Search for content in message boards

Joseph and Charlotte (Blaisdell) Buzzell children

Joseph and Charlotte (Blaisdell) Buzzell children

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buzzell, Blaisdell,Colby
I am trying to verify one of the children of Joseph and Charlotte. I have a Mehetable Buzzell b. 1817 and d. 25 Oct 1864 in Waterbury Center, Vt. She was married to Newell Staniels Colby abt. 1840. If I have the correct Mehitable I would like to find her siblings names and if they moved to Vermont also. There are several BUZZELL family listed around the Waterbury, Vt. area. I have seen a message board that has some information on Mehitable and would like to correspond and see what info they can provide.
Her name is Sally Furber Nelson in Maine.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Susan Audy
White River Jct., Vt.

Re: Joseph and Charlotte (Blaisdell) Buzzell children

Posted: 24 May 2012 11:06PM GMT
I don't have all the answers, but it seems that you do have the correct Mehitable. 23 Jul 1817 (Canaan, ME) -25 Oct 1864 (Stowe, VT- buried in Waterbury, VT). I have been to the cemeteries in Maine where several of the siblings are buried and I have found no trace of her being there.

NS Colby was born in Waterbury. It seems they married and returned to his hometown. It would be the Colby family that have the dense population in VT, not Buzzells.

To the best of my knowledge, the rest of her family remained in Maine. Father, Joseph, lived his entire life in Canaan, ME and Charlotte's family comes from York, ME. This may be where the confusion lies, in terms of birthplace. Many times, births in York were recorded as NH.

The siblings, as I have them, are: Mary, Mehitable, Joseph, Elijah, Angeline, Nathaniel, and Harriet. I don't have too much information on all of these people, but I do have more in-depth information on Joseph, of whom I descend.

Ancestry, FamilySearch, and NEHGS don't have much information this line of Buzzells. Many of the recordings in rural Maine have been lost. The Buzzell family was not Catholic, so the Church doesn't have record either. Hope this was some help. It may have created more questions than answers.

Posted: 24 May 2012 11:17PM GMT
Also, do you have any more information on Joseph's family, going further back?

Posted: 25 May 2012 3:34AM GMT
I believe the Buzzell's that were in Waterbury, Vt were
related to Mehitable. I met Frederick Wood at the
Waterbury Historical Society a few years back and he
had some photo's that were from a Buzzell reunion that
had Ai Newell Colby in the picture, son of Newell and
Mehitable (Buzzell) Colby. There was a George Buzzell listed in the 1870 Waterbury, Vt census. He was born 1847
in Maine.

Posted: 30 May 2012 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Colby, Buzzell
Would you have any ideas on why Newell Staniels Colby moved to a Shaker community in Poland, ME after Mehitable died? He appears on the 1880 census, then is back in Vermont in 1900 where he dies.

Posted: 30 May 2012 10:22PM GMT
I have been asked that from some others but don't really know. His parents Daniel Colby and Sally Batchelder were married in NH and His parents Daniel Colby and Sarah Trussell lived in Enfield, NH. After Daniels father died in 1815 he moved to Waterbury, Vt and his mother came to live with him and his family until she d. She is buried in the Waterbury Center Cemetery in Waterbury Center, Vt. You can see pictures of those stones on the findagrave site.
Enfield, NH had a Shaker community and still does today, so
maybe after Mehitable's death and with some of his children dying young he wanted to go back where her family was in Maine.
Maybe some of Mehitable's direct family line might have some answers on that part of the history. I know that he died in Morrisville, Vt. in 1900 and was living with his
daughter Fannie (Colby) Hunt. Fannie is buried in Wheeler
Cemetery in Morrisville, Vt. She had one child that died at birth. There is a stone for the baby next to Fannie and her husbands stone.

Susan...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions