Search for content in message boards

looking for relatives/family of John Daniel Pratt

looking for relatives/family of John Daniel Pratt

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 11:22PM GMT
Classification: Query

I am Andy from the Netherlands.
My boys and I we adopted 5 graves of soldiers who died in ww2.
We take care of their graves and go there every week to bring flowers etc.
I started a website www.remember-our-heroes.nl its also in English, about these boys, they were all crew members of a B-17, and my interest was getting bigger and bigger, now I am writing or try to write a story of all the boys they flew with and also unfortunately, died.

I am looking for a picture or any contact with people who can tell me about :

- John Daniel Pratt, 1923 - 1944, 2nd Lt, 0-748784, Lewiston

It would be great to find something, a story, photo etc.
These boys are falling BUT, should never be forgotten, thats my aim

Thank you
Andy

Re: looking for relatives/family of John Daniel Pratt

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 4:21AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Pratt
Hi Andy,

First, thank you for what you are doing to honor and remember our fallen heroes. As the daughter, granddaughter, wife, niece, sister, and aunt of U.S. Veterans, your dedication to these men's memories, moves me deeply.

This is a link to a certificate for John Daniel Pratt:

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/wardept/pframe.asp?Hono...

At that site, you can search by name, perhaps you'll find something on your other four veterans.

I will see what else I can find on Mr. Pratt and will be in touch with you. Do you have a specific date that he died in 1944? I would like to search the microfilm of the Lewiston Tribune to see what they carried about his death/service.

Best regards~~
Jill
Twin Rivers Genealogy Society
Lewiston, Nez Perce Co., Idaho

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:21PM GMT
This link (you need to copy and paste it) on the WWII registry gives date of death and a bit more information than the certificate.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/mia/search/pframe.asp?H...

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 3:09PM GMT
Thats great Jill, thank you
Yes he died on Apr 9, 1944.
His plane crashed in the Baltic sea...

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 2:37AM GMT
Thanks.

I found him and his family in the 1930 and 1940 censuses and his parents in the 1900-1920 censuses. I don't know if you'd be interested in seeing any of those documents or not? I'm going to Lewiston tomorrow and will see if I can find anything on the old microfilm copies of the newspaper. If it's still standing, would you like a picture of the house in which he lived in 1940? I have the address (it was on the 1940 census.)

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 8:07AM GMT
Wow, if you would do that for me, that would be very great.
Thank you very much

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 1:58PM GMT
Thank you!

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 1:03AM GMT
Hi,

I found the house and took a couple of photos. Beautifully restored to the 1920s Craftsman style. I knocked on the door but there was no answer. I was curious if the owner knew anything about the Pratt family.

Next I went to Lewis-Clark State College and spent almost 4 hours looking at microfilm of the The Lewiston Morning Tribune. After 2 hours I finally found mention of John D. Pratt when the newspaper picked up that he had earned an award. The date it ran was 4/10/1944, the day after John had been shot down, but of course, no one "back home" knew that. The next mention was a couple of weeks later that he was missing after a mission, and then two days later it ran a picture of John and two others who were officially declared missing. I searched through June 15, 1944 but found nothing else. The library was getting ready to close and my eyes were getting tired so I quit for the day. I'll go back next week and look some more. I couldn't get a decent print of any of the articles; the regular microfilm printers are broken but should be fixed next week. I'm hoping to get good copies of the articles to send to you.

One of the articles mentioned that John's older brother, Phil Jr., was also in the Army. I just searched his name at the National WWII Memorial and found that Phil was killed on August 23, 1944 and is buried in France...within four months the parents had lost their only sons....how very sad! Here is a link to Phil's memorial:

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/cemetery/search/pframe....

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 2:56PM GMT
I already send you a email, but also here i want to thank you very very very much for what you are doing.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 5:17PM GMT
You're very welcome; I am honored to have been able to help.

I wish to send a very heartfelt "Thank you" to you and your sons for honoring these American heroes by remembering them weekly with flowers and the creation of your website.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions