Search for content in message boards

Unreadable Place of Origin

Unreadable Place of Origin

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jun 2013 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Bearman
My great grandfather Samuel Bearman came through Ellis Isalnd either from Russia or Poland. The place of origin, were the town/city is supposed to located, is unreadable and the certificate says Yezki but that isn't a real place. Can anybody read the place of origin or the final destination? (the place of origin is on the right and the final destination is on the left)

This is the link to the manifest, line 11:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=04817...
Attachments:

Re: Unreadable Place of Origin

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 7:00AM GMT
The place of origin looks something like
WY?YSZKI
and the place he is going to looks like Centralia, Ill.

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 4:25PM GMT
Thanks, I typed in google wyiyszki and it corrected to Wycieczki. This is a real place in Poland, but does anybody have information why the manifest says Russia.

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 5:04PM GMT
I can't find any place in Poland called Wycieczki - when I search for it on google maps, the closest it comes up with a street name Wycieczka. If you put the word into a translator, it means "Tours" in Polish, which may be why a google search turns up a bunch of tourism and travel websites. It doesn't appear to be a town/city.

The ending of the word definitely sounds more Polish than Russian though.

I thought maybe it looked more like Uziyszki so I googled it and it spat back Szyszki, the name of a few places in Poland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szyszki_(disambiguation)

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 9:51PM GMT
For that answer, you'd need to dive into Russian and Polish history and boundary changes. Polish ancestors could have immigrated from Poland, Russia, Germany and several other spots, depending on the borders at the time.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 4:01AM GMT
I agree with the previous poster. Immigrants from Galicia and the Russian Pale might be listed as being from Poland, Austria or Russia at this time.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 11:15AM GMT
From 1795 to 1919 Poland did not exist as a national entity. It was divided between the three great European Empires, German, Russian and Austro-Hungarian. Whatever the ethnicity, language spoken etc., the inhabitants would be "German", "Russian" or "Austrian" and would have come from "Germany", "Russia" or "Austria". This place was obviously in "Russia". Google a map of Central Europe in the 19th century and you will probably find that your Wycieczki is where it has always been - national boundaries have changed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions