Search for content in message boards

Samuel Shackford Revolutionary War Sanford

Samuel Shackford Revolutionary War Sanford

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for anyone who might have info on the above and where he might be buried in Sanford. One source says Mouse Lane and another says Kennebunk Road. Thanks for any info.

Re: Samuel Shackford Revolutionary War Sanford

Posted: 1 Sep 2009 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: Shackford, Day
Samuel Shackford is buried in a small family cemetery on what is now called the New Dam Rd. in Sanford. It was known as Mouse Lane many years ago.

His gravestone is worn and damaged to the point that it is unreadable. Over the past several years, I have been making sure a flag is placed on his grave.

His wife, Charity (d: Sept 3, 1842 AE: 65y 7m 13d) is buried there, as well.

The only other grave in the cemetery is Mehitable Shackford, wife of Christopher Shackford. She died on April 20, 1852, AE: 44y.

According to "Early Families of Sanford-Springvale, Maine" by Frederick R. Boyle, Samuel was born in 1761 (he makes reference to "Maine Soldiers" p. 703) and served in the Revolution from Wells, ME. He died in 1844.

Apparently, Samuel Shackford had a wife prior to Charity. She was Eunice Day, a daughter of Hilton Day of Wells, ME. Several Days settled on what is now the New Dam Rd, as well.

The cemetery is near the road and is surrounded by a white, wooden fence. It is immediately south of Lavalley Lumber.

I hope this information helps.

John White,

Springvale, ME

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 1:00AM GMT
I'm also researching this Samuel Shackford. I'm on Google maps and Google Earth trying to find the Dam Road cemetery. I found the LaValley Lumber on Coleco Road and am trying to look south of it on the maps but can't find anything that looks like a cemetery yet. Wondering if you have any more help so I can find it on the map. THANKS very much.

Joanne Shackford Parkes

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 1:15AM GMT
LaValley Lumber is actually no longer in business. The one you were looking at is in Springvale. They had another location at 563 New Dam Rd, Sanford and is now owned by Deering Lumber. The Shackford Cemetery is just south of the lumber yard on the same side. It will not be visible on Google Earth as it sits under large pine trees. It is easily seen from the road and is surrounded by a wooden fence.

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: SHACKFORD
Thanks for responding so quickly! The Find A Grave posting by Bill Pashal and Paul Robie mentions that the gravestone with a fence at the end of the 2nd Fairfield Street which is shaped like a U, The FindAGrave posting has both a great photograph of the gravestone and of the fence around it. I wanted to mark the gravestone location on my GoogleEarth so was wondering if I'm correct in the location of the end of that 2nd Fairfield St.

I'm trying to connect Samuel to other Shackfords and those in the Alfred area - do you know any details of his life?

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 7:08PM GMT
It is close to the southern part of Fairview Drive, which is a horseshoe that intersects New Dam Rd in two places. Fairview Drive is on the opposite side of New Dam Rd.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic