Search for content in message boards

McNeills and/or Neills of Tranent

McNeills and/or Neills of Tranent

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 4:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Apr 2004 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: MCNEIL MCNEILL NEIL NEILL REID SWAN
I'm researching my McNeill/Neill ancestors in Tranent. If anyone is researching the same family or has any information about this family, please contact me.
Here are the names:
John Neill and Christian Swan were married May 20, 1825 at Tranent. Their children were:
Christian b. 1826
Janet b. 1828 (m. Robert Duncan)
Anne b. 1832
Andrew b. 1834 (m. Catherine Reid, June 21, 1860 in Tranent)
Joan b. 1836 (m. John Neill)
Frances(female) b. 1839
There may be others that I haven't found yet. I found in my research that the family has used both Neill/Neil and McNeill/McNeil as their surname.

Re: McNeills and/or Neills of Tranent

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: Grieve, Gordon, Selkirk in Tranent, E.L.
Hi:

There is a little more information on you Neills (McNeills):

1881 Census for Tranent, East Lothian
Dwelling: Elder St.
Census Place: Tranent, E.L.

Robert Duncan M 57 M Born Tranent
Rel: Head
Occ: Coal Miner

Janet McNeill M 52 F Born Tranent
Rel: Wife
Occ: Out Worker

William Livingston M 65 M Born Tranent
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Labourer

From the IGI:
Andrew McNeill
Catherine Reid married 21 June 1860
Children:
Robert McNeill B. 1 Feb. 1863 Inveresk
John McNeill B. 21 Feb. 1861 Tranent
Margaret McNeill B. 8 April 1865 Tranent

John Neill
Joan Neill married 17 Jan. 1859 Tranent
Children:
Christina Neill B. 27 May 1860 Inveresk
John Neill B. 19 Feb. 1865 Inveresk
John Neill B. 23 Jan. 1866 Inveresk
Archibald Neill B. 14 Dec. 1861 Tranent

More children of John Neill and Christian Swan (B. abt.1805 Tranent)
Frances Fraser McNeill B. 22 Dec. 1839 (Under the name of John McNeill and Christian Swan on the IGI)
Jane Neill B. 4 May 1846 Tranent
Jane Neill B. 30 Jan 1842 Tranent
Margaret Neill B. 5 Oct. 1830 Newton, Mid.

I hope this helps,
Elinor in Ontario.

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 9:16PM GMT
Thank you so much for posting this information for me. I really appreciate it. Some of the information I already had but I didn't know about the 1881 Census or the two children named John born to Joan and John Neill. Do you have ancestors from Tranent too? Thanks again.
Laurie John from BC

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 10:02PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 11:57AM GMT
Hi Laurie:

Yes, I have a lot of ancestors that I am looking for in Tranent. I had the East Lothian 1851 census from the FHC in the spring and it was a great help.

Good Luck with your search,
Elinor.

William Wood (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2002 4:10AM GMT
I have quite a few Neills & McNeills on my database. Here are just a few;

Andrew Neil & Margaret Duncan (An amusing little note in the Old Parish register states… ‘Andrew Neil alias the Eel’)
Children & Witnesses:
Janet, 1795 Tranent; Witnesses; David Neil and William Wood
Margaret 1797 Tranent; ,, David Neil and James Neil
John 1799 Tranent;

David Neil & Frances Frazer
Children:
John; 1800 at Tranent
Andrew; 1811 at Tranent
Archibald; 1811 at Tranent

George Neil & Helen Swan
Children & Witness:
Thomas; 1799 at Tranent; Witnesses John & Thomas Neil

Archibald Neil & Christian McIntosh, M 1802
Children & Witness:
Mary; 1811 at Inveresk. Wits John & Thomas Neil

William Neill & Janet Wood M 1821 at Tranent

John Neil was witness to the baptism of William Wood & Elizabeth Martin’s child, 1825 at Inveresk. I suspect John’s wife was Anne Young married at Tranent 1809.

Hope it helps.

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 4:37AM GMT
Thank you, William. That information does help. I am trying to find the link between my ancestor John Neil/McNeil who married Christian Swan, May 25, 1825 in Tranent and his parents. I can't figure out who his parents were. The most likely ones would be David Neil/Frances Fraser who had a son named John b. Sep 3, 1800 in Tranent or Andrew Neil/Margaret Duncan who had two sons named John, one of them born 1799 and the other 1801. Do you know if the 1825 marriage record for John Neil and Christian Swan would be likely to give the groom's parents' names? This is only way I can see that I will be able to find out their names because there were so many John Neils born in Tranent at the turn of the century. I do have a death registration for a John McNeill, son of Andrew McNeil and Margaret Duncan who died in 1861 at the age of 61. This registration just says he was married but doesn't give his wife's name. The informant was his son, Andrew. I can't be sure if this is my ancestor because the wife's name isn't recorded in it, but everything else seems to fit. If you have any information that might help me, I would be very grateful. Thanks again, Laurie John

William Wood (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 4:01AM GMT
If you search through the Tranent Old Parish Records microfilm, you my see the witnesses or Cautioners. Quite often they are the bride & grooms brother or father. Sometimes they even state… ‘Brother of the groom etc’. However, the Tranent records got a bit sparse after 1799. Witnesses were recorded and then stopped for a while, then picked up. You may be lucky. I struck gold when I saw this entry in the old records; marriage in Tranent 1821, William Neill and Janet Wood, the daughter of deceased William Wood, a collier in Tranent.

Her mother was Janet Neill and a David Neill was recorded as witness to her baptism in 1796. This David I feel sure is the brother of Andrew Neill.

Try searching the 1841 Census of Tranent and Inveresk. His age will be recorded, however, for some weird reason, they estimated the age, e.g., 43 would be recorded 45, but sometimes they put it in correctly. If you’re really lucky, there may be guests recorded. Brother, sister or in-laws. Give the 1851 and 1861 census a try; he may be recorded as widower.

That’s bad luck on the Death Certificate, however, you say his son, Andrew was the informant. That’s very strong evidence. Looking at my records, I would place Andrew Neill and Margaret Duncan as the parents.

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 4:22AM GMT
Dear William, thanks very much for the reply to my query. Do you have your family tree online anywhere? I would love to take a look at it. Are my McNeills related to yours? I will be making a webpage soon with my family tree on it. Thanks again, Laurie John from British Columbia, Canada.

Neil (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2003 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: Neil
Hi

just on your "married" detail. I have seen some death certificates with this and it can refer to more than one marriage. So you could check to see if another wife is recorded. To confuse the issue the second wife was often much younger and could have remarried later.

I haven't got any Neil's that connect to yours as yet but with a bit more research who knows.

Good Luck

Neil

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 12:38PM GMT
In your 1850 census for E. Lothian you wouldn't by and chance have the name of James Halliday, wife Margaret McNeily, son William born Tranent in 1847. This would be such a help if you did as I am having trouble finding this Halliday family.

Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions