Search for content in message boards

James Hamilton Martin & John Sampson Martin

James Hamilton Martin & John Sampson Martin

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Nichols
PLease contact me at SuRob7600@aol.com with info regarding the ancestry of James Hamilton Martin b.1810, Edgefield county, SC, died 2 Nov 1872, Belair, Richmond county, GA. Married Caroline Betsell Nichols 4 Jan 1840 Augusta, GA. Children were Thomas, John Sampson (my g grfather - b. 2 Oct 1840, Belair, GA m. Adele Harriett Torlay 9 Nov 1869),Anna Elizabeth, Angeline, Charles Edward, Ella Sis, & William Henry. Thank you so much. Susan Robbins

Re: James Hamilton Martin & John Sampson Martin

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 2:52AM GMT
My name is Ken Martin, My father was Charles K Martin and his father was Josh Beal Martin of Ellis Street
. I have research my father did with all of the articles from the News Paper regarding the Murder of James Hamilton Martin. He was Killed by a former slave he had hired to chop wood for him. He was killed on the drive home. He was beaten with a wagon trungon and robbed. The killer escaped back into Augusta. He was captured, tried and was hung in Augusta.
If you would like a transcript of all of the transcripts let me know and I can email you a copy. I just got a load of the work dad did and will be going through it.

Thanks - Ken

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 8:20PM GMT
Thanks, Ken,

I am from Augusta, GA so I have all the articles on JH's murder & subsequent trial. My cousin & I have hit a dead end in researching JH's parents. There is nothing. You do know "at age 10 he was banished from Edgefield County, SC for killing a powerful man who had invaded his mother's home." We believe his mom was Mary Martin - don't know a maiden name. We've been to the courthouse in Edgefield & I have asked fellow DAR members if they know anything. we can find nothing on bis parents. There is no court record of what happened. Send me your email address. We erected a headstone naming all the Martins buried in the MArtin family Cemetery (all grown over and practically in ruins)- I can send you a copy of the pics. My email is surob7600@aol.com Susan R. Robbins

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 9:23PM GMT
Thanks,
My email address is kenmartin77@hotmail.com - I have a document with a post it from my father to my son and it states - "This is one of your 4th Great grandfathers. The Name at the top of the page lists Thomas Madox. There is a reference to a James Hamilton but I am not sure how this all fits together. I will be happy to scan what I have and send it to you. My understanding is that JHM was killed in 1872 so I can not get the dates to line up or the sir names. James Hamilton is given as the family name Maddox and was married first to Orlena Tharp. When she passed away he married her sister Mary. Dad stuff seems to dead end with James Hamilton Martin. Again, it shows Maddox in another document. Could there have been a name change along the way. More than happy to share what I have. Tnx
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions