Sargents, Clicks, Rakes, Deharts, etc

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 12:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any info on these families. softball60@comcast.net

Re: Sargents, Clicks, Rakes, Deharts, etc

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 9:20AM GMT
Surnames: Click Gluck Glick Klick
I can tell you a lot about the Clicks. What are you looking to know?

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 5:42PM GMT
I am looking for John Click died c 1839 md to Mary. Children Jacob and James.
James md Alethia and had the following children that I know of:
Sarah c 1857
John c 1859
Anna c 1861
Elisa c 1863
Amanda 1870 md Henry Booman

Jacob Click (my gr gr grandfather) 1832-before 1900 md Julie Ann Brown. Had the following children
Anna Caroline b 1856 md Jesse Allen Sparks
Mary b 1858
James b 1860
Sarah b 1863 I have as marrying an unknown Goins and having children by Hiram Click (according to one childs death record)
Louisa b 1865 md John Terry
William b 1867 md Sarah Sparks
Cynthia (Syntha)b 1870 md Jesse Sargent (my gr grandparents)
Nancy b 1873
Thurman (Fleming) b 1874 possibly md Alvira Fraley
Thomas b 1874 md Anna
George A b 1878 md Nora

Posted: 2 May 2012 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Click Gluck Glick
The Click's came here in the 1700s as Glucks. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that they were Hessian Soldiers that defected, taking oaths of allegiance to Maryland and Pennsylvania. Many then indentured themselves to obtain property. Some did not escape the "slave" class until after emancipation.

The Glucks are historically known to be of a "Gypsy Jewish" class (from the same Black/Swabian Forest area as many of the related families). But there is little to no evidence that they practiced Judaism once they were sent to this country.

There were only a handful of Glucks that started the whole line of "Clicks" that can be found in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Indiana, etc in the 1800s. The "African American" Click/Apple line from Tennessee is also related.

However, what makes it difficult is that, for the most part, the Clicks did not read or write English for the first few generations they were here. Combined with their accents, record keepers spelled their name Klich, Klick, Clich, Glich, Glick, Glueck.... You will have more luck going line by line on master lists than you will with an online search engine that relies on spelling.

I suspect you have the "Americanized" version of John's name. Records, at that time, would have more likely listed him as Johann or Johannas Gluck. AND...it is probably spelled strangely on top of that.

The "John Click" in my family is Johann Nickolas von Gluck. The "von" seems to be pure invention. Possibly added to family records at a time where it would be more impressive to say you were from The Netherlands, as opposed to Germany.

One hint for me is that Amanda married a Henry Booman. I wonder if he was from the Bauman family. I see Clicks and Baumanns together regularly. The Baumann's also show up on lists of Hessian soldiers.

Studying up on the Browns will tell you a lot about the Clicks also. They were a very specific people. The Alvira/Elvira name is very specific for this time period.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions