Search for content in message boards

Reviews of FTM 2 for Mac

Reviews of FTM 2 for Mac

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone prepared to offer a review yet? It sounds like both the PC and Mac versions were launched before they were ready. I am especially interested in those upgrading from FTM 1 for Mac.

Re: Reviews of FTM 2 for Mac

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 5:11AM GMT
I can give you a review...... but it isn't pretty.

I recently upgraded my FTMM to version 2. I have had nothing but trouble with it and it is unusable because of that trouble.

In the few days I have had this program it has crashed so many times that I cannot even count them. And, it uses a huge chunk of my RAM, typically about 450 MB, as well as most of the CPU. The computer's fan is constantly running when this app is open ....... I do mean, constantly, too! I had great hopes for this update, but it has been a huge disappointment to me. I have read of others having these same problems....... too many for it to be an isolated issue to my computer.

Also, I was disappointed to see that there is very little that has changed between version 1 and 2. Mostly it is the tree sync and being able to go full screen with Lion. Tree Sync is nice, I will admit. I uploaded my 9,000 people database with no issues. However, the media files have never completely uploaded. There is also a button available on the Family screen that enables you to view the current family as "blended" .....showing all the children belonging to both husband and/or wife. The interface appears to be exactly the same and I have seen no improvement in such Mac-like features as being able to select multiple people to link to a media item, as an example.

The charts and reports appear to be the same. The only difference I have seen so far is that, if you want a background image for your report, you won't see it in the Background popup menu as before. That now leads you to browsing for an image from a Backgrounds folder within the FamilyTree Maker folder.... the backgrounds are grouped by subject such as Outdoor, Pattern, etc.

As I said, there is very little that has changed. I was hoping for so much more and had prepared myself and my data to make the move to using FTMM2 rather than Reunion. But, now, between the performance issues I am experiencing and the fact that there is nothing to endear me to this program, I won't be using it..... I can't use it without it locking up on my computer (application not responding) which is exactly what it is doing at this moment. And BTW, I have uninstalled the app completely and reinstalled it but still have the same issues. I have also contacted Ancestry's tech support but haven't gotten a response from them yet.

I wish I could make a more positive report. But as of now, I feel I wasted my money by purchasing this upgrade and that Ancestry is pretty darn nervy to have released this before it was ready AND for calling it an upgrade with associated pricing for nothing much new.

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 6:17PM GMT
I was VERY new to FTM Mac before getting the upgrade to FTM 2 for Mac.

I downloaded 4 trees from Ancestry (max 1600 people each) and had no trouble. The media files followed onto FTM 2. I initially synced the trees, but do not want to use this feature as I am trying to figure out how to keep all the facts, info, stats, photos, etc. NOT obtained from Ancestry JUST on the FTM 2 and my Mac. In other words, if I have private photos, obits, stories, etc. I don't want them uploaded to Ancestry, but want to keep them on my Mac.

Apparently the only way to do this is to un-sync the trees and add the information manually. This is cumbersome. I intended to use Ancestry for obtaining data/sources and merging with the existing trees on my Mac, but based on recent posts, this does not seem to be a good idea (especially if not all the data/source material is actually merging).

I do not like the format of the FTM2 Mac software and much prefer reviewing data on the Ancestry site. I will continue to test the interface between the two with my smaller trees and will post any difficulties or positive outcomes.

I'd love to hear if/how others deal with keeping only certain information on your computer and using Ancestry for acquiring facts.

L-

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 5:01AM GMT
That is two very poor reviews. If I
Include the others that appear in these boards then FTM2 is not worthwhile.

Were the issues that you are currently listing an issue with FTM 1?

I have just started and only have 100 names in my tree. Will I have the same issues?

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 1:39PM GMT
gathompson,

I have FTMM-2, and had FTMM-1 and it works very well. I do not have any issues with it at all.

I can't say that I use it every day, as I am a PC user, but I will compare between FTM2012 and FTMM-2, as I have friends who use it.

The two versions are not exactly the same, but FTMM-2 is better then FTMM-1, performance, and the two new features, TreeSync™ and the Blended Family.

I think FTMM-2 IS worthwhile.

Only one User's opinion.

Russ

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 2:24PM GMT
gathompson

As with the Windows version experiences are different.

FTM 1 for Mac has memory management problems which cause all sorts of knock on problems. I have seem nothing to suggest that this problem has been solved in the latest version.

Whether you would experience any problems will depend on the size of your database. The larger it is, and the longer the program is run, the more likely problems are to appear.

I would not expect a database of 10,000 individuals or less to have problems with general running. I would not like to speculate on the sync feature.

Tony

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 2:55PM GMT
Russ and Tony:

I am a new user and only have 78 names in the tree so far. So do you suggest that these horrible experiences others are having with both the PC and Mac versions are driven by file size?

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 3:18PM GMT
gathompson

My own experience has been that FTM be it Windows or Mac is not happy with larger databases.

I have no experience of the sync feature which is the current prime discussion area for problems.

Tony

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 3:40PM GMT
gathompson,

People with good / great experiences with any problem don't post messages.

I have followed Tony's postings over time and his experience is not been the best, so please consider his response. AND had has a very large file.

My 9,000 person file, and other smaller files I have not issues with FTM2012 nor with FTMM-2.

Russ

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 5:46PM GMT
Russ, people may be less likely to post good experiences but....

FTMM1 generated a huge, huge number of negative posts and much criticism of Ancestry itself. If that were true of any software I had a "great" experience with, I guarantee that I would defend the application. I think that's true of a great many computer users and genealogists.

Where are all of the glowing reviews from bloggers and other sites? The average user might not take time to post, but it sure seems like bloggers, especially those who beta-tested, would be singing the praises of FTMM. Have you run across anything like that? Because it seems to me like the beta-testers have been rather quiet since release.

Sorry, but I'm an experienced computer user who anticipates working through glitches in initial versions of applications and I truly wanted FTMM to work for me. Since FTMM1 was published in 2010, Ancestry has ignored their customers' complaints, offered extremely poor tech support, and produced only one update on that piece of very flawed programming.

Most of us shelled out more money for FTMM2 (which I personally think should have been a free upgrade) because we WANT to believe. And now Lucy has yanked that football away once again. I'm glad you've had no problems with either version, but I think you're the exception.

If you can point me to any great reviews of FTMM, I'll gladly read them. For now, though, I think I'll return FTMM2 and stick with Reunion once and for all.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic