Search for content in message boards

Stansbury's of Ohio

Stansbury's of Ohio

Jennifer McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2000 8:34PM GMT
Seek the descendents of Marcus L. and Jenny (McDonald) Stansbury, who lived in Champaign or Logan Co., OH in th 1860's.
Posted: 12 Feb 2001 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2001 4:20PM GMT
Is your Marcus Stansbury a descendant of Isaac and Catherine Stansbury of Champaign County, Ohio circa 1810? If so, please email
me for more information. rverranfisher@aol.com

Stansbury's of Ohio

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 4:27PM GMT
I do not know I would have to research that a little. Champainge Co is correct. My guess is yes. It was his spouses family, the McDonald's I research and their descent from them that I am looking for. Please tell me more. Let's see wasn't it Jenny McDonald who married Marcus Stansbury. Let me grab my records. Look forward to hearing more from you. You have me scrambling.
Jen

Isaac Stansbury

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 6:04PM GMT
Isaac Stansbury was married in 1802 in Ross
County, Ohio, moved about 1806 to Champaign
county, Ohio where he died about 1815.
He was the son of Jeremiah Stansbury. I am
interested in his descendants. Have no
knowledge of the McDonalds. Bob.

Stansbury connection

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 6:34PM GMT
The McDonald's lived in Ross Co between 1800 and 1830. Margaret and Archibald's son Duncan McDonald married twice. The second marriage he had a daughter, Jenny. Jenny married Marcus L. Stansbury, it appears there is another generation between my Marcus and your Isaac. I don't have a marriage date, but the children from Duncan McDonald's first marriage it is said were born about 1831 and 1833. The others came later and the marriage later still. I have a letter written by Jennie in 1865. I will reread it and see if I garner any other data. I will bet they are connected. Possibly Isaac is the grandfather. I keep digging. It has taken me along time to get as much as I have. I need to go to Urbana and do some research there. It appears Duncan McDonald married his second wife, Ester Heylin in 1838. Jennie was still signing her name Jennie McDonald by 1866, the date of the letter. But on Duncan McDonald's obituary dated January 1890, Jennie is listed as Jennie Stansbury wife of Marcus L. Stansbury. I'm sorry this is all I have. It would be worth looking up Marcus's death certificate to see who his parents are listed as. They lived in Urbana and some other McDonald family lived in Logan Co. Land records of Duncan McDonald may give more information. Possibly his will. Tell me about your research and your line.
Posted: 13 Feb 2001 4:21AM GMT
Thanks for your interest. My line is Provolt
which is Isaac's wife Catherines maiden name.
I am writing a book on this family. Two of
Jeremiah Stansbury's children married into
the Provolt family and I want to include all
of their descendants, hence need information
on family of Issac Stansbury. After Isaac
died Catherine married Samuel Hathaway in
1816 in Champaign County, Ohio.

Stansbury connection

Posted: 13 Feb 2001 4:11PM GMT
Does your family live anywhere near Urbana today? I live in Ross Co. I have a book of Ross Co. marriages between 1799 and 1850. Is there a marriage I can look up for you? Yes, I see Isaac Stansery married Catherine Provolt March 11,1802 Vol.A Pg. 016 Ross Co. Archives. And.. .John Provolt married Jemima Stansbery that same day, March 11,1802
same Vol. A and Pg. 016. My Duncan McDonald was born about that time. One of these couples could be the grandparents of my Marcus. I need to make a run up to Urbana and check out the death cerificates and probate records.
Posted: 13 Feb 2001 4:28PM GMT
I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Our family left
Ohio way back in the early 1800s. I do have
the Ross County marriages thank you. Are
there any pre 1800 deeds available for Ross
County. I am looking for John and Anna Eva
Provolt, parents of John and Catherine. They
may be buried in Ross County. Thanks. Bob.

Deeds and other data

Posted: 13 Feb 2001 6:29PM GMT
Yes, Ross Co. has kept very good records, in good order. The land records go all the way back to the beginning in 1798. Chillicothe was settled in 1796. The first road was opened to a supply wagon in 1798. I can look up the records. There are also early probate records, say mid 1800,s. Births and deaths were not recorded until 1867, but wills are here and wives had to sign on land transactions of the husband or at least make her mark and be interviewed privately by a judge to determine that she was not signing against her will. There is most likely a sketch of these early settlers in the Ross Co. History records. The census records are available here and in 1850 the childrens names and ages were listed. The cemeteries here have been recorded by the genealogy society and if your family is buried here could likely be easily found in these records.

continued

Posted: 13 Feb 2001 6:30PM GMT
my email address is jennymcd@bright.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions