Search for content in message boards

Ray/Sturdivant

Ray/Sturdivant

Joyce Ray Elwell (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2008 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Ray, Sturdivant, Ellington, Mitchell
I am researching my family from Taliaferro County, Georgia. Mary Jones' daughter, Sabrina/Sabra Jones married Thomas Ray about 1820, Taliaferro Co., Ga.
Their son, James A. Ray married Sarah J. Sturdivant,1847.
Stephen Ellington married Melvina Mitchell 1850.
I am hoping to find the parents of these people. Any help is appreciated. Hope to hear from a cousin out there. Thank you and have a nice day.

Joyce Ray Elwell
Seajoy1@Aol.Com

Mitchell Family

Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 4:39AM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Ellington, Forrester, Heard, Overton, Evans, Rhodes, Hardin, Edwards, Trippe
Hi Joyce. Here's what little I know of the Mitchell family. As mentioned before, Melvinia Mitchell who married Stephen Ellington, Jr., was daughter of Joseph Mitchell and his wife Willy Ann (Unknown).

JOSEPH MITCHELL was born ca. 1798, VA, son of John and Margaret (Unknown) Mitchell. He is listed in the 1850 Taliaferro Co. Census as age 52, born VA. Wife Willyann, age 53, b. VA.
Children listed:
Martha Ann, 23, b. VA
Mary G., age 22, b. VA
MELVINA Y, age 21, b. VA
Rubien? S., age 20, student, b. VA
(Note: I think it likely the children were all born in GA rather than VA.)

JOHN MITCHELL, b. ca. 1770, VA, d. ?, GA. His wife Margaret is listed in the 1850 Greene Co. census as age 70, born VA.
Children:
1. Sarah Ann Mitchell, b. ?, d. before 1859. Married 17 Dec. 1840, Greene Co., GA to Jesse M. Forrester.
2. Thomas A. Mitchell, b. ca. 1795, d. ca. 1861.
3. Joseph Mitchell, b. ca. 1798, VA, married Willy Ann (Unknown).
4. Matilda Mitchell, b. 11 July 1800, d. 17 June 1869, Greene Co., GA (buried Bethesda Cemetery, Greene Co.). Married William Heard.
5. John G. Mitchell, b. ca. 1802. Married Angelina (Unknown).
6. Hugh C. Mitchell, b. ca. 1805, d. ca. 1863, Greene Co., GA. Married Harriett (Unknown).
7. Eliza Mitchell, b. ca. 1811, d. after 1870. Married (1) Thomas Overton, (2) 3 Feb. 1852, Taliaferro Co., to John Evans.
8. Margaret Mitchell, b. ca. 1814. Married 18 Dec. 1840, Greene Co., to Wiley Rhodes, son of Benjamin Rhodes.
9. George W. Mitchell, b. 4 July 1819, d. 30 Sept. 1875 (buried Crawfordville Baptist Cemetery) Taliaferro Co. Married (1) 14 Sept. 1854, Corintha A. Hardin and (2) 14 June 1868 to Catherine Edwards. (Catherine Edwards was first married to Dr. John H. Trippe, 30 May 1825.

RECORDS:

Will of Thomas Mitchell, Taliaferro Co., Ga Will Rec. A, pp. 179-282.
MITCHELL, THOMAS A. Made 2/17/1859, prob. 11/4/1861. Mentions brothers: John G. Mitchell, Hugh C. Mitchell, Joseph S. Mitchell and son Jacob W.H. Mitchell, George W. Mitchell.
Sisters: Elizabeth Alsop(deceased half-sister),
Matilda Heard and son John T. Heard, Eliza Evans, Margaret C. Rhodes, and Sarah N. Forester (dec'd). Exec: brothers John, Hugh and George.
Test: Quinea O'Neal, Geo. F. Bristow, Esau Ellington.

(Greene Co., GA WB G, p. 286) Will of Hugh C. Mitchell, dated 18 July 1863.
To oldest son Charles Mitchell, a negro boy named Little John, my land to remain undivided as a home for my wife and three children for them to live there as long as she is my widow. Should she marry, property to be sold and divided into seven parts.
To son Charles B. Mitchell one share; to daughter Mary G. Mitchell one share; to daughter Margan Heard one share; to son Hugh F. Mitchell one share; to son William Oscar Mitchell one share; to daughter Sarah A. Mitchell one share. . To wife Hariet D. Mitchell one share. My negroes are not to be sold but divided among my children.
Appoint George W. Mitchell, William Heard, John T. Heard and son Charles B. Mitchell executors.
Wit: Otis Thornton, William A. Overton, G. W. Smith, Joel
Thronton and James T. O'Neal. Rec: 3 Nov. 1663. Eugenius L. King, Ordinary.

-----------------------------------------------------
SOURCES:

1. 1850 U.S. Census, Taliaferro Co., GA,
2. 1850 U.S. Census, Greene Co.,GA,.
3. Taliaferro Co., GA Will Record A,
4. Freda Reid Turner, Greene County, Georgia Wills 1786-1877, Wolfe Publishing, Fernandina Beach, FL (1998)
5. Rice & Williams, History of Greene County, Georgia, Reprint Co., Spartanburg, SC (1979),
6. E. H. Armor, Cemeteries of Greene Co., Georgia, Agee Publishers, Inc. (1987),
7. Marriage Book A, Taliaferro Co.,GA,
8. Wiley B. Jones, Rest In Peace, etc., Wilkes Pub. Co.,
Washington, GA (1984),
9. Mrs. John Bennett Boddie, Historical Southern Families,
Overton of GA, Geneal. Pub. Co., Volume XXII.

Stephen Ellington

Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 4:39AM GMT
Surnames: Ellington, Mitchell, Stewart
Hi Joyce. I have a little info. on some of these folks.

STEPHEN ELLINGTON, JR. was born ca. 1831, died ca. 1915 in Taliaferro Co. Son of Stephen Ellington, Sr. and Mariah/Maria Stewart. He is listed in the 1850 Taliaferro Co. census as head of household with one person living with him, John Jordan, age 50. He married 21 Dec. 1851, Taliaferro Co., to Melvinia Mitchell, daughter of Joseph Mitchell and his wife Willy Ann (Unknown).

STEPHEN ELLINGTON, SR. Married 28 Aug. 1819, Wilkes Co., GA to Mariah/Maria Stewart, daughter of Amos & Martha (Unknown) Stewart. I've seen it stated that Mariah/Maria was a Jackson but all published marriage records for Wilkes Co. show her as Mariah Stewart. In addition, the following records show the Stewart relationship. In Taliaferro Co. Deed Bk. E, Stephen Ellington deeded land in 1853 to Amos Ellington and mentions “My Grandfather Amos Stewart.” Another deed from Esau Ellington to Amos Ellington the same year mentions “My deceased father Stephen Ellington” and “My Grandfather Amos Stewart.”

These two deeds show that Stephen Ellington, Sr. and wife Mariah had at least two sons: (1) Stephen, Jr., and (2) Esau Ellington. I believe that Amos Ellington, mentioned in the deeds, was probably another son of Stephen, Sr.

Amos Stewart left a will in Taliaferro Co., written March 8, 1834, probated July 3, 1837 (Will Rec. A, pp. 118-119). He named his wife Martha and children, Owen Stewart, Olive Harper, Mariah Ellington, and Tabitha Gresham (who was wife of Archibald Gresham).

I have traced these Ellingtons back to Amelia Co., VA but there is much conflicting information and it is difficult to determine just who was the father of Stephen Ellington, Sr. Maybe someone else will see this and help us out.
More later,
Rhoda

Re: Stephen Ellington

Posted: 22 Jun 2001 11:58AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2008 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Ellington, Nunnelee
I have just started looking for my Ellington's. What I do know and proven by legal records is my 3g-g/parents were James D. Gresham and Mary Polly [Ellington] of Taliafero Co, Ga.
Early Records of Georgia, pg 134:
"ELLINGTON, JOSIAH, Sr. "Advanced in life." To wife Elizabeth home place on the Augusta Road, all personal estate for life or widowhood, final division to daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Wilson, and all my children except the heirs of David Ellington, dec'd. Confirms gifts and adds $2.00 each to the heirs of David Ellington, dec'd. to dau. Elizabeth Wilson, son Simeon Ellington, grandchildren, the heirs of Josiah Ellington (Jr/ku), dec'd. son Hezekiah Ellington, dau. Sarah, wife of James Chivers, dau. Polly, wife of James D. Gresham, dau. Nancy, wife of Richard Daniel, dau. Dolletha, wife of Springer Gibson. To niece Frances Gibson a slave. James D. Gresham and William Jones, Excrs. Signed Dec. 11, 1818. Probated Feb. 1, 1819. Buford Bird, Thos. G. Jones, William Ogletree, Test. "
James and Mary Polly's daughter Caroline [Gresham] who married Walter E. Nunnelee 29 Apr 1828 in Taliafero Co are my 2g-g/parents.
Does your Stephen Ellington connect to my Mary Polly or her father Josiah Sr??? At this point since I'm just beginning my search, my main interest is the siblings, spouses, birth, death, marriage info on 4g-g/f Josiah Ellington Sr and 3g-g/m Mary Polly [Ellington] Gresham.
Kathye [Payne] Upham
kupham@neto.com

Re: Mitchell Family

Posted: 24 Sep 2001 2:32PM GMT
Hi Rhoda,
I just wanted to thank you for the information that you have sent to me. I really appreciate it so much. I have been at a loss on these families (Ellington & Mitchell) and you have certainly opened the door for me. Again, thank you so much.
Have a nice day.
Thank you
Joyce

Posted: 24 Sep 2001 2:41PM GMT
Hi Kathye,
I have read the names you are asking about, but have not made a connection to them. My ancestors are Stephen Ellington and Melvina Mitchell Ellington of Taliaferro Co. His father was Stephen Ellington Sr.and mother was Mariah Stewart Ellington. I am not sure where or how your ancestor fits in. If I find any information, I will be happy to send it on to you. I wish you luck on your search.
Have a nice day.
Joyce

Re: Mitchell Family

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 11:57PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2003 9:27PM GMT
Do you have any more information regarding: 8. Margaret Mitchell, b. ca. 1814. Married 18 Dec. 1840, Greene Co., to Wiley Rhodes, son of Benjamin Rhodes.
I am trying to find ancestors of my gr grandfather Jepthy Mitchell Rhodes, born somewhere around 1890. Thanks!

Danny Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2001 9:08PM GMT
Joyce,

I saw your response and would like to share some info. My ancestor was Amos Stewart who was Mariah Stewart Ellington's father. I will be happy to share some info.

Amos Stewart

Terri (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2008 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Ogletree, Stewart
I am looking for a few Stewarts. Would you have Amos whom married Lucinda Ogletree in Taliaferro County July 20, 1831. Love to chat about others with you.

Thanks in advance
Terri

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Stewarts, Ellingtons
Danny,

I am sorry to have taken this long to respond to your e-mail. It is amazing how bogged down we get in this wonderful world of researching our families and how many paths we get on during the research. Again, I am sorry, I didn't mean to be neglectful.
My Great, Great Grandparents were Stephen and Melvina Mitchell Ellington. They were married on 20 December 1851, Taliaferro Co., Ga.
My GGGGrandparents were Stephen and Mariah Stewart Ellington.
Do you have any information on this family that you would be kind enough to share with me? You once mentioned that the Stewarts were Quakers and lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia. That is so interesting. Is it possible for me to get a copy of this and/or any of the legal documents that you have on the Stewarts and Ellingtons?
Other family names are: Ray, Evans, Stephens, Sturdivant, Littleton, Gheesling to name a few.
I have nothing on Stephen and Mariah Stewart Ellington Sr.other than they were married on 28 August 1819 in Wilkes, Co., Ga. Do you know if this is correct? I have gone all through my notes and this is all I know about the family.

I think you so much for your time in reading this and in advance for all you help.

Thank you and Have a nice day.

Joyce Ray Elwell
Seajoy1@Aol.Com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic