Search for content in message boards

John Banks Jr

John Banks Jr

Posted: 2 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Markham, Steel, Padgett, Martin, Taylor, Hill, Hollingsworth
Copyright February 2001, Robert W. Scott, Lake Hiawatha, N.J
(This is a repost of a bio lost with the switch of RootsWeb servers)

John Banks Jr., a farmer and possibly a Revolutionary War Soldier, was among the group of families who moved into Stokes County from Virginia in the 1790s. He is presumed to be a son of John Banks Sr. (listed as a John Senior on a deed in Stokes County), who was to follow him from Franklin County, Va., into Stokes County. John married Agnes Markham, daughter of Thomas Markham, on December 19, 1789 in Franklin County. JohnÂ’s brother Samuel Banks married Elizabeth Markham on April 3, 1786 in Franklin County. The relationship of the two women is not known. JohnÂ’s birth date is not known, but the marriage date suggests that it is roughly 1769.

There is circumstantial evidence pointing to a role in the Revolution. A biographical sketch of Absolom Banks, son of Squire Banks, who was probably JohnÂ’s son, states that SquireÂ’s father served in the Revolution. Unfortunately, the grandfatherÂ’s name is not given. Revolutionary War records show that a John Banks served in the North Carolina Light Dragoons, Capt. Cosmo MediciÂ’s Third Troop. He was paid eight and a third dollars per month as a private from October 1777 to May 1778.

John and Samuel Banks moved to Stokes County by 1790 when both are listed in the census. Their father would join them in 1794. John Jr. was taxed for 50 acres in Stokes Co. He is probably the John Banks who purchased 50 acres on Beaver Island Creek on Dec. 4, 1801 from John Vawter. Somehow, when Aggy Banks was taxed in 1808, that amount had grown to 125 acres, but deeds cannot be found for the entire 125 acres. His will has sparse information. John names his wife, Aggy, and leaves the rest of estate to be "divided equally among my surviving children." Samuel Banks was a witness. The will was proved Sept. 6, 1808.

The names of at least some of his children are indicated by two deeds in Stokes Co. in 1830, probably executed as members of the family prepared to move to Indiana. In one deed, Charles Banks, Daniel Hollingsworth, and Joseph Martin, legatees of John Banks deeded their interest to Andrew Steel. In a second deed, William Padget, Carter Banks, and Stephen Banks, legatees of John Banks deceased, deeded 50 acres on a branch of Snow Creek to Steel on July 8, 1830.

Most of the Banks would leave Stokes County. JohnÂ’s brother Samuel Banks moved to Harrison County, Ind., by 1820 and then to Jackson County by 1830. He would be joined there by Hennis Banks, another presumed brother. Most of the children of John Banks Jr. moved to Jefferson County, Ind. about 1833, with some moving on to Jackson County. Election records in Jefferson County show that Stephen, Squire and Carter Banks voted in elections in Milton Twp. on 1 Aug. 1836 and again on the first Monday in April 1837. Elizabeth Banks Martin and Carter Banks died in Jefferson County, while Stephen moved to Jackson and Charles and Squire both settled in Jennings.

FAMILY OF JOHN BANKS JR. AND AGNES MARKHAM
1. Beutha Ruth Banks born 1789/90 She married on November 17, 1810 in Stokes Co., Andrew Steel. They lived 1850 in Stokes Co.
2. Rachel Banks She married on September 10, 1808 in Stokes Co., William Padgett.
3. Stephen Banks ca. 1800-1840/50, He is listed in the 1820 and 1830 Stokes County censuses. He voted at an election the first Monday of April 1837 in Milton Twp., Jefferson Co., then is listed in the 1840 Jackson Co., Ind., census.
4. Carter Banks died ca. 1844 in Jefferson Co. A descendant listed his name as Amos Carter Banks. He married Amelia Martin May 6, 1803-June 4, 1881. She was born in Stokes Co., died at Matfield Green, Chase Co., Kan. Supposedly her maiden name is given on her tombstone. Carter is listed in Stokes County in 1830. He voted in Jefferson County in 1837 and died there. His widow married John Lochard on January 12, 1845.
5. Charles Banks, born 1806/07 (age 43 1850) He is probably the Charles who married on October 17, 1838 in Jefferson Co., Charlotte Taylor. They may not have had children. She successfully sued him for divorce claiming he threatened her. He apparently married 2nd Elizabeth, maiden name unknown. He lived 1840 Jefferson Co. He lived 1850 Geneva Twp. Jennings Co., apparently with a 2nd wife.
6. Elizabeth Banks ca. 1807-1844 She married Joseph Martin ca. 1804-1896. She died in Jefferson Co., according to biographical sketch of son, Pleasant Martin, in a history of Knox Co., which gives her death date. Joseph lived 1850 in Milton Twp., Jefferson Co. 1860 in Jackson Co. By 1870, he had moved to Knox County.
7. Squire Banks ca 1807-1882 (possibly a posthumous son)He married on January 5, 1830 in Stokes Co., Elizabeth Hill. His age is problematical because he is listed as 39 in the 1850 census (too young to be part of this family), but 52 in the 1860 census. (Born 1807/08 and old enough to be JohnÂ’s last child.) Squire is not proven as a son. Squire is then listed 1830 in Stokes Co. in his own household and on the same page as Carter Banks. The name certainly suggests a close relationship with Squire Martin, son of Joseph Martin, and Elizabeth Banks. Also Thomas Markham, who married 1800 in Stokes Co., possibly a brother to Agnes, had a son Squire Markham, and there was a Squire Markham who was possibly brother to Agnes and Thomas.
Squire Banks voted in an election in Milton Twp. the first Monday of 1837 (on the same poll list as Stephen and Carter Banks.) He is listed in the 1840 Milton Twp. census and voted there in an election held there on Nov. 7, 1840 in Milton Township. In 1846, he moved to Jennings Co., Ind., He moved then to Henry Co., Ky., then back to Jennings Co. where they lived in the 1860 census, then to Iowa.
8. William Banks 1803/05-April 18, 1883 Born in North Carolina. William is not proven as a son, but he would seem to account for the male remaining in Agnes Banks household in 1830. He married on August 15, 1838 in Jefferson Co., Nancy Hollingsworth. William is listed 1840 in the Jefferson Co. census. His death was recorded by Squire Martin, presumably his nephew, among a list of deaths kept by Martin in the leaves of an old book.
9.Daughter Banks married Daniel Hollingsworth. Daniel is listed in the 1830 census of Stokes Co. on page 275, immediately before Andrew Steel, who is followed by Squire Banks and after two households, Carter Banks.

Re: John Banks Jr

Posted: 20 Apr 2002 6:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Sep 2003 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Banks, Squire
Hi
I noticed your note about Squire Banks, John Banks etc. I am a descendent of Squire Banks through his daughter Emma who married my GGgrandfather, Charles W. Aubert whose son Marshall Marion Aubert's son, Oren Aubert had my mother, Irene Elizabeth Aubert.
I live in Des Moines, IA and Squire Banks, wife and some children are buried about ten miles south of here in Webb Cemetery which is located in old Green Bush, Ft. Plain, Spring Hill, Warren Co, IA - a spot in the road.
I quote some of the notes I have accumulated and collected over the years for information purposes. I have never been able to locate any information on Squire's ancestry since by the time I was born, of course he and most of his descendents had died.
Quote:
In the Warren County Death register, his birthplace is listed as Indiana i/o NC. However in the 1870 Iowa Census, Vol 136, page 899, his age is listed as 66 which would make his birth year Abt 1804 and pob as NC. The NC pob seems to prevail.

In the 1850 Indiana Census, Geneva Twsp, Jennings Co, his age is listed as 39 years which would also make his birth date Abt 1810 and his pob is also listed as NC.

However his age is listed in the WCDR as 64 yrs 10 mos 4 days which would make birth apx 24 Feb 1816

On tombstone, date listed as 70 y 2m 26 d which give birth date of 29 Sep 1810, although is listed about ten different dates in ten different census records.

Green Bush, Warren, IA was settled around 1845. The post office ran from 1850-1854 when Spring Hill was started by Dr Bevington who was implemental in building the railroad between Summerset, Warren, IA through Spring Hill, on to Bevington, Martensdale and then to Winterset, Madison, IA.

Green Bush was then renamed Ft. Plain and seemingly everyone abandoned former Green Bush and moved to Spring Hill.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions