Search for content in message boards

Erdmanns in Dodge County, WI

Erdmanns in Dodge County, WI

Posted: 29 Aug 2001 12:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 3:30PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann, Zahn
My greatgrandparents (August) emigrated to WI in 1856 - my grandparents were married there - his name was August and hers was Wilhelmina Zahn. I am interested in any Erdmanns of that line still living in WI.

Re: Erdmanns in Dodge County, WI

Chris Miasnik (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2002 9:14AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann, Koepsell, Hennig, Henning
Gertrude, I may not live in Dodge Co., but my some of my roots are certainly there. My ancestors (3ggps), Gottlieb Erdmann and his wife, Johanna Koepsell, immigrated from Kniephof, Naugard, Stettin, Pommern, Prussia to Town Herman, just east of Iron Ridge, WI in the 1850's. I descend from their daughter, Henrietta who married Gottlieb Henni(n)g.
Your August could be a nephew to Henrietta, but I've never checked it out. I have some early land plat maps of the area and know there were other Erdmanns in Town Herman. August may have been one of them. So, let me know if any of this sounds familiar.....chrismiasnik@juno.com

Re: August Erdmann

Posted: 13 Mar 2003 3:18AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2006 7:09PM GMT
Surnames: erdmann
I have run across an August Erdmann who emigrated
with my GG grandparents on the Freihandel and landed
in NY on Nov 27 1867.
nl
ps
I have a new e-mail pearl-man@ameritech.net

Posted: 12 Jul 2006 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann
Dear Gertrude;

I do believe we come from the same Erdmann background. Please contact me and we can check it out.

Sincerely,

Tina

Cheryl Scott (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2006 2:30PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann, Erdman
Andreas Erdmann is my direct ancestor and had about 4 brothers all born in Prussia before they left. My family came to America around 1842 from Strozewo, Poznan, Prussia. I found their Christening records in Prussia church records. I am not sure where they came in to America, but they lived in Beaver Dam, WI before the Civil War. My ancestor participated in the Civil War per his wife's recollection, but I can't find his record. Later they moved to Steele and Waseca Counties in Minnesota. Most of the information I have is from a Steele County history book that was written shortly after Andreas died. Many of the families are still living in MN.
Thanks,
Cheryl Erdman Scott

Re: Andreas Erdmann

Posted: 13 Jul 2006 4:15AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2006 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann
Dear Cheryl;

I did some hunting for you today and found your relative Andr Erdmann (estimated birth 1851) immigrating from Prussia when he was 33 years old. He arrived at New York June 18, 1884. He came on a ship named the Suevia with 10 other Erdmanns'. They all appear to be from the same family.
Our Erdmann family also came from Russia/Prussia and sailed around the same time. In looking at some of the Pedigree charts it's apparent that we have some distant relatives.
You mentioned that your relatives settled in the Beaver Dam, Dodge Cty. area (which is where we live). My husbands family also settled in the same area about 25 miles up the road in a little town called Watertown.
E-mail me if you would like me to send you some attachments of what I have found.

Tina

Re: Andr Erdmann

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2006 2:50PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2006 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: erdmann
Tina,
Thanks for looking, but I think you have a different Andr Erdmann. If I remember correctly, mine was born in 1832 and had already settled in MN by 1880. I have read of a large group of Erdmanns coming to America in the 1880's though. I have not yet found connection, but I am sure there is one somewhere.
From reading the Steele County resident history book written shortly after Andreas died, it says that he did go to school some, lived in Beaver Dam for an unknown amount of time, then moved to Steele County, MN. Somwhere in there he got married and served in the Civil War for a short period but was injured.
I tried to get city records from Beaver Dam but they were damaged in a flood or water mishap in the storage basement. And I haven't checked with the churches in the area yet. Do they have records back to the 1800's? I appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Cheryl

Re: Erdmann

Posted: 15 Jul 2006 2:38AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann, Miller
Tina,
Are you aware of any family members named Miller who might have been related to the Erdmann family you refer to? In my data, I have a Maria Erdmann who married to Friedrich Gottlieb Miller in Hoff, Kreis Greifenberg, Pommern. This was in 1851. The marriage record indicates she was the daughter of Hans Erdmann from Triebs, Kr. Greifenberg. The reason I ask is that many of my family members (before 1885), first immigrated to the area around Watertown and Waterloo, and these families all tended to settle around relatives. I do know that Friedrich Miller and Maria Erdmann had at least two daughters, Johanne Juliane Therese Miller (b. 27 Dec 1853) and Wilhelmine Caroline Auguste Miller (b. 7 Mar 1857), both born in Hoff. Friedrich Miller was my gr-gr grandmother's oldest brother. I don't know that they ever immigrated.

Gertrude DeBow (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 4:19AM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2006 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: erdmann, zahn
My grandfather was August Erdmann who married Wilhelmina Zahn. They had 10 children during the time they lived in Dodge County. Seveeral of them married there. My father, also August Eerdmann moved to South Dakota with his father and established a farm in Brown County,

Re: Erdmann / Miller

Tina Erdmann (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 7:41AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 3:34PM GMT
Surnames: Erdmann, Miller
Don;
In fact I have a mother-in-law that was a Miller and married Henry Erdmann. Her father was Fred A Miller DOB 1876 and her mother was Martha B Milller DOB 1877. There are siblings and I know that Freds' father immagrated from Germany around 1885.
Hope this helps.

Tina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions