Search for content in message boards

Rosier and DeRosier

Rosier and DeRosier

Bonnie Smith (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know if there is a connection between the Rosier family name and the DeRosier family name? Where does the Rosier name come from? I would appreciate any help about this.

Rosier/DeRosier

Posted: 29 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DeRosier, Derozier
I responded privately to Roberta's posting. I also heard the same story in our family but without the reference to the French Revolution. Recent information indicates a Claude Derozier or his son Jacques Ignace DeRossier working at Versailles as a pastry cook in the late 1700s.

Does anyone know of a connection to the Rosier/DeRosier family and a small town in Switzerland near the Petit Pass of St. Bernard on the way to Lake Como by the name of Rosier? Any help is appreciated.

Rosier/DeRosier

Posted: 29 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: ROSIER, HOLLISTER, PALMER, EVANS, BURGESS, HOWARD, EVANS, GOULD, CORBETT, VAN BUSKIRK, CARPENTER, BABCOCK, LOOMIS, SCOTT, POWELL, KETCHAM, JOHNSON, COBURN, SAWYER
The name Rosier--according to my husband's family stories--came from the people who worked in the castle for the King of France who tended the Rose gardens. They were a wealthy family and when the French Revolution took place, they had to flee from France without their wealth to avoid being assisnated. I don't know about the connection, but there probably is. I hope this helps. But please remember that this is a story that has been passed down through my husband's family. His mother was a Rosier.

Rosier/DeRosier

Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
I knew that the first man up was a DeRosier but never pursued it. Thanks for the information. I'm actually tracking info on Louis DeRosier, who died in 1770 in the Battle of Bayou Manchac--in Louisiana, and my ancestor, Jaque (Jacques) Ignace DeRosier, who appears to have arrived in LA in 1758 as a soldier in service to the king. Jaque was born in Versailles, France, and worked as a "pastry cook," but I don't know if this means he worked in the palace as a pastry cook. His parents were Claude Derozier and Catherine Sua. I'd like to know if Louis and Jaque are related. Jaque died abt. 1779 and is listed with the DAR as a Revolutionary War soldier fighting with Spain in LA against the British. I don't know if he died from wounds he received in the war--would like to learn that. And I'd like to know who his siblings were. Also, if Rosier and DeRosier are related, I'd like to learn how. Perhaps we have common ancestors. Many thanks for writing, Mary.

DeRosier

Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2003 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Rosier, Bischoff, Goff, Channel, Beavers, Funk, Garner, Smith, McDaniel
I went to the Air and Space Museum in DC to see if they had any info on the Philatre DeRosier that they feature because he was the first human to go up in a hot air balloon; not much--his father propositioned him by ligitimizing him if he went up in the balloon (now there's a father's true love of his son--willing to risk his life for his schemes); wrote French International Library for info; got very little. My family story stems from this man--have hugh doubts!

Re: Rosier/DeRosier

Luana Malone (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2002 4:55PM GMT
My mother married Robert Rosier in Maryland, I don't know the year. My half-brother was born and raised in Baltimore MD by the Baldwins. According to my mother, Robert Rosier, my half-brother's father died there in MD. Unfortunately she did not tell me the year. I need to send for a death certificate and a marriage certificate, but I have not had the chance as yet. You can reply to me at the above email. Thank you for this valuable information.

Re: Rosier and DeRosier

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2006 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: DEROSEAR, DEROSIER, DEROZIER, DESROSIERS, ETC.
Family story goes, that possible Sarah (Bristow) DeRosear, wife of William DeRosear, was the person who first wrote the surname. She was English therefore probably didn't know the correct spelling. I am finding that the story is not correct as I have come across other people on censues with the name spelled as DeRosear and to the family's knowledge these people were not close relatives.

Name: Joseph DEROSEAR
Home in 1880, (City,Co,State): Worcester, Worcester, MA
1880 US Census
Age in 1880 Est.: 30
Birth Year: <1850>
Birthplace: Canada
Race: White
Relation to head-of-house: Other (boarder with Dube family)
Marital Status: Single

William was born in Kentucky to Pierre/Peter DeRosear of Quebec. Along with his father, Joseph, Pierre was a horse trader. William's mother's name nor heritage is known. William's mother died when he was 3 years old. His father took him to Quebec. William came to the US when he was 17 around 1832 and remained here for the duration of his life.

Does anyone know anything about this Joseph DeRosear?

Thank you advance for any and all replies.

Joan

Posted: 23 Jun 2009 7:55PM GMT
In responce to Holly, that is the same story I heard growing up, but I heard that there were two brothers and when they split up once they got to Canada, one brother kept the De and the other dropped it, not sure how much of that is true though.

Posted: 9 Jun 2010 7:35PM GMT
You have the Corbetts listed in your family tree. My great-grandmother was Elisabeth Corbett who married Michel Pichet-Dupre in Sorel,Quebec,Canada. She always had a picture of Gentleman Jim Corbett, the boxer on her wall. She told
my mother they were related. This family expands into the DeRosier family. Do you have any connection?

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Corbett, Dupre
Hi, I am descended from Elisabeth Corbett also, who married Michel Dupre. If you receive this message I hope that you will contact me. I live in Minnesota & have many ties to the Centerville area. I have photos of Michel Dupre & others; looking for more info on James Corbett, I have some from Sorel records.

Michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions