Search for content in message boards

Town,or village, of Lick Skillet, Mo. Putnam township

Town,or village, of Lick Skillet, Mo. Putnam township

Ed Jenkins (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2002 11:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jenkins, Clark, Westfall
Would be interested in hearing from anyone who might have
information on a village (early 1900's) called Lick Skillet.
Thanks for your help. Ed Jenkins

Re: Town,or village, of Lick Skillet, Mo. Putnam township

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2005 1:28AM GMT
Lick Skillet was a small village located on the I & St L railroad In Putnam County north of Worthington, and south of Livonia, where they loaded coal out from local mines. It was also on the Chariton river and at the foot of a place locally known as Sally's Mountain. It has been gone a long time, there is nothing left there to tell even where it was at.

John Sparks (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2002 4:34AM GMT
The actual name of the town was Mapleton. I don't know how it got the name of Lick Skillet. It predated the railroad by several years, but I am not sure how many. It had a post office from 1891 till 1909. The I & St.L. (for Iowa and St. Louis) railroad ran, I think, from Sedan, Iowa to Elmer, Missouri. It lasted roughly from about 1900 to 1936 and went along the Chariton River. It contributed to the economy of the towns along it including Lick Skillet. When the railroad went out, the town was not far behind.

lewellen (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2003 6:34PM GMT
Lick Skillet does exist, there are about three houses still there. There is also a sign outside the "town". Not sure who lives there, but the county court house could tell you.

Ed Jenkins (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2003 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Westfall, Jenkins
Thanks for your message. This Lick Skillet, is it in Randolph
County in Missouri, or nearby? My grandfather, Valentine
Clark lived there around 1900, 1910, according to a lady in
Moberly who lived nearby as a child. Or was it another
rural area where they were some houses in Randolph County, and they called it Lick Skillet. A strange name!
Thanks. Ed Jenkins

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: ROSE, OF GRAYSVILLE MO.
MY GRANDFATHER TOBE , AND MAUDE ROSE SMITH USED TO TELL STORIES ABOUT LICK SKILLET, FOR THEY WERE FROM GRAYSVILLE, MO., BUT HE WORKED IN A COAL MINE AAROUND LICK SKILLET. THEY WERE ALL FROM THAT AREA OF GRAYSVILLE, MO. THE ROSE CEMENTARY IS STILL THERE, BUT ITS HARD TO GET ANY INFROMATION ON IT.I KNOW THAT I HAVE QUITE A FEW RELATIVES BURIED THERE.IWAS BORN IN KIRKSVILLE, MO. IN 1935, MY FATHER WAS , OR BECAME A DOCTOR IN KIRKSVILLE, IN FACT HE WAS PRACTISING IN UNIONVILLE WHEN HE DIED.ROSE

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 5:28AM GMT
Randolph County is 60-80 miles south. (it's the county south of Macon County, and Macon County is south of Adair County).

Most communities with a degrading nickname such as Lick Skillet is usually referring to the hard-scrable times and economy of the area -- i.e. times were so tough, you had to "lick the skillet" to get enough to eat. =)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions