the open court by oath of Jos Taylor and moved to be recorded.

Finally, John Walker was Captain of Granville County, North Carolina Militia, thus the title.

Walt Boswell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic