Search for content in message boards

Bullen family of Brighton, Sussex, England

Bullen family of Brighton, Sussex, England

Laurie Rands (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2003 8:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bullen
I have a George Edward BULLEN, born Isle of Wight who married a Susan or Sarah. They had the following children, Sarah, Edward, Susan, Frances, George, Arthur, Frederick, Elsie and an Annie. All of these children were born in the Brighton, Sussex area, the first being born in 1879 and the last in 1899. We know that Elsie married an Australian man and left England, but what happened to the others?. Anyone out there who has a connection to the Brighton Bullens.

Laurie Rands

Re: Bullen family of Brighton, Sussex, England

Posted: 25 Feb 2005 9:36PM GMT
I have a Sarah Bullen(Born 1853),but she was living with her brother 1901 and it says she is single but see below incase it is useful) she had a brother Charles Bullen born 1851 married to Annie Bullen, Living 44 South Terr, Littlehampton,Sussex (1901 census) They had a daughter Mabel Barbara (b1878 littlehampton) she had an illigitimate son Jack Bullen b1900 (who was my Grandfather) he is with a wet nurse on the 1901 census. But later he was to live in Littlehampton with his Grandparents Charles and Annie Bullen. Mabel went to Australia, but we then loose track of her,family story is that she died when ship sunk! Annie and Charles also had Minie Bullen, who married Fred Bloomfield and eventually lived in London, and Maxwell Bullen who married and had 2 children Alan and Ann.

Jack Bullen Married Dorothy Fathers and had 3 Children Jack,( who died at the age of 2 years, I can find his d.o.b if you want it) Dorothy Bullen (my Mother b1930, M, Alan Rosser b1928 Oxford) and John Bullen b1936?

Hope this is of help to you

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 7:45PM GMT
On the surface of things, it looks like your BULLEN family and mine are not connected, or at least at this moment in time, I cannot see a connection. My BULLEN family were all in the Brighton Sussex area, Edward Bullen born 1819, married Sarah nee Rands, and they had the following children, Rhoda Ann Bullen, born 1845, married a Thomas Edward Randall, Edward Bullen, born 1846 married a Catherine Davis or Jones, George Edward Bullen born 1849 married Susan Remnant, John Isaac Bullen born 1853 married ? and Annie Sarah Bullen born 1858 married Charles Akehurst.
Certainly if in the future, you may think there may be another way of connection, please by all means make contact with me again, as I am always interested in any connected family.

Laurie Rands
New ZEaland

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 9:08PM GMT
On the surface of things, it looks like your BULLEN family and mine are not connected, or at least at this moment in time, I cannot see a connection. My BULLEN family were all in the Brighton Sussex area, Edward Bullen born 1819, married Sarah nee Rands, and they had the following children, Rhoda Ann Bullen, born 1845, married a Thomas Edward Randall, Edward Bullen, born 1846 married a Catherine Davis or Jones, George Edward Bullen born 1849 married Susan Remnant, John Isaac Bullen born 1853 married ? and Annie Sarah Bullen born 1858 married Charles Akehurst.
Certainly if in the future, you may think there may be another way of connection, please by all means make contact with me again, as I am always interested in any connected family.

Laurie Rands
New Zealand

Posted: 22 Aug 2005 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: BULLEN
Oh my god, I don't believe this. My Grandfather was Arthur Bullen his father being George Edward and mother was Susan Ann Bullen of 33 Hendon Street, Brighton. I have just started tracing my father's family tree and last week went and took photographs of 33 Hendon Street where my grandfather was born. It would be fantastic to hear from you. I have the census records which show all the names that you have listed as being my grandfathers siblings.

Karen Sillence (nee Bullen)

Posted: 12 May 2008 7:59AM GMT
Elsie is my Great Grandmother Susans sister. I'm guessing you are a descendant of Sarah Rands.
There were other children - I will name them all.
Sarah 1880
Susan 1882
Georgina 1882
I dont know if these were twins or not...
Edward 1885
Alice 1887
Frances 1889
George 1890
Arthur 1892 - D1980
Fred 1896
Elsie 1897 - D1922
Annie 1898
Ellen 1903 - D1979

Posted: 12 May 2008 8:35AM GMT
Hi Corinne,
Since placing my query on the web site, I have managed to complete the entire Bullen family tree, and have most of the info,,, although I do not have a person named Corinne on the tree, as a great granddaughter of Elsie,, I am interested, which twig do you belong to?????? Elsie Mabel Bullen was born on the 8th December 1896 in Brighton, and married James Percy Ogden. They had just 3 children Mabel, Edmond and Albert.. If you want any info, just get in touch directly on

frankandlaurie@aumarire.co.nz

Laurie
New Zealand

Posted: 12 May 2008 1:22PM GMT
no sorry, her sister susan is my great great. wondering how far back you have gone? i have matthias bullen, 1671, st martins in the fields.
susan had georgina illegitimately, georgina had barbara illegitimately, although barbara took her stepfathers name, clues, then barbara married a triance and had phillip, and phillip had me. if u dont have this line i can give you all the information you need, and i would love to see what you have gathered. thanks.

Posted: 12 May 2008 9:10PM GMT
Hi again Corinne,
It is easier if we communicate via directly, my e-mail address is

frankandlaurie@aumarire.co.nz

Yes, I thought I recognized your name, I have you on my database, I have been in touch in the past with your aunt Joanne, in fact I have a photo of yourself and your sister Tamsin, taken with your grandfather Maurice, you look like your about 18 months old. We also met Joseph George Andrew ( Andy ) Clues when my husband and I were in WA a couple of years back.
I have taken the Bullen tree back to Edward Bullen born abt 1870 and his wife Elizabeth nee Hewitt. I don;t really want to take it back any further, as our direct line comes in from their grandson Edward Bullen ( 1819) who married Sarah Rands.
If you would like to make contact, please by all means e-mail us
Laurie and Frank Rands
New Zealand

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 4:36PM GMT

Hello

I am related to a Mabel Bullen and her son Jack Bullen.

Would Susan Webb or Laurie Rands like to contact me or anyone else looking for information. I have details about Mabel and Australia

Tony Bullen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic