Search for content in message boards

Holland, Hollen or Wininger of Orange County IN

Holland, Hollen or Wininger of Orange County IN

Jim Wininger (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2000 9:45AM GMT
My father Elmer James Wininger (EJW) was possibly born in Orange County,IN on 7/27/11. He had two older siblings Clifford G or E or George C. and Cora May or Elinor or Eleanor. As each child reached their fifth birthday, they were removed from the custody of their parents by the County and placed in the Indianapolis Orphan's Asylum.(IOA) The pertinent records of the time are in unindexed boxes in the basement of the Courthouse. The records of the IOA are sketchy at best.

On some records the parents of the children are listed as Lucy Florence or Florence Lucy or Nellie Holland and Edward or Thomas or John Wininger.

At the time of the commitment the parents were either destitute and occcupants of the Orange County Poor Asylum with tuberculosis.

The 1880 Orange County, Greenfield Township Census lists a Richard and Elizabeth Holland living with two children John William and his parents or hers William Elizabeth.

The 1890 census was destroyed by fire.

The 1900 census lists a Richard and Mary Hollen (note spelling change). From the approximate age and location it may be the same Richard with a new wife and spelling of the last name. There are 8 children listed, Stella M.(a step daughter), Nellie E, Lucy F., Charley R., Samuel W., Inez B., Lula E., and Clarence R.

The 1910 census lists Nellie Holland with three children, Orville, G., Chloenia T., and Opal O. She is living with a Lucy F. Wininger, with two children, Cora E., and George C.

Does anyone have any records about the Holland, Hollen or Wininger of Orange County Indiana of the 1880 to 1920 era?

Jim Wininger

Holland and Wineinger of Dubois Co, IN

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 9:29PM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2003 3:05AM GMT
Jim,

My g-g-grandparents were William Wineinger and Elizabeth Holland. They were married in 1855 in Dubois Co, Indiana. Elizabeth and children are listed on Federal Cenuses from 1860 forward. William is not listed with them nor do I find him listed anywhere else. Do you know of this family?

You have interesting news about the Holland and Wininger families. I had not heard nor read of this before. Were the records kept at the courthouse in Paoli (Orange Co)?

Mark

Holland/Wininger

Jim Wininger (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2001 4:30AM GMT
I have been told the court records I need to confirm the mnames of my grandparents are in are in Orange County in un indexed boxes. The only records I have refer to just the last name 'Wininger' with no first names of either parent. Your response is the first I have had in three or four months. There seems to be no one with any record of dthe existence of my grandparents.

Holland / Wineinger of Orange Co, IN

Posted: 2 Feb 2001 7:07PM GMT
Jim,

Thank you for your response. I search my family members' names. I do not have your family. Sorry. You might try the on-line Orange Co birth and death indexes. You will find it on the GenWeb site for Orange Co, Indiana.
Regards, Mark.

Re: Holland and Wineinger of Dubois Co, IN

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a William Wineinger born 1813, married Elizabeth Neal boen 1817. they were married approx. 1844. Could tis be the same Elizabeth and William??? Dick Corman Dikkybird@aol.com

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 12:22AM GMT
Dear Dick,

The Elizabeth is not the correct lady; however, I don't know about William. I have no information about him at this time. My Elizabeth was born ca. 1835 in Indiana. I think that she had a sister named Mary Holland but this is not confirmed.
Thank you for your note and information on your William Wineinger.
Regards, Mark.

Posted: 29 Jan 2002 2:56AM GMT
Mark: I have William Wineinger marrying an Elizabeth Neal 1841 in IN. They ended up in MO. (I think) and had 8 children. But our grandfather Daneil Boone Wineinger was called a half brother but had an obit showing William and Elizabeth. Could our William had remarried Elizabeth Holland in 1855? Interesting possiblitity, But who knows. Do you have the children from the Holland Wineinger marriage? Dick Corman Dikkybird@aol.com

Posted: 2 Feb 2002 12:23AM GMT
Dear Dick,
I don't know any additional news about William and Elizabeth (Holland) Wineinger / Wininger. The only children I know of are Andy and Margaret.
Regards,
Mark.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic