Search for content in message boards

Tracing The Devera Family

Tracing The Devera Family

Posted: 3 Nov 2008 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Devera
I have a genealogical mystery here that is perplexing and puzzling me to no end. I am of 3/4 Italian and 1/4 Czech decent and am in the process of planning my family tree. But it is incomplete because my maternal grandmother who may have been a Slavic Jew his a history surrounding her roots that's sketchy at best and has become difficult to trace.

Her obit lists Boonton, New Jersey as her birthplace and Deverra as her maiden name. But I'm betting the spelling is wrong and it's Devera with one r, since census records list a Devera family that fits the bill. But sometime between 1910 and 1920 my grandma and her two sisters were adopted by another couple without a trace of their birth parents.

Found a pic online of a man who may be my great grandpa, Jacob Devera, who with wife Mary seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth sometime before Devera daughters were adopted. Has anybody got info on Devara family roots from NJ? I'm at my wit's end with this and fear that I may be on the verge of uncovering a family secret.

Re: Tracing The Devera Family

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 7:56PM GMT
devera Name Meaning and History
Spanish: topographic name for someone ‘from (de) an area of fertile land between a river and an upland (vera)’.

few more items under google search .......
try familysearch.org also + jewishgen.org

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 4:16PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2014 4:17PM GMT
I may be able to help if you still need info. Work in local church and have access to records. I realize it has been a long time since you posted and may already have the information.

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 6:18PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2014 10:10PM GMT
Actually, I finally solved it. I went through the Slovakian Genealogy Research which had a direct link to the Mormon Family Search site...and there it was in the birth records. My Great Grandfather Jacob Devera was a Jew from Eastern Slovakia. This was hidden in my family tree. And now I'm going to write a book about it.

Posted: 19 Apr 2014 7:06PM GMT
let us know the tite when you publish as it should be an interesting read. good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions