Search for content in message boards

John Green Family needing info from year of 1788.

John Green Family needing info from year of 1788.

Brenda King Line (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2005 3:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi: My 5th greatgrandparents were John and Mary Green from Preston Co, WV. John was killed by indians as well as his son. His wife and two daughters held captive, and another daughter escaped capture. Is there any info I can obtain on this History. I believe the place where this all happened was called Green,s run. Thanks Brenda King Line

Re: John Green Family needing info from year of 1788.

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 1:11PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 5:10PM GMT
Surnames: Green(e) King Friend
Brenda, I don't know much about the GREEN(e) line but I know there is a connection of the GREEN(e) family line to the FRIEND family line (my line).

You can find some information here:
"History of Preston County, WV, (1882) Wiley" p. 220 -From the historical sketch -"An Historical Sketch of Preston County and its towns:- read by the Hon. William G. Brown, we extract very largely as follows:

p. 223
________
Do you know if Elizabeth's son, John KING married into the FRIEND line also?

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 5:06PM GMT
Pat: Thanks for the reply:

In answer to you Question about Elizabeth son. Here is the info I have. Son of Elizabeth Green King and unknown King.
John Green King born 1-28-1796 WV died 2-11-1861 married to Sarah Friend born 1798.Parents of Sarah is Joseph Friend born 1768 died after 1807 in Friendsville,MD. Joseph was married to Sarah Mary Green born abt 1777.

Children of John Green King And Sarah Friend:
Jesse King born 2-9-1818 New Creek, Mineral,WV died 1907 in WV. Jesse & Joseph are twins.

Joseph King 2-19-1818 New Creek, Mineral,WV.died 3-16-1901 in MD.

Isaac Johnson King born 6-10-1820 WV died 4-18-1898 Garrett Co, MD.

I have more info if you are intrested. Brenda King Line

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 8:47PM GMT
1860 census, Oakland, (Allegany Co. -now Garrett) Maryland. January 8, 1860
Oakland, Maryland Jan 8, 1860 Dist. No. 10
Joseph King, 42, (1818) laborer MD
Ingiby, 44, MD
looks like Thornton Gelpin 22, William, 21, Johnson, 18, Mary, 14, Charlotte 12, Alfred 10, Adeline 8, Ann Amelia 5, Ann 2, in same KING HH (all born MD)
All but Thornton Gelpin are children of Joseph KING?

John G. King, 64, (1796) farmer, VA
Jane,61, MD
Hester Ann, 25
James B., 23
Archibald C., 16
Mary B., 14
Sarah Colon King, 29
Mary Barnard, 56, (1804) MD
(Who is Sarah (looked like) Colon King and Mary Barnard?

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 10:54PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2006 12:53PM GMT
The Preston County Journal.
Kingwood, West Virginia
Thursday, May 12, 1892.
Vol. XXV--No. 35. Whole No. 1344.
Page 1, Column 7

MURDER OF THE GREENS.

AN ACCOUNT OF THE KILLING OF JOHN GREEN.

His Hired Man and Little Child by Indians--The Capture of Mrs. Green and Her Daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth--A Letter from the Hon. J. C. McGrew to Jesse Johnson, Esq.

Sometime about the year 1784 a man by the name of Green, with a wife and several children, located on what afterwards became known as "Green's Run," about one and a half miles from where Kingwood now stands, on land afterwards owned by Samuel R. Trowbridge, where he lived many years and where he died. The land at this date, 1892, is owned by John H. Brown.
Two or three years after Green made his settlement there, a number of Miami Indians from west of the Ohio river made an incursion into the neighborhood where Green and a few other white men had made a small settlement, the object of the Indians being, as tradition informs us, to kill one William Morgan, who had located south of Morgan's Run, near the present site of Kingwood, in revenge for their defeat sometime before by one James Morgan when they had attacked a young settlement at the mouth of Decker's Creek, where Morgantown now stands.
The tradition is that Morgan, in this fight, killed a number of Indians, and that he skinned one of them, tanned the skin, and made a "shot pouch" out of the leather. This coming to the knowledge of the Indians through white traders, and supposing that William Morgan was a kinsman of their enemy James Morgan, whom they feared again to attack, they determined to kill William Morgan.
The expedition sent for this purpose consisted of six Indian warriors of the Miami tribe. They crossed the Ohio river at the mouth of Fishing creek and passing up that stream and down Indian creek, crossed the Monongahela at or near the mouth of White Day, then traveled eastward evidently intending to strike the headwaters of Morgan's Run and follow that stream down to where William Morgan had located; but by mistake they fell upon the waters of Green's Run, and followed down that stream until they came to Green's cabin high up on the south bank, and closely resembling the location of William Morgan's cabin on the hill side south of Morgan's Run.
The morning the Indians came upon Green's place Green and his wife and children were in the cabin, but a hired man by the name of Lewis was splitting rails in the woods some distance from the house and had Green's rifle with him. The Indians approached him stealthily through the woods, shot and killed him, and then rushed upon the cabin where Green and his wife and children were. Having no defensive weapons, Green, after defending his family and himself as best he could, was soon overpowered and killed.
One of the children, a little girl, tried to escape by running, but was fired upon by one of the Indians and shot through one of her hands. The Indians supposing that she was dead, as she had fallen to the ground when shot, did her no further injury. She had sufficient presence of mind to lie still where she had fallen, and tradition is that as she fell she placed her wounded hand over her face, and that just as the Indians were leaving one of them walked up and looked at her, and seeing her face and head covered with blood left without scalping her. As soon as the Indians had taken their hasty departure she made her way to Cheat river opposite Butler's fort and was taken across the river and cared for by Thomas Butler. When she grew up to womanhood she married a man by the name of Friend.
The Indians took Mrs. Green and her two girls, Sarah and Elizabeth, prisoners and killed a younger child that they could not carry away conveniently in their hasty retreat beyond the Ohio river, which they crossed at the mouth of Fishing creek, now in Wetzel county, W. Va. I do not know how long Mrs. Green and her two daughters were prisoners with the Indians, but it must have been a number of years, and I presume up to 1794. After her liberation Mrs. Green married a man by the name of Moore and had by him a son and two daughters. Col. Moore, of Preston county was her grandson. Moore died leaving her a widow a second time, and she afterwards married a man by the name of Spurgin and had a daughter by him. She and her three husbands are buried on the Green farm not far from where Green and Lewis were killed. Her daughter Elizabeth Green was sold by the Indians to a man by the name of King, and her daughter Sarah Green was sold by the Indians to a man by the name of Sauerhaver. King and Sauerhaver were Indian traders and lived with the Indians.
After the defeat of the Miami Indians by General Wayne in 1794, King traded his wife to one of Wayne's soldiers by the name of Andrew Johnson, who brought her home and married her, and by her had several children who grew to be men and women, viz: Jessie, Isaac[,] William Green, Sarah and Rebecca. Therefore, Andrew Johnson was your grandfather and Elizabeth Green was your grandmother. I have seen them both; they were quite aged at the time, and were then living in the house in which Chas. C. Craig now lives.
Sauerhaver brought his wife Sarah back to this neighborhood at one time, sold her interest in her father's (the Green) farm, and returned to the Indians taking his wife with him.
Miss Spurgin and one of the Miss Moores married brothers by the name of Ruble, and the other Miss Moore married a man by the name of Trowbridge. J. C. McGREW.
TO MR. JESSE JOHNSON.
Kingwood, April 23, 1892.

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 2:38AM GMT
Roy : Thank you very much for the information on the Green Family. And Happy Holidays to you. Brenda

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 4:46AM GMT
Pat: John Green King was married 2 times his first marriage to Sarah Friend. Children: Jessie, Joseph, and Isaac Johnson King.

2nd marriage to Jane Barnette: Children: Elizabeth C.,Ellen, Hattie, James Bernard, Mary B., William E., Hester Ann, Archibal C,and Sarah C, King dont know her middle name .

Mary Barnard or Barnett dont know who she is , but it,s possible it could be Jane Barnette,s sister or some other relation to the family.

The Joseph King is the son of John Green King and Sarah Friend. Joseph,s wifes name is Ingiba White. Children: William, Johnson, Mary , Charolette, Alfred, Adeline, Ann Amelia, and Ann dont know who Thorton Gelpin is.

Isaac King also shows up on that census with wife Elizabeth Bernard and Children:George, Emanuel, Hester J, Hiram V, and Elizabeth. Brenda

Mike Monahan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2006 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Monahan; Green; Grimes
I have a Green connection to Preston County, per related posting:

Re: Monahan; Cumberland, MD/Wheeling, WV/Columbus, OH
Posted by: PAULA TEACOACH (ID *****8214) Date: April 18, 2002 at 15:24:32
In Reply to: Monahan; Cumberland, MD/Wheeling, WV/Columbus, OH by Michael Leo Monahan

My Gr Grandma was Bridget Monahan Born County Galway, Ireland.She married William Joseph Fitzpatrick in MD.
WE are related.Your Grandfather Leo Joseph Monahan wed Hulda Blatler 1926 in Whg,WV.They had 2 children Leo Thomas
Monahan(your dad)1april 1927 & Mary Magadine Monahan May1928-oct1928).Your GrGrandfather Thomas Francis Monahan
(10SEP1878--18may1925)wed Magadline Margaret Grimes.They had 10 children 2 died young there was a 1/2 sister Peggy
Burke,plus Leo1906Whg,Anthony1919Whg wed Burtha Burke,Laurence1823Whg--Francis,Thomas, Catherine wed ??Bellany,Mary.This is where you are a little mixed up.
Your GrGrGrandfather was Michael Patrick Monahan-I think he went by Patrick (jan1853-feb1907)was born in County Galway,
Ireland. He wed Elizabeth(Lizzie)Green born dec1854 Newbury
Preston County,Virginia---now WVa.They had 8 kids Patrick--
aug1876,Thomas Francis-10sep1878,John-july1888, Agnes-oct1881,Bedelia-sept1883,Michael-feb1889,Marixa-feb1892,
& Loretta-Mar1894. Michael Patrick Monahan's Parents (your GrGrGr Grandparents were Patrick(1805-bef1880)& Bridget(1804-aft1900)Monahan both born&Wed in County Galway,Ireland
They are burried Allegany County,MD.There children were Peter-abt1842,Owen-abt1843,John-march1852-1911, Michael Patrick-jan1853-feb1807,& Bridget Anne my GRGRGrandma all children were born in County Galway,Ireland.Two came to America with Patrick --Bridget stayed in Ireland because one of the kids was sick.She Emigrated in 1873 with others.

Sheila (Shrout) Chapman (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: King, Stalnaker, Yankie or Yankey, Davis, Shrout, Varner, Nestor, Shahan
Brenda, I am a descendant of John Green king and Sarah Friend. (on my mom's side, her maiden name is King) My great-great grandfather is Isaac King. I have a great deal of info also. Could we exchange info and see if we have the same or exchange new information with each other? I've been stuck on finding John Green King's father (other than being a trader) and am hoping to find any photos/stories, etc. througout the King line. Hope to hear from you soon! My email is sshrout@msn.com

Posted: 17 Feb 2006 10:37PM GMT
Brenda, thanks for the information, I was wondering if John Green King descended from the line of Green, who was writing about in the History of West Virginia by Wiley. From memory, I believe Elizabeth's father was killed by Indians.

Ann Amelia Lucinda King married John E. Thrasher. I descend from both the Friend line and the Thrasher line. My g, grandparents were Lafayette Friend, his wife was Susan Thrasher, sister of John E. Thrasher.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions