Search for content in message boards

Winsett /Wimsett Family, Yorkshire, England

Winsett /Wimsett Family, Yorkshire, England

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 10:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WINSETT,WIMSETT
My grandmother (1914-1988) was born DORIS WINSETT in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK. She was one of 10 chidlren. Her father spelt his name "WIMSETT" on his marriage licence. Father's name: FRANCIS WINSETT, married JANE or JENNY WHITE in 1892. Please can anyone help with WINSETT/WIMSETT research as have drawn a definite blank in the UK.

Thanks and Regards

Re: Winsett /Wimsett Family, Yorkshire, England

Robert Winesett (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2002 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Winsett/Wimsatt/Winsatt/Wynsett
I am not an authority but I noticed that the same person would be listed a Wimsatt/Winsatt/Winsett sometimes with a single "t" or an "e" after the second "t". The family had been in America since the very early 1700's if not the late 1600's. They were first in Maryland and then North Carolina. Some went from Maryland to Kentucky (Nelson County) in the 1790's and then on to Illinois. Some of the NC bunch including those from Maryland went to Tennessee in the 1780/90 timeframe. They moved on to Alabama, Missouri and to Texas and California in the early 1800's.

In Great Brittain I did not find any Wimsatts listed but there were Winset/Winsett/Wynset listings. There are still Winsetts in England and, I believe, Australia/New Zeland.
Dorothy Wimsatt of Nelson County has done extensive research on those from Kentucky.

I hope this helps some.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 5:42AM GMT
Surnames: wimset wimsett winset winsett
Hi my Wimsett tree goes way back to 1650 but seem to have stopped in Kent, family also in Sussex but seem to have links to Winsett in Yorkshire, the earliest mention I have found to date being Winsett House at Skeffling but to date no common link, Wimsetts from around 1850 from our family seem to make regular trips to the States, Maryland in particular. Spellings from Wimsett through to Whimpsett seem to exist at various times. Happy to share what I have
Alan Wimsett

Posted: 9 Oct 2009 11:14PM GMT
If I am not mistaken the orginal Winsett may have come for the low land os Scottland. My sister did our family tress and traced it to that area. They were there before they came to England. I wish I had gotten a copy of that information but unfortnately she passed away a year ago.

I was also reading about the Winsetts having heart problems and I can so far back this up three generations, with me being the third.

Hope this information helps.

I am the great Granddaughter of Ashley Winsett, Grand daughter of Ferris Winsett, Daughter of Kenneth Winsett. My grandparent originated out of Hobbs Island, Alabama.

Trina Winsett Nelson

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 11:37PM GMT
Surnames: wimsett
Hello my name is cheryl wimsett. I'm looking for family history. My father is richard wimsett and his mother was an Alkire. Looking to connect with others in the wimsett family line. e-mail is chervil_1@msn.com

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 9:28AM GMT
Hello, I am looking for Wimsett's from England that came to Maryland, USA. No one can seem to find the emigrating ancestor(s). Can you help with that? Would be very appreciate of any info you have.
Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions