Search for content in message boards

Help on gravesite William Johnson d. 1830 Hollis Maine

Help on gravesite William Johnson d. 1830 Hollis Maine

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson
I am looking for the grave of William Johnson and his wife Desire Johnson probably in Hollis Maine, as William died there April 10, 1830. William Johnson was a Revolutionary War pensioner, and came from Limington sometime previous to June 1820 when he made a declaration for his pension at Hollis. I would be willing to pay someone to look for his gravesite and that of Desire Johnson, and to provide a photo if possible.

Re: Help on gravesite William Johnson d. 1830 Hollis Maine

Posted: 2 Aug 2009 10:49AM GMT
Hi Madeline,
I would suggest trying to find the following book in a library near you or through inter library loan (purchase would be expensive, I think):
Maine cemetery inscriptions. York County
Author: Maine Old Cemetery Association.
Publisher: Camden, Me. : Picton Press, ©1995.
Series: Maine Old Cemetery Association special publication, no. 1

This book series is a really great resource; it helped me find a tiny little burial ground off Rte. 112 in Buxton in the back corner of a private farm.

The area of Maine you are searching in for burials in that time frame could make your search more difficult. From experience I have learned that many burials took place on small family plots and in some cases private land, and have become overgrown with trees and in some cases the little cemeteries are almost completely hidden by forest. Not to say it's impossible to find a grave there, but the locals might be the best way to go...
You could try writing to or calling:
Buxton - Hollis Historical Society
Box 34, Buxton, ME 04093
(207) 727-3131‎

They are probably open more often in summer than other months; and weekends more so than weekdays.
There is also a Limington Historical Society:
http://www.limingtonhistory.org/

If your ancestor was a Rev. War pensioner, there may be further information on him withing their holdings at Limington His. Soc.

Good luck,
Lisa

Posted: 2 Aug 2009 1:51PM GMT
Thank you Lisa. I hadn't thought about the fact that he may be buried in some small graveyard. I knew about the Maine Old Cemetery Association, but I was hoping for a photo of the gravestone if there is one. But, obviously it would help if I could locate where he was buried first (then maybe I can find someone to take a picture). I will contact the Buxton-Hollis Historical Society to see if they have anything. William Johnson was a Rev. War pensioner, but is not listed as far as I can tell in any listing of graves of Rev. War soldiers...which may mean that his grave is either 1) in a very small, private cemetery as you suggested, or 2) in an un-marked grave, meaning I can not locate it.

Thanks again.

Posted: 2 Aug 2009 10:27PM GMT
Well, let me know how you make out. I'd be curious to see how it turns out since I've become kind of familiar with the area.
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Lisa

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 12:32AM GMT
Hi Lisa,

Just an update...

I decided to purchase the MOCA series for York County cemeteries to see if I could find William Johnson's grave. He is not listed in any of the cemeteries they transcribed in York County. Re-reading the History of Limington, it appears that there is, or was, a Johnson Cemetery there and I suspect he most likely is buried in this Johnson Cemetery in Limington...which was not part of those that MOCA transcribed. I have written the Limington Historical Society to see if they know of anyone that could look in that cemetery for me, but have gotten no response thus far. If I do not hear from them, I may try the Limington town clerk. Need me to look for anyone in the York County MOCA CD?

Lindy

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:35PM GMT
Dayton was part of Hollis until 1854; it is possible that your ancestor is actually buried in what is now the Town of Dayton instead of Hollis, as he died prior to its incorporation as a separate town.

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 1:14PM GMT
Thank you for the tip, I will check Dayton. Besides checking the database on York County cemeteries (which I would have to check again to see what cemeteries from Dayton are included)I still have not located William Johnson's grave. I am beginning to think he must have been buried in an un-marked grave in the Johnson Cemetery in Limington.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions