Search for content in message boards

James McGee

James McGee

Posted: 10 Dec 2001 4:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information regarding James McGee, who was an officer (at least according to family oral history) in the Confederate Army in Texas. He had four children- John Henry, born in Center, Tx; Marshall, birthplace unknown; Lottie, born in Comanche, Tx. and married someone w/ last name of Walden; and Eva McGee, born in Sweetwater, Tx. and married a Davis. I am the grandson of John Henry; my father was Prentice Odell. His brothers were John Henry, Conroe Clifton and Elmo Virgil. Sisters: Sylvester and Zella. (What a godawful bunch of names)

Re: James McGee & Marshall

Marsha McGee Bowen (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2001 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Tyler, Helm, Flowers
Hi,
I saw your last post and had a giggle at the last line. Although I do not recognize the people or places you mentioned, I am curious about the name Marshall. My McGee's came from Ireland (Scots Irish) to VA c. 1750. My Samuel was born in the 1850's as far as I can tell. He married Martha Stafford, fathered Stafford McGee in Kentucky. Stafford moved to St. Louis and begat Thomas Stith McGee...plus many other children with many other wives in St. Louis and in Jackson County (Kansas City area). My Thomas was b. 1820, MO and lived in Franklin County, MO all his life. His son, William T. McGee named one of his sons John Marshall McGee. I know John Marshall was a popular name but I haven't met a McGee yet with the name Marshall. It has come down thru the family since. Were your people ever in Kentucky or Missouri before going to Texas? Hoped for a connection but probably a long shot.
Marsha McGee Bowen

Re: James McGee

Posted: 11 Dec 2001 1:11PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2003 12:14PM GMT
A Mary E. McGee received a pension (CSA) as widow of
James Newton McGee, Wood Co. TX.
Could this be yours? It is the only James McGee listed.

Posted: 11 Dec 2001 3:34PM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2002 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Cope, Gilbert
I have a John Henry McGee in the Wood Co., TX area who was a doctor in the Civil War. He named a son George Newton. Could this James Newton have been a brother of my John Henry? He was my gr-gr-grandfather. Nancy

Posted: 12 Dec 2001 9:56AM GMT
Sorry, I have no other information on this James.
You can order his records from the State of Texas.

sharon mcgee (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2001 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: McGee

I have info on McGees in Texas. My ancestor James McGee was in the Civil War. Please email me and we can compare info.

Kathy McGee (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2002 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: McGee
In Texas,
Do you have a James W McGee

Do you have an info on a Mary E Taylor or any Simms?

Gary McGhee (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2004 9:22PM GMT
Surnames: McGee, McGhee
My grandfather was John Henry McGhee (1867 - 1919) of Wood County Texas, the son of Newton John McGhee (A.K.A. James). John Henry was the only surviving child of Newton. Newton John (James) did served in the civil war as a private in the Missouri 16th Infantry, Parsons Brigade. He came to Wood County after the Confederate surrender and married Mary Elvira Banks, my great grandmother. However, my grandfather was a farmer, not a doctor. I do remember reading that there was a John Henry in Wood County who was a doctor.

Re: James McGee & Marshall

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 9:08PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2005 5:21PM GMT
Playing catch-up and saw your post, Marsha. Maybe you have the answer by now, but you know the name "Marshal(l)" could have come from his cousin in the Rhoda McGee Owen line. One of her daughters married into that surname. Look at her obit.

Re: McGee & Marshall

Posted: 25 Nov 2008 11:00PM GMT
Surnames: McGee, Tyler, Helm, Flowers, Ferguson, Gooch, etc.
I know I am about 4 years late with my response but I wanted to thank you for your info regarding the Marshal name through the McGee's. Rhoda (nee McGee)Owen was a sister of my ggggranfather, Stafford McGee b. 1796, daughter of my Samuel b.c. 1760 and aunt to my Thomas Stith McGee, b. 1820 MO. I had found lots of info on Rhoda and her husband and found the Marshal surname. Since she lived out her life in Kentucky and my line came to MO at least by 1818 I wasn't quite sure that the Marshal line from Rhoda would have shown up. Perhaps they did stay in touch but the Marshal in my line didn't show up until 1880 with Eugene Marshal McGee who was always called Marshal. Thank you so much for your info and sorry so late to respond. Any other ideas? Marsha McGee Bowen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions