Search for content in message boards

Can you identify the time period or military branch?

Can you identify the time period or military branch?

Posted: 13 May 2013 4:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone help me make narrow down a time period or branch of service in this picture? It seems like the style of helmet should give it away, but I've had no luck.
Attachments:

Re: Can you identify the time period or military branch?

Posted: 16 May 2013 8:22PM GMT
US Army sun helmet worn from 1881 to 1901. Considering the muzzle of the rifle the man in the left rear is holding, It looks like a 1903 Springfield. The man in the middle upper row has what appears to be Ordnance Corporal stripes ( corporal chevron over a flaming grenade). I'd say the time period was 1903 - 1907 when some units still wore the helmet even though it was no longer issued or considered a part of the uniform.

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~worldwarone...

Posted: 19 May 2013 12:32AM GMT
The puttees offer a clue to the date.

The website below indicates that the puttees held in place by a strap that wraps around three times, worn by most of the men, is the M1907 type.

A couple of them are wearing a longer type held in place by lace to the side, with a strap under the foot, including, most clearly, the man in the stetson. This may be the one dated 1917, but the website says they are similar to ones used circa 1900, and I can't find a picture of that.

So, the earliest date appears to be 1907.

http://www.aef-doughboys.com/leggings.html,

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 6:32AM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 12:07PM GMT
They are in the US Army. They are wearing leggings of the kind that was worn from 1903 to the early part of WWII. The army changed the legging design in the 1930 slightly, but the older leggings were still issued.

The one soldier is wearing a campaign hat, which was also worn up to WWII, which the other soldiers are wearing pith helmets, which was made of cloth, was worn to about 1910. It was mostly in topic climate and mostly in the Panama Canal. This was the kind that was worn during the US involvement during the Boxer Rebellion. The design was changed sometime prior to WWI when it was changed to a rounder style (most likely around 1910).

The rifle in the picture looks like a Krag (1880's) or possibly a Springfield (1898-1903), which also dates the photo to prior to 1941 the Krag was carried up to just before WWI, when the army change to the Springfield. The Springfield was carried up to the early part of WWII. One of the soldiers in the top row is a corporal, possibly in the Quartermaster Corps (but is is hard to make out the bottom part of the rank insignia, but usually only the Quartermaster and Medical Corps had an insignia below the stripes.

The building behind them appears to be a Headquarters building since it has bars on one of the windows. The bars were used to protect the armory or pay clerk's office and was usually in the HQ building for added security. The building is pre-WWI, since the design style of the army building changed.

All in all, I would estimate that the photo was taken sometime between 1898 and 1910.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 8:48PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping there would be some clues in the picture.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 8:51PM GMT
Thank You, Thank You!!

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 8:52PM GMT
Thanks again!

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 6:23AM GMT
Oh, I forgot to mention, the building is either in the south or South America, maybe Asian, but probably not. The military traditionally build raised building in those areas, for air flow. I know that the army had bases in the Panama Canal, Phillipeans, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Louisiana with those style buildings. There may be others.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 3:58PM GMT
No brick in Panamanian/Phillipine military buildings at this time period (I was stationed in both countries and rummaged around quite a bit), you can see the brick cellar and foundation in the photo. They would have had the louvered windows in Panama or the Phillipines at this time. Most likely a stateside base. Good call on the barred window. An administration building rather than a barracks.

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 11:46PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2013 11:53PM GMT
ycaso,
Is that a gunnery insignia under the chevrons of the two corporals and does it have any significance, eg like a USMC Gunnery Sergeant's chevrons?
Jeff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic